Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 10th April 2008, 12:36   #451
Senior - BHPian

The blue one is a willys station wagon. and friends, Our Mahindras had bought out the old dies for this wagon from jeep, after they discontinued this wagon, with the intention to launch it in india!!! The project was subsequently shelved in 1968!! and the dies were discarded/scrapped.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 13:09   #452
BHPian

Was offerd a Willys station Wagon a few years back for 55 grand. It was in good condition with all the things intact, even the orignal Willys wheelcaps were there. This family had 3 or 4 such jeeps in the family.Cant recollect their names, But remember the place they stay in Pune ( Fatima Nagar ) and in the parking lot of their building, remember seeing a small 2 seater Red car similar to a MG. Cant recollect as this was nearly 10 to 12 years back. Karl Any Idea ???
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 13:51   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Many thanks, Prabal babu!
Not at all Stanher, I wish I could retire and spend all my time with automobiles!

Quote:
Good doctor he does sound like. But maybe didnt want to sound too good so he refuses to negotiate on the price!
Price is always subjective, but I think Doc started off being reasonable. And he's got response for sure! Do ask him for an inventory of the spares also (I think he's advertised those too) and see you factor that in your cost, and more importantly check receipt of the exact listed items later. Maybe, the manual and spares should be despatched separately?

There's transportation cost, on top too; irritating bit that, not withstanding how cheap or dear (no puns, intended) the car herself is.

Quote:
Thats what I'm racking my brains on! Should I have the car packed off at jaipur itself or since he lives in delhi should I have him drive it down to Delhi & then have it sent from there (where it'll also be feasible for you/Ishan et al to check on it & see that its sent safely
Straight from jaipur, I'd say, since she can head out to Mumbai from there more easily and then to Hyderabad. Although offloading at Pune, could be an option too and then driving down to Hyderabad from there. Jaipur to Pune, should be around 10-12K if you get a returning trailer.

Doc driving down to Delhi?! Never know, he might want one last fling in his family "heirloom"! Doubtfull still. In any case, straight from Jaipur would be a better option, I feel.

Quote:
Sure! Your as welcome to having one as I'm to having copies of your manuals! Actually to be honest this is the main reason why I decided to take the plunge for this car! VERY rare to find a Herald with an original madras factory manual. Are yours imported Triumph ones or Standard ones btw?
Ditto, I've sometimes decided in favour of a purchase just because of the manual, or original keys, or original tool-kit/jack, etc.

Mine is by T.P. Postlethwaite published by C. Arthur Pearson Limited, London. Here are a couple of scans of the book - the cover and an inside page illustrating the models:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava;78996
That would be fantastic Prabal, I've figured something out & [B
am PM'ing you my number!.[/b]
Haven't got your PM, Ishaan. Maybe as a newbie that facility isn't available to me. Wonder if I can PM you? I'll make an attempt to. Otherwise, Karl has my number. Karl, could you oblige please?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-herald-manual-cover.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-herald-manual-models.jpg  

Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 13:56   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Was offerd a Willys station Wagon a few years back for 55 grand. It was in good condition with all the things intact, even the orignal Willys wheelcaps were there. This family had 3 or 4 such jeeps in the family.Cant recollect their names, But remember the place they stay in Pune ( Fatima Nagar ) and in the parking lot of their building, remember seeing a small 2 seater Red car similar to a MG. Cant recollect as this was nearly 10 to 12 years back. Karl Any Idea ???
You will have to give me more details on the red car.

Was the Wagon you were offered a metallic blue with white top? There was one in Pune with all original fittings including the wheelcaps that used to visit my neighbour often. It had an MRX regn. Once there was another similar model parked in the same place, a cream one with a maroon roof. Its possible the same people you mention were visiting.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 17:13   #455
BHPian

Karl, when i had seen the jeep its top want painted white, but at that time he had said he was gona repaint the jeep so maybe he painted the top white, I will sms you the other details after getting in touch with my friend in Pune.
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 11:54   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, anyone interested in a Standard Gazel? There is a '77 model advertised for sale in Hyderabad:

Page 6 of Buy Used Cars Hyderabad Second Hand Cars, New Car Prices, Car Values, Hyderabad Used Cars on Sale Listings on Sulekha.com
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 11:55   #457
Senior - BHPian

a 1966 Yellow VW Beetle, LHD in the ebay india.

the car looks well maintained atleast from the pics.

and a 1962 mercedes (sorry i not good with those model numbers) but with a metador engine !!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 13th April 2008 at 12:02.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 12:06   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls don't even DREAM of even considering the 62 merc.
Its Totally crappified! Matador engine... felt interiors and all the nonsense u can do to a car has been done on this.

Btw, i think even the year is wrong as the 200 series came out only in 1965!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 12:10   #459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
a 1966 Yellow VW Beetle, LHD in the ebay india.
This ad has been on and off for months now. I also spotted at the car at this years Haig rally in Bombay. Seems fairly good for an easy restoration. Has all original bits inside like those hard to find ivory knobs, also a cool period radio and parcel shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-bug03.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-bug04.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-bug05.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 21:47   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, anyone interested in a Standard Gazel? There is a '77 model advertised for sale in Hyderabad:

Page 6 of Buy Used Cars Hyderabad Second Hand Cars, New Car Prices, Car Values, Hyderabad Used Cars on Sale Listings on Sulekha.com
The guy wants 1.5 lakhs
bluestraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 22:23   #461
BANNED

Nice bug guys,

Cool color, similar to mine.

Nice interiors, cool sticker in the rear.

Who would want to sell such a piece.

Anyways whats it up for?
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 22:55   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Mine is by T.P. Postlethwaite published by C. Arthur Pearson Limited, London. Here are a couple of scans of the book - the cover and an inside page illustrating the models:
Prabal: Sorry I totally forgot to reply to this post of yours- many thanks for sharing the manual scans! Its really fascinating! 'cant wait to check out the one coming with the Herald.
Old 14th April 2008, 02:20   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Anyways whats it up for?
The ad mentions the price as 3.25 which I assume is 3.25 lakhs. Is the price alright?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 11:41   #464
BHPian

Found this for sale and thought I should get down and talk to the broker who is selling it. Was given to understand that it is a 1975 model 2 owner car with of course a diesel engine. However he says that he could also have it fitted with the petrol engine that it came with. Hold on Stanher before you rush to see it. He is asking for a sum of 1.8 lakhs for this. Now lets hear what you folks have to say to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-img00339.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img00340.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img00341.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img00342.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-img00343.jpg  

suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 18:26   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, thats heavy! But 1975- it couldnt have been an original low-bonnet then but just a convert! Isnt worth that price!
Also where is the gearshift lever?? 'cant see one! That stalk on the column looks like an indicator stalk.

Last edited by Stanher : 14th April 2008 at 18:28.