Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 4th March 2009, 15:03   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Stanher,

You want only lenses or full set of flasher indicator ?

they are available in eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
if you are not using ebay, have a look, some sellers mentioned postage price to India and let me know what you want, I will get it for YOU.....
Thanks girish!

I did buy a pair of LUCAS tail-lamps (complete) for my companion on ebay. I was told they have reached already.

PS: Sorry forgot to mention earlier- thanks to all those who'd congratulated me on my article and for their kind words!

Also just checked out the article on jai's pennant- cmae out real well, but for one point mentioned by the reporter:

"The dual colour scheme was optional, and many buyers preferred Pennants with a single colour."

I though it was the other way round? as I've seen most Pennants in dual colours only, most commonly white/blue or white/green.

Normal airmail does take longer than courier/DHL though.

Last edited by Stanher : 4th March 2009 at 15:09.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:10   #752
BHPian

Ohh yes, normal airmail does take longer than DHL, but also lot cheaper than DHL.....
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:23   #753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Also just checked out the article on jai's pennant- cmae out real well, but for one point mentioned by the reporter:

"The dual colour scheme was optional, and many buyers preferred Pennants with a single colour."

I though it was the other way round? as I've seen most Pennants in dual colours only, most commonly white/blue or white/green.
Well our generation has only seen a handful of cars, we can't surmise what things must have been like 50 years back now can we? Black was also an extremely popular colour.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 09:25   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well our generation has only seen a handful of cars, we can't surmise what things must have been like 50 years back now can we?
*knock-knock* Hellooooo.....that's why it helps to watch movies of yore, and develop friendships with people 3-4 decades our seniors, doesn't it??

Jokes apart, yes, Black was a popular colour back then on more or less all cars- surprisingly, I've even heard of cars in lighter colours repainted Black! because the latter was considered a sign of prestige for a car; quite the opposite of what the scenario became in later years.
Old 11th March 2009, 00:04   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd found this pic. with a slightly crude caricature of a mk1 Herald "convertible" in it, in a Tamil magazine "Ananda Vikatan" in my uncle's house at Madras over the weekend.
OT: Car in the background must be a '56 Plymouth/Dodge?

Standard cars in India-img_2644.jpg

It was a kind of Anniversary special edition, featuring news items/snippets/articles/jokes printed in previous editions of said magazine from various years before. This one dates from 19th May 1965, as indicated in the pic.

Also bought this VCD of a 60s Tamil movie, 'Selva Magal', which has this song featuring a '64 (mentioned in the song!) mk1 Herald modified soft-top- or rather 2! the first one, as can be seen, is a rather tired and tatty looking car, but with the same regn. no. (an AP Vijayawada one) as the 2nd one, albeit shabbily hand-painted!

Standard cars in India-img_2663.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2664.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2665.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2666.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2668.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2669.jpg
Standard cars in India-img_2673.jpg

It was a common practice to change cars in songs/movie scenes but maintaining the same number regardless!

But what surprises me is that the first car in the song seems rather badly maintained, even though it would've been hardly 1 year old when this movie was shot!

Last edited by Stanher : 11th March 2009 at 00:11.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:31   #756
BHPian

Quote:
I'd found this pic. with a slightly crude caricature of a mk1 Herald "convertible" in it, in a Tamil magazine "Ananda Vikatan" Car in the background must be a '56 Plymouth/Dodge?
I Also bought this VCD of a 60s Tamil movie, 'Selva Magal', which has this song featuring a '64 (mentioned in the song!) mk1 Herald modified soft-top- or rather 2! the first one, as can be seen, is a rather tired and tatty looking car, but with the same regn. no. (an AP Vijayawada one) as the 2nd one,
But what surprises me is that the first car in the song seems rather badly maintained, even though it would've been hardly 1 year old when this movie was shot!
The "car"toon has been done well imitating a Herald undoubtedly.
The joke says "how long should we hide before marriage".(In a convertible)

SelvaMagal song (Hey...............Paranthu sellum sittukuruvi) with the Herald is also a nice one.
The car from the photos posted looks well maintained with all parts in place and white walled tyres.
What shocked me was that the Herald seems to pull the jalopy (Ford?) with its Boot Handle.
The hero (Jai Shankar) jumps on the bonnet and boot of the car thro'out the song and the Herald takes it solemnly.Great.

Last edited by stampro : 12th March 2009 at 16:32.
stampro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 19:37   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
The "car"toon has been done well imitating a Herald undoubtedly.
The joke says "how long should we hide before marriage".(In a convertible)
Aah yes, I had my mother read it out for me (since I can only speak but can't read tamil).....but didn't feel it necessary to translate it here. 'glad that you did.

Quote:
SelvaMagal song (Hey...............Paranthu sellum sittukuruvi) with the Herald is also a nice one.
The car from the photos posted looks well maintained with all parts in place and white walled tyres.
Yes, that's the 2nd car- if you look closely the car in the 1st 3-4 pics. is a different one, but with the APK 8222 no. hand-painted on it. It's missing the left headlight ring/cowl and "Standard" bootlid badge (and I think bonnet one too), hubcaps are rusty and a dent on the rear bumper. The 2nd car is the well-maintained one. Although, incidentally, both cars are modified improperly into convertibles.

Quote:
What shocked me was that the Herald seems to pull the jalopy (Ford?) with its Boot Handle.
From the logo on the radiator top, its an Austin; a 30s model I guess.

Quote:
The hero (Jai Shankar) jumps on the bonnet and boot of the car thro'out the song and the Herald takes it solemnly.Great.
True. Although, I do feel sorry for Heralds that get abused this way in films......'makes me furious in fact! Hehe...

Last edited by Stanher : 12th March 2009 at 19:40.
Old 21st March 2009, 00:04   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all,

A bit of disappointing news, much as it pains me to convey- I've just parted with my '62 Herald mk1 (AAX 7035), which, as most of you'd know, has been under restoration since 2007.

Standard cars in India-img_1012.jpg

Although Heralds mean much to me, this car needs a lot of TLC to get her back in shape, and I felt that I wasn't doing her much justice, with the constraints I've been facing lately, plus I also need to fund my other major restoration projects, including my '62 Companion....besides another classic I might be getting (although not a project)! :(

The good news is that she's been bought by a fellow tbhpian, so is still very much "within the family"! And on the condition that the car is going to be restored exactly as how I'd wanted her, ie. nothing but the exact original spec. as to how '62 Heralds were made!

Plus, she will continue to be restored, in the same garage where I'd begun her restoration, with my full support and help in this regard.

I'm glad though, that she's passed on to good hands!

On a more cheerful note, here's a pic. that I'd uploaded online long ago in a yahoo groups album, taken from a set of photos of my aunt's (dad's younger sis) wedding in Hyderabad circa 1977, showing a Herald (most likely mk1) used as the Baraat car on hire. For sure, the car was red in colour!

Name:  janavas.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  46.7 KB

Note even the radio aerial has been decked in flowers! I did have another photo showing the same car taken from the other (left) side, that I'd also uploaded online....but can't find it now!
Curiously, when I'd asked my dad many times about this car, as he'd made most of the arrangements for the wedding, he didn't seem to remember having arranged for this car! He concluded that perhaps my uncle (his younger bro.) had arranged for it.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st March 2009 at 00:14.
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:30   #759
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam, bad news yaaru... StanHer without a StanHer ?? Anyways, wish her good luck and we all hope she gets done the same way you'd wanted her to be..
And here's hoping you'll get another Herald soon !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:57   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey Shyam, bad news yaaru... StanHer without a StanHer ?? Anyways, wish her good luck and we all hope she gets done the same way you'd wanted her to be..
And here's hoping you'll get another Herald soon !
Hey ravi, yeah I do feel the void without an actual StanHer...!

And thanks, I've been hoping the same too!

I'm sure I will too....only 'hope I'm better placed when I do get another one atleast!
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:49   #761
Senior - BHPian

Default Waiting for right time.

Seeing this beauti in our apartment from past two years, very good condition and many original parts(i am not expert but still can see it), nice interiors didnt clicked pics as dont wanted to disappoint the owner by peeping inside.She needs new caring owner and nice garage.Let me know if anyone wants to pick her up i'll speak to the owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dsc02290.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc02291.jpg  

Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:25   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Aah, a Gazel after a long time! And when I read your post (especially the word "beauty") I was expecting a Herald as usual, or atleast a 10!

Trivia time: This is the mk2 Gazel, made from 1974- 77/78, and was the last model among cars by Stampro Madras, before the Standard 2000 in '85.
We've had a similar car in our family.
This car differs from the early Gazels in that the bonnet was changed to the "fixed" type, opening only from the top (as on other cars) plus Fiat door handles and differnet bumpers, painted ones with overriders, as opposed to the full-chrome ones of the mk1 Gazels.
Structure-wise, I've noticed that the bootlids on most Gazels are quite misaligned/with an appalling fit....ours was one of the few exceptions though! I guess the hinges were basically quite weak- I'd once heard from a mechanic here his tale (circa mid '80s) of conning an Army major somewhere in Ahmednagar (MH) into selling his Gazel, at a throwaway price- minus the bootlid, which the Major had said that he'd lost while driving then because the hinges gave away!

This car, as you said, is very original but for the "hidden" fuel tank opening on the left rear wing and the side-indicators.
'hope it gets a good home (no, don't look at me! I ALWAYS prefer Heralds, thanks!)

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd March 2009 at 23:32.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:08   #763
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
:(

The good news is that she's been bought by a fellow tbhpian,

Plus, she will continue to be restored, in the same garage where I'd begun her restoration, with my full support and help in this regard.
Hmmm... I can guess the lucky buyer is from Hyd.

Okay, I heard the opening scene of "Uthiravindri Ulle vaa" movie has the Hero jumping into a white Herald. Just have a look at it.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:10   #764
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Seeing this beauti in our apartment from past two years, very good condition and many original parts
What price she is expecting?
Old 26th March 2009, 17:25   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... I can guess the lucky buyer is from Hyd.

Okay, I heard the opening scene of "Uthiravindri Ulle vaa" movie has the Hero jumping into a white Herald. Just have a look at it.
Nope, he is not a hyderabadi!

I'll leave it to him to announce himself.

Uthiravindri Ulle vaa- I've tried searching for it on youtube, but couldn't find the opening scene of the movie- only songs. One of the heroes drives a Lambretta in what looks like the ending song though.

Quote:
What price she is expecting?
Uh, how do you know if the owner is a "she"??!

Last edited by Stanher : 26th March 2009 at 17:28.