Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 19:37   #1081
BHPian
 
alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು
Posts: 334
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

@mods sorry pls delete this post

Last edited by alias : 4th March 2009 at 19:49.
alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 10:51   #1082
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Ah the white one she is gorgeous did not know she needed restoration as she was mint to begin with there is a pic on one of the threads was she not owned by a infamous shoe magnet in the 80's?

The red one with whitewall tyers is the best restoration job I have seen she used to be pretty banged up (used regularly in Mum traffic) in the 80 and better part of 90's but she looks stunning after the resto job I was told the job was done overseas! is it true. Keep seeing her in Pali Hill

Last edited by canonball : 5th March 2009 at 10:54.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:51   #1083
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Ah the white one she is gorgeous did not know she needed restoration as she was mint to begin with there is a pic on one of the threads was she not owned by a infamous shoe magnet in the 80's?

The red one with whitewall tyers is the best restoration job I have seen she used to be pretty banged up (used regularly in Mum traffic) in the 80 and better part of 90's but she looks stunning after the resto job I was told the job was done overseas! is it true. Keep seeing her in Pali Hill
You are spot on. The shoe magnet has sold it to someone i know... and yes the car was quite good but had deteriorated due to neglect.

There is another white one owned by a Lawyer. He go t the car from Delhi which was red then, with fuel injection cancelled and got her restored beautifully here. He also went on to get the original radio from Germany for a packet and plonked in a a/c. The car then suffered overheating problems which was then fixed by adding an extra electrical fan. It is almost a daily drive now, only the guy is very tall (6-4.5) so getting in and out is not one of the most comfortable of things for him. It now adorns an MH number.

Yes Karl, its an MMF.

Re the red car, an original Juhu car, the job was done here itself and not overseas.

Theres something which is not right between my stars and the Pagoda tops stars

Its no secret i just love this shape and hopefully i will get one for myself one day, some day. I have had four opportunities to own a Pagoda Top and all times i found the price too high, besides nit having the funds for it. The first one was offered to me for 2.5, way, way back. Then the second for 4.5, then the third for 6.5 (what is the red one now), the for 9 (the yellow one) and now for 20 odd.

As time went on, i always found the previous offer cheap. This i had asked Scooby but as both he and me had not seen the car, he could not go for it. After two days the cart was reported sold for the asking price itself.

Last edited by V-16 : 5th March 2009 at 14:57.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:01   #1084
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

White one which was red before is it RHD or LHD? Wow all the retrofit a petty they did not come with power steering or did they it would really be a perfect daily dirver, not seen this white before is it south mumbai?

The red one used to be parked in Pali Hill next to Raheja House some years ago right after the ground up then I was told it is garaged near Cozy Home/even saw it enter there (less that 18 months ago) then I heard an actor bought it is that where it is in Juhu? Pagoda's are my favourite

Wait a minute wasn't this red car owned/driven by the parsi pottery/ceramic guy's wife in Pali in th 80's it was bought from a car investor/resturant owner in Pali itself. My friend was offered the car for 40K!!! with Hardtop in 1980 something!

Its a petty we cant import such beauties into India they will surely add to the countries motoring wealth not to mention create a new history. Surely if there were some section created which could not be abused by touts and dealers and just for private imports for certain types of classics (age maybe) it would be great dreams man!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2009 at 16:04. Reason: see note in post
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:43   #1085
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Was offered an E type Jag today!! 1971 V12 Phew! Mint I am Told. Sadly asking is 70. Yes 70 lacs?! Man thats crazy. Now if someone buys off this car in the next 2 days I will be surprised.
Pagoda, Yes I missed her. Gogi called me and we were like we need to see her, and the man then called 2 days later and said gone. Nevermind Gogi, you shall get one! and I shall get one too! Imports will open in a few years and we'll get concours cars.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:49   #1086
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,322
Thanked: 5,975 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Was offered an E type Jag today!! 1971 V12 Phew! Mint I am Told. Sadly asking is 70. Yes 70 lacs?! Man thats crazy. Now if someone buys off this car in the next 2 days I will be surprised.
How ironic. The E type made it really big because it was very affordable compared to the competition.

Was this a cabrio or hard top? I know of 2 V12 cabrios, both red, recently imported. A white V 12 hardtop came in in the 90s.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:56   #1087
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Hey Scooby you really think with all the emmission norms and environmental issues India will open imports of concours? They may lower duties and thresholds for new cars but old ones I don't see how, unless someone has given you a hint/indication of such a possibility.

If so that is great I would also like to import not one but a few concours

Last edited by canonball : 5th March 2009 at 16:09.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 01:03   #1088
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Hi Harit,

Interesting story there about your Amby and the banana trick. Motoring was so much fun in the old days, no? Okay, let me not stir up a hornet's nest here, although I guess, in the vintages and classics section we are relatively safe with such musings.

Karl,

I've seen the banana-extract-in-the-gearbox treatment being applied. What I've seen more is long-past-expiry-date grease in the differential!

Additives - STP, Valvoline, good yes, in many ways. But nothing like desi totka even in the automobiles at times - at least for sheer defeat of the inflationary index! Even the street mongrels are hardier than our own Rajapalayams and Mudhols, forget the pure imported bloodlines. well, I know, may not be a very apt similie here, but couldn't resist it, since I'm feeling quite doggone right now. And generally trying to give a shout for good old fashioned ingenuity!

Cheers,

P
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:22   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
White one which was red before is it RHD or LHD? Wow all the retrofit a petty they did not come with power steering or did they it would really be a perfect daily dirver, not seen this white before is it south mumbai?

The red one used to be parked in Pali Hill next to Raheja House some years ago right after the ground up then I was told it is garaged near Cozy Home/even saw it enter there (less that 18 months ago) then I heard an actor bought it is that where it is in Juhu? Pagoda's are my favourite

Wait a minute wasn't this red car owned/driven by the parsi pottery/ceramic guy's wife in Pali in th 80's it was bought from a car investor/resturant owner in Pali itself. My friend was offered the car for 40K!!! with Hardtop in 1980 something!

Its a petty we cant import such beauties into India they will surely add to the countries motoring wealth not to mention create a new history. Surely if there were some section created which could not be abused by touts and dealers and just for private imports for certain types of classics (age maybe) it would be great dreams man!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post
A story of a Pagoda in the mid 1980's.
There was a Pagoda which went from Mumbai to Delhi, it may have been MRH registered. In Delhi it was with a dealer Bagla. There was some financial difficulty, and the car came back to Mumbai, this time to a shipping co. They took her to United Motors, they also went gaga and bought a whole lot of parts. Then the family had some difficulties, the car was stored, deteriorated and ended up in a garage near French Bridge, glass cracked, dash ripped, generally very bad. Then she was picked up and landed with a restorer in Worli. There she lost her engine, another engine was put because the original was very bad. Plastic headlight glasses were put, etc. One day she went to the Sanghi Motors workshop in Parel and there they worked on her for almost 1 1/2 years. Today she is red, lives in Juhu but I fear that the engine is still not original.
This may have been originally the pottery car, but not sure.

Last edited by harit : 6th March 2009 at 12:23.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 21:43   #1090
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

OK Isn't this a red car the with a dubious engine I was told it had a Fiat engine!! even the bodywork is not accurate and some trim is missing!! This MRH went all over was in Cal as well I think there is a pic on a thread here.

Talking of french bridge I saw a silver car getting completed at french bridge in 1993/94 this car had later series model transplanted seat with headrests (I was told they were W123/124 seats) she also had alloy wheels of a later model W124 or 190E!! wonder where that one disappered unless both were the same only changed to red later!! Harit what say?

Last edited by canonball : 6th March 2009 at 21:45.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 13:16   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
OK Isn't this a red car the with a dubious engine I was told it had a Fiat engine!! even the bodywork is not accurate and some trim is missing!! This MRH went all over was in Cal as well I think there is a pic on a thread here.

Talking of french bridge I saw a silver car getting completed at french bridge in 1993/94 this car had later series model transplanted seat with headrests (I was told they were W123/124 seats) she also had alloy wheels of a later model W124 or 190E!! wonder where that one disappered unless both were the same only changed to red later!! Harit what say?
I am quite sure that both are the same car. The non original engine is still a Merc. engine. I am not aware about Cal, I think the route the car travelled was Mumbai - Delhi - back Mumbai - Indore for storage - back to Mumbai: French bridge, Worli, Sanghi Motors, Juhu.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:32   #1092
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,322
Thanked: 5,975 Times
Default

We are going quite off topic, but let me share pictures of the cars potentially in question. Correct me if Im wrong.

The older picture was from the forum itself, the rest I took at rallies.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-sl18.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-13.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-merc04.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-merc05.jpg  

Attached Images
 
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 18:36   #1093
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

yep thats her. I suppose 875 is the delhi one with retro job done. Both teh white ones look good.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 12:07   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
We are going quite off topic, but let me share pictures of the cars potentially in question. Correct me if Im wrong.

The older picture was from the forum itself, the rest I took at rallies.
The Pagoda story I posted refers to MRH 2300. Was probably with the Pottery owners, went to Delhi, was lying at French bridge, now in Juhu. See the Sanghi Motors sticker on the number plate
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 21:49   #1095
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Could it be Mr. MKK of Chitra Auto? Thanks to him, I had fabulous Mysore Pak once.

And regarding the Jawa, Tuffryder, she looks very nice (I think this colour, or a shade close to it, also used to be originally sold) but is there something the matter with the front fork alignment or is it the camera angle? Thought I'll take a chance once more, since Karl and Harit have already declared me bananas at the top of this page, I'd like to go twisting this time!
Twisting & Turning journeys, seems to be Prabhal's another hobby apart from Automobiles
@ Tuffryder . How much time will you take, to reach Coimbi from Chennai by SURFACE mode ? in a Volvo Bus to peep inside a VOLVO CAR ?? & to gulp a peiece of Mysore Pak if not bananas
Though, whole post seems out of topic !!!
Mysore has some thing to do with Jawas aint it !!!
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indian Apps that help you with the purchase / servicing of cars Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 28 27th November 2016 19:13
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500 shailu Motorbikes 66 21st March 2016 23:29
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
what's the difference between a grey market purchase and a B&W purchase wannabelean In-Car Entertainment 99 3rd June 2009 16:54
Is the Ford Ikon Owners Manual available to purchase? InternetUser Technical Stuff 11 15th January 2008 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks