Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 10:43   #1726
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
So we could conclude that it could've originally been a Standard Herald mk3 Companion (4-door estate/station wagon) later heavily modified:

Attachment 1272460
Yes, it could have been a mk3 companion or a mk3 itself.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 17:14   #1727
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?

Besides the main headlamps there is an orange parking lamp (seem to be the Lucas L691 design). To the side of the park lamp will be the side indicator - I think they had white lenses, not sure. Does anyone have any images of the originals, or a description from memory?

Standard cars in India-01.jpg

Standard cars in India-02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 00:47   #1728
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?

Besides the main headlamps there is an orange parking lamp (seem to be the Lucas L691 design). To the side of the park lamp will be the side indicator - I think they had white lenses, not sure. Does anyone have any images of the originals, or a description from memory?
Karl,

The park lamp is White Plastic thing shaped like a thimble - It had three small knob like things place at 120 Deg intervals around it.

This picture in TBHP seem to be having the light intact. See if you can search out the thread/image

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 638
Size:  100.1 KB

The metal plate was anodized aluminium piece, not black as in the picture you have put.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 00:48.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:32   #1729
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The park lamp is White Plastic thing shaped like a thimble - It had three small knob like things place at 120 Deg intervals around it.

This picture in TBHP seem to be having the light intact. See if you can search out the thread/image
Thanks - I too had seen this as the only probable original assembly as reference, though the picture is not clear enough. It was at an event in Ooty.

Name:  herald01.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  128.9 KB

Alas, now the car appears in events at Bangalore with the later park light/indictor combination assembly from the Mark 3.

Standard cars in India-standard03.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The metal plate was anodized aluminium piece, not black as in the picture you have put.
Thanks, I'll have this corrected.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:06   #1730
BHPian
 
Shwetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Allahabad
Posts: 86
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?

Besides the main headlamps there is an orange parking lamp (seem to be the Lucas L691 design). To the side of the park lamp will be the side indicator - I think they had white lenses, not sure. Does anyone have any images of the originals, or a description from memory?
Hi Karl!
These pictures of my car should put your confusion to rest.

Standard cars in India-img_5530.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_5531.jpg

The headlamps are followed by clear lens side lamps, then, amber lens turn indicators.
Shwetank is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:29   #1731
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi Karl!
These pictures of my car should put your confusion to rest.
Quite the contrary - I am much more confused now!

I have never seen clear lens parking lamps, I've only seen orange ones (on very original cars and older photos, so unlikely that they ALL were changed). Whenever possible can you share a more detailed image of the combination?

That aside, sourcing the indicators should be next to impossible for me. What alternative units do you think I can fix? I thought Fiat Delight ones would look close and period. Else the small Fiat Uno units, though they have no ring.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:59   #1732
BHPian
 
Shwetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Allahabad
Posts: 86
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Whenever possible can you share a more detailed image of the combination?
Name:  DSCN5211.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  15.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That aside, sourcing the indicators should be next to impossible for me. What alternative units do you think I can fix?
How about the side lamps from the Royal Enfield? Would they be too small?

Last edited by Shwetank : 21st August 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Syntax error
Shwetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:39   #1733
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
How about the side lamps from the Royal Enfield? Would they be too small?
I did think of them and waiting for a set to see how much smaller they are (I'm sure they will look too small and out of place). Plus the ring is offset for mounting screws. Lets see.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:27   #1734
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I did think of them and waiting for a set to see how much smaller they are (I'm sure they will look too small and out of place). Plus the ring is offset for mounting screws. Lets see.
Wrong shape as well - RE ones are 'conical' while the Herald ones were kind of cylindrical in shape.

Karl do you have the small rings intact with you ?

The ones in Shwetank's car look to be orange in colour - OEM was white/Clear

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 16:29.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:30   #1735
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Wrong shape as well - RE ones are 'conical' while the Herald ones were kind of cylindrical in shape.

Karl do you have the small rings intact with you ?

The ones in Shwetank's car look to be orange in colour - OEM was white/Clear

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
I guess one ring is in place (see the picture I had uploaded). Probably the correct one?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:39   #1736
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I guess one ring is in place (see the picture I had uploaded). Probably the correct one?
Yes it looks like the correct one (it should have one screw in it as well). May be we can try some jugad, if need be - like a glass bottle of the correct diametre (medicine bttles) you can get it cut (from bottom end) and glue/cement it to the ring - then you can have a functional cover.

May the "restore gurus" have a better idea (like creating mould from Shwetanks one and getting it made in fiber glass or pet).

My Two bits

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 17:04   #1737
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I guess one ring is in place (see the picture I had uploaded). Probably the correct one?
Perhaps, Standard (India) used this thimble shaped lens that was originally used by Triumph in the UK on early vitesse's to comply with the mandatory amber coloured indicator lens regulation (in the UK)?
The front parking/indicator assembly on these cars would have a clear bulb for parking, and another clear bulb covered with this amber thimble lens, and the entire assembly would be covered with the clear Lucas 584 lens and rim.

Later cars, I think, came with a clear bulb for parking and an amber bulb for the indicator i.e no thimble lens.

If it is in fact the same design, and if Standard brought in an initial set of UK spec lenses (presumably before indian production of the same lens commenced) then they would all have been amber, and perhaps some of these imported amber lenses made it to early production Standard Mk2's (like in Shwetank's pic)

Perhaps the indigenously manufactured versions of the same thimble design were clear, since there were no lens colour regulations in India?

All speculation, of course, and open to correction.

Name:  vitesseamberlens.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  11.0 KB
Name:  vitesseamberlens2.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  10.5 KB

Last edited by thebulletboy : 21st August 2014 at 17:07.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 17:33   #1738
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Perhaps, Standard (India) used this thimble shaped lens that was originally used by Triumph in the UK on early vitesse's to comply with the mandatory amber coloured indicator lens regulation (in the UK)?
The front parking/indicator assembly on these cars would have a clear bulb for parking, and another clear bulb covered with this amber thimble lens, and the entire assembly would be covered with the clear Lucas 584 lens and rim.

Perhaps the indigenously manufactured versions of the same thimble design were clear, since there were no lens colour regulations in India?

All speculation, of course, and open to correction.
In Indian version 1968 Model MK 2 the Parking Light Lense (Thimble) was Clear. Indicator Lense (Middle one) was Amber and HL was clear. As in MDN 7044 pic below whilst it was "blue"

Indian Mark 1 did not have any thimble light at all. The Rectangular Clear had a double filament bulb, one PL and other being the Flasher

India also started with indicator being amber long ago, in the rear side. If I am not mistaken it was manadatory. Incidentaly Standard Herald MK 2 was I think was the 1st Indian production to come out with Amber Front Indicator, to the best of my knowledge

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 17:38.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 22:16   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,319
Thanked: 1,529 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi Karl!
These pictures of my car should put your confusion to rest.
As usual, great to see pics. of your family cars!

- any more pics.?? Especially of the mk1 Herald behind?

Oh, and as for the indicator/sidelight lens colours, I am sure twas the other way round- parking lights were amber, the smaller ones on the extreme ends white.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st August 2014 at 22:19.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 23:12   #1740
BHPian
 
Shwetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Allahabad
Posts: 86
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
As usual, great to see pics. of your family cars!

- any more pics.?? Especially of the mk1 Herald behind?

Oh, and as for the indicator/sidelight lens colours, I am sure twas the other way round- parking lights were amber, the smaller ones on the extreme ends white.
Do BHPians ever miss anything automotive? I should have known the Mk1 wouldn't be missed. I'll try and locate more pictures of that. Personally, the original design appealed more to me than the later variants.

Regarding the lens colours, I'm sure we'll get to hear something from thebulletboy soon. He's really working at sorting this thing out.
Shwetank is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Government wants to make Airbags & ABS standard on new cars SumitBahl The Indian Car Scene 139 14th June 2016 20:17
Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars anarchy_99 The Indian Car Scene 76 19th September 2013 14:54
Why aren't alloy wheels standard in Indian cars (when they are on bikes)? Proxima The Indian Car Scene 32 12th March 2010 10:14
You Tube Videos Of Standard Cars Darrell The International Automotive Scene 0 28th December 2009 23:15
Should cars priced > 8L have alloy wheels as a standard fitment? maniind The Indian Car Scene 26 8th October 2008 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks