Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 17th December 2009, 10:09   #976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Do you have any old pics. of the car to share?
First of all, thanks a lot, Stanher, for englightening me about Standard Herald. Yes. I do have old photographs in the family albums. I will try to get these photographs scanned and upload them in due course.
Quote:
Also do you recall the regn.? would be useful in finding out it's present whereabouts.
Why not. MSS 1927. My father sold it to a person from Bangalore. In fact, when I started working in Bangalore in 1977, I spotted the car, not once but several times, even as late as 1980. Afterwards, no trace of it.
Quote:
As for the convertible version, while I've heard that it certainly was available as OE in India too, I'm dubious about it
I vaguely remember my father discussing about it at the time of purchase. So, I was under the impression that convertible version with flexible canvass top was an OE variant.
Quote:
your father's Herald must've looked like the Grey mk1 in the top pic.
I still remember that nowhere it was mentioned 'Mark 1' or mk 1 in the badge or logo. Just Standard/Herald on the bonnet/boot by the side of registration number slot. In fact, there was no registation number plate affixed at the rear. The number was painted at the designated slot provided on the boot. The car was similar to the one in this photograph in full grey:

Quote:
while I've heard a lot even from an ex-dealer about the 2-door Herald being a failure , I've noticed more of these around, especially the early (mk1) ones, than the 4-doors or the Gazels.
In fact, the 2-door version was a superb car, but could not sustain competition against the then-big brothers Fiat and Ambassador. But, generally, Indians prefer even compact and small cars chauffeur-driven and like to sit on the back seat. They did not like folding and unfolding the front seats during ingress and exgress. So, that could be the main reason for its flop show.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th December 2009 at 10:17.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:40   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
First of all, thanks a lot, Stanher, for englightening me about Standard Herald. Yes. I do have old photographs in the family albums. I will try to get these photographs scanned and upload them in due course.
My pleasure! Always happy to share any standard info. I have at hand. And yes, do get those photos scanned and uploaded ASAP !! They can also be contributed to the thread "Nostalgic pics. of family cars" also in this forum.

Quote:
MSS 1927. My father sold it to a person from Bangalore. In fact, when I started working in Bangalore in 1977, I spotted the car, not once but several times, even as late as 1980. Afterwards, no trace of it.
OT: It's interesting to note how the progression regn. nos. wasn't in serial order in our country. Someone I know here told me he had a '63-64 Fiat 1100 from Madras that was MSS 460 or 640 (3-digit only)
BTW, how did you recognise your car after it moved to bangalore, assuming it would've been re-registered there? Were you in touch with the new owner then?

Quote:
I still remember that nowhere it was mentioned 'Mark 1' or mk 1 in the badge or logo. Just Standard/Herald on the bonnet/boot by the side of registration number slot. In fact, there was no registation number plate affixed at the rear. The number was painted at the designated slot provided on the boot.
See, actually no company that made a particular successful model ever offically called/badged the first of the line-up as a "mark 1", unless they are much too confident of continuing the same model with periodic updates!
Even HM for that matter, never badged the first Amby they made as "mark1" but because the next updated model they made was badged "mark2", then the "mark3" and so on, we unofficially call the very first gen. Amby as "mark1" mainly for our own convenience. Similarly because there was a "mark2" and finally "mark3" (ie. the 4-door) model in Heralds, we can safely name the first version as "mark1"; it is more conveniently understood even if it wasn't badged so.
'hope I wasn't boring anyone with this lengthy explanation btw!

Quote:
In fact, the 2-door version was a superb car, but could not sustain competition against the then-big brothers Fiat and Ambassador. But, generally, Indians prefer even compact and small cars chauffeur-driven and like to sit on the back seat. They did not like folding and unfolding the front seats during ingress and exgress. So, that could be the main reason for its flop show.
That's true. Which is why the previous 10/Pennant/Companion models sold really well especially down south, even as taxis.
Nevertheless, it's remarkable that the 2-doors still sold in more than fair numbers even in that situation, atleast enough for Heralds to be still remembered. While the Gazel, standard motors' own brainchild that was designed to be far more suitable for Indian conditions ("better" rear axle, more spacious at the rear than the Herald, plus best part was we never felt rattling of rear doors, unlike the 4-door/mk3 Herald) still didn't live upto the mark.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:40   #978
BHPian

Hey Ravi,

Thats a beautiful Herald. In fact, heralds have been quite a rage I must say, and the two door heralds looks squarish and nice. I had a chance to be in one sometime ago, and it feels really nice.

Congrats. Good to know of other standard lovers around.

Cheers,
Avinash
ace_hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:04   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_hillman View Post
In fact, heralds have been quite a rage I must say, and the two door heralds looks squarish and nice. I had a chance to be in one sometime ago, and it feels really nice.
Uh, squarish??
I thought it was the 118NE which was more so (no offence to 118NE fans!)
Old 17th December 2009, 11:25   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Interesting. Does this small town collector also have a 47 Caddy? I see the tail light peeking out in one photo.
Yeah, what a watchfull eye . I will post her photos in appropriate thread.

Quote:
Hmm.......interesting how many Gazels are turning up down south lately!

Is this in Bellary (MYY regn. would indicate that, as per KPS whose '32 plymouth is also an MYY regn.)

This car isn't as complete as the green one photo'd by Arun/Karthik but it has both the chrome bumpers intact, and also (rarely seen) the original air-filter! I remember our Gazel too had exactly the same type of air-filter until around 1987 when the then mechanic found it faulty and replaced it with a Fiat one, which worked since (afterall, the Gazels shared the fiat carb!)
And note the front grille- the earliest gazels had this kind of grille, as opposed to the aluminium "perforated" design on subsequent models. This, IMHO looks more attractive.
Well yeah a lot of small small things were not original like Premier Padmani wheel Caps, the rear tail lamp etc etc. And now I Know whats so special adout the Gazel.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 15:33   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how did you recognise your car after it moved to bangalore, assuming it would've been re-registered there? Were you in touch with the new owner then?
It was neither re-registered nor re-painted, sporting the original registration number and colour. Hence, I could easily recognize by seeing it. I did not know the next owner.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 16:00   #982
Team-BHP Support

I was in Bombay on Sunday and we passed through a film shoot in progress. There were many battered Fiats and Ambys as part of the shoot, and also this curiousity - appears to be based on a Postwar Standard 8 Tourer. Regns were bogus, for the shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-01.jpg  

Standard cars in India-02.jpg  

Standard cars in India-03.jpg  

Standard cars in India-04.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th December 2009 at 16:17.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 16:20   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And now I Know whats so special adout the Gazel.
Really?! And what IS special about it? It hasn't occured even to me so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
It was neither re-registered nor re-painted, sporting the original registration number and colour. Hence, I could easily recognize by seeing it. I did not know the next owner.
Hmm...strange to know that it was not re-registered in Bangalore. Maybe the owner had an address in TN as well.

Quote:
I was in Bombay on Sunday and we passed through a film shoot in progress. this curiousity - appears to be based on a Flying Standard DHC. Regns were bogus, for the shoot.
Wow, that is one interesting little contraption. Maybe it's a modified flying 8. Did you try asking those guys anything about it's history? Roof appears to have been from a Hindusthan 14/Morris?

Last edited by Stanher : 17th December 2009 at 16:27.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:04   #984
Senior - BHPian

Default Noddy ! Noddy !!!

Quote:
I was in Bombay on Sunday and we passed through a film shoot in progress. There were many battered Fiats and Ambys as part of the shoot, and also this curiousity - appears to be based on a Postwar Standard 8 Tourer. Regns were bogus, for the shoot.
No offence to the original standard 8, but this one looks like Noddy's car !! Were they shooting for "Noddy - the movie".. ? Bring on Mr. Goon, and the rest of the lot
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 21:46   #985
BANNED

@Shyam: Today, Manish and me had been to a famous vintage cars restorer "Popular Automobiles". He said he recently restored a Herald and sent it to HYD. Do you know of any such car? I am asking you because you seem to know all Standard cars that are there in Bangalore.

The owner of the Garage had two different model Heralds'. Manish will post the pics on monday.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 22:55   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
@Shyam: Today, Manish and me had been to a famous vintage cars restorer "Popular Automobiles". He said he recently restored a Herald and sent it to HYD. Do you know of any such car? I am asking you because you seem to know all Standard cars that are there in Bangalore.

The owner of the Garage had two different model Heralds'. Manish will post the pics on monday.
Hi arun,
Yes, manish called me up this evening mainly to tell me this! How sweet of you guys to keep me informed of all Standards! You sure are maintaining good standards!
Was the Herald a bottle-green one with a white roof and stripe on the sides? MEV 6271?
I'd seen said car here a few times with a mechanic. It was (maybe still is?) for sale, had even been put up on clickindia ads some time ago, the price getting more and more atrocious everytime!

Needless to say, I'm keen to see the pics. of the other 2 Heralds!!

From what manish said, one of them was a white mk2 (the Gazel type bonnet)- was the number MYQ something? It might be my old friend's Herald from Wilson Garden.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:14   #987
BANNED

Hey Shyam, You seem to know even the car numbers properly and the localities in Bangalore!

I don't remember anything of the Heralds we saw as we hurriedly clicked the pics before the garage owner says no. The Garage is in the basement of an apartment so it was pretty dark there.

I need to improve my STANDARDs. Better info from next time.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 08:57   #988
Senior - BHPian

Arun & Shyam : I am posting the pictures. Seems that my internet tends to work in the mornings.

Other Pictures as required I am mailing them to your mail i.d.

Also Shyam your comment on the air filter in last but one photo.

Standard cars in India-dsc05559.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05560.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05561.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05562.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05563.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05564.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05565.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05566.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05567.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05568.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05569.jpg

Standard cars in India-dsc05570.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 19th December 2009 at 09:00.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:33   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Arun & Shyam : I am posting the pictures.
Also Shyam your comment on the air filter in last but one photo.
The green Herald I think was advertised for sale in Autocar some time back, being in Jaipur

Standard cars in India-mark133.jpg

The airfilter in question seems original.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 15:10   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The green Herald I think was advertised for sale in Autocar some time back, being in Jaipur

Attachment 247930

The airfilter in question seems original.
Oh wow didn't knew that, bye the way the car is there for the resto and stands along with stand many other vintage and classic cars. WILL post pics soon.