Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 18:33   #1711
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,665
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
KLT-7667 by any chance ?
I hope not . (But in a way I hope it is too). As per Kerala MV Records, the registration of KLT 7667 has not been renewed :(

Incidentally met our mutual relative yesterday. Talked about you and about cars. I am hoping to get of KLT 1234 (Chevy Deluxe) soon.

Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 13:47   #1712
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,908
Thanked: 2,485 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

First time I have seen this, how was this managed logistically? They offered this in Europe, not just UK. How interesting.
This was in 1960. My guess is that someone hiring a car abroad would prefer a more up to date model just for the thrill.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-europe-ad.jpg  


Last edited by harit : 17th July 2014 at 13:48.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 13:51   #1713
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,445
Thanked: 7,093 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
First time I have seen this, how was this managed logistically? They offered this in Europe, not just UK. How interesting.
This was in 1960. My guess is that someone hiring a car abroad would prefer a more up to date model just for the thrill.

Cheers harit
A lovely find. I do remember a similar advertisement from Ford, though probably older, catering to Britishers stationed in India.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 04:26   #1714
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,786
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

An Allahabad car in good nick.

courtesy: http://somethingspecialbyadity.wordp...e-vermas-home/

Name:  Standard UPC854.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  101.9 KB
travancore is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 21:09   #1715
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,786
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

An interesting article from someone we know well....Karlos the Devil (a good one though)

http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/page475.html
travancore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:28   #1716
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,253
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

A few Herald pics. shared with me on facebook- the red one was sent by a young friend, Souryadeep Mukherjee. This car is in Delhi and IIRC, was put up for sale online a while back.

The blue 4-door (mk3) Herald belonged to our tbhpian "powertwin" in Coimbatore.

Name:  10409552_10204271686173035_133866491034712581_n.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  49.5 KB

Standard cars in India-10325539_605645569553618_669722897593084449_n.jpg

Name:  10584070_605645679553607_6670230377851841253_n.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  69.9 KB
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 23:47   #1717
BHPian
 
powertwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 444
Thanked: 146 Times
Smile Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A few Herald pics. shared with me on facebook- the red one was sent by a young friend, Souryadeep Mukherjee. This car is in Delhi and IIRC, was put up for sale online a while back.

The blue 4-door (mk3) Herald belonged to our tbhpian "powertwin" in Coimbatore.

Attachment 1269367

Attachment 1269369

Attachment 1269368
One small correction Stanher ......**the blue 4-door (mk3) Herald ,*ONCE *belonged to our tbhpian "powertwin" in Coimbatore.
Thanks !!
.
powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 00:04   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,253
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
One small correction Stanher ......**the blue 4-door (mk3) Herald ,*ONCE *belonged to our tbhpian "powertwin" in Coimbatore.
Thanks !!.
I thought that the use of the past tense word "belonged" itself was sufficient?

Moving on, here are a couple of pics. of a hotch potch job that were posted on a facebook group. Seems to have been taken in Calcutta. The car appears to be a Standard Gazel with a later Herald bonnet and a 'custom-made' station wagon job, all done back in the day though.

Name:  10547516_10204631660015284_6880514004881524023_n.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  54.5 KB

Standard cars in India-10355840_10204631660335292_9056661381649192869_n.jpg
Stanher is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 15:44   #1719
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,445
Thanked: 7,093 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Moving on, here are a couple of pics. of a hotch potch job that were posted on a facebook group. Seems to have been taken in Calcutta. The car appears to be a Standard Gazel with a later Herald bonnet and a 'custom-made' station wagon job, all done back in the day though.
I guess you mean earlier Herald bonnet?

The giveaway for the Gazel I suppose are the doors with Fiat handles. Though the WBG registration is probably older then Gazels.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 19:56   #1720
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane/Dubai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I guess you mean earlier Herald bonnet?

The giveaway for the Gazel I suppose are the doors with Fiat handles. Though the WBG registration is probably older then Gazels.
In my opinion, its a Mark III standard herald , with the modifications done .Mark III model production stopped somewhere in 1972, and the Gazel was introduced. So, this car is pre 1972.
I stand to correction though.
Ajit Kanbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 23:23   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,253
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I guess you mean earlier Herald bonnet?

The giveaway for the Gazel I suppose are the doors with Fiat handles. Though the WBG registration is probably older then Gazels.
No, this is not an early Herald bonnet, but a later one- that's what I meant!

And the door handles don't look like Fiat ones but Amby ones rather. To me atleast. And the door frames are of the early Gazel, which had the Herald door handles:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4048/4...cba_z.jpg?zz=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajit Kanbur View Post
In my opinion, its a Mark III standard herald , with the modifications done .Mark III model production stopped somewhere in 1972, and the Gazel was introduced. So, this car is pre 1972.
I stand to correction though.
The bonnet seems to be more of a mk2 than mk3 to me. But if the only giveaway is the WBG number then the car was indeed a Herald, but fitted with Gazel doors!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 19:20   #1722
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,786
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

A rather nice advertisement

courtesy: SwissClassics.com

Name:  Triumph Adv2.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  51.0 KB
travancore is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 21:54   #1723
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,253
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
A rather nice advertisement

courtesy: SwissClassics.com
Indeed nice! If only it had been Indian!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 09:44   #1724
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,643 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

The bonnet seems to be more of a mk2 than mk3 to me. But if the only giveaway is the WBG number then the car was indeed a Herald, but fitted with Gazel doors!
The pic is of a Herald and the modifications done on the doors are to reduce the common problems that were associated with Heralds:
(1) The glass channels are a local fabrication - lack of this was an issue with these cars as the glass tended to rattle as it had full support only at the front.
(2) Ambassador and Fiat locks rattled less and hence the tendency to fit these locks (with their handles)
(3) Note the absence of curvature on the roof which indicates that entire part after the windscreen has been modified.
(4) I don't think these are Gazel doors either - it looks like the lower part is of a herald with the quarter glass part locally fabricated.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 10:15   #1725
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,253
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The pic is of a Herald and the modifications done on the doors are to reduce the common problems that were associated with Heralds:

(4) I don't think these are Gazel doors either - it looks like the lower part is of a herald with the quarter glass part locally fabricated.
So we could conclude that it could've originally been a Standard Herald mk3 Companion (4-door estate/station wagon) later heavily modified:

Name:  companion02.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by Stanher : 10th August 2014 at 10:18.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Government wants to make Airbags & ABS standard on new cars SumitBahl The Indian Car Scene 139 14th June 2016 20:17
Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars anarchy_99 The Indian Car Scene 76 19th September 2013 14:54
Why aren't alloy wheels standard in Indian cars (when they are on bikes)? Proxima The Indian Car Scene 32 12th March 2010 10:14
You Tube Videos Of Standard Cars Darrell The International Automotive Scene 0 28th December 2009 23:15
Should cars priced > 8L have alloy wheels as a standard fitment? maniind The Indian Car Scene 26 8th October 2008 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks