Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 17:40   #1351
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,572
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And that Standard is NOT a Pennant. Its a SUPER 10, an older model!
Isn't this an Ambassador-equivalent? I remember reading that Standard was forced to stop manufacturing its mid-size car due to the influence Birla/HM enjoyed in Govt. of India. The license-permit was at its peak that time (not that things are any better these days)!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 20:57   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Isn't this an Ambassador-equivalent? I remember reading that Standard was forced to stop manufacturing its mid-size car due to the influence Birla/HM enjoyed in Govt. of India. The license-permit was at its peak that time (not that things are any better these days)!
Nope, not this. That was the VANGUARD, a much bigger car and could be placed in the same segment as the Amby. The phase 3 was the last of them that were sold here in the late 50s (I think 1959) when the Amby too had just been launched. And the Vanguard was a rather popular car, especially in the South so was seen as a direct threat to the Amby. Hence Standard was asked to stop making them and concentrate only on their small car, (which would've been either this one, the Super 10 or its successor the Pennant) which was easily sidelined by the Amby in most parts of the country!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:05   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

A theater lobby card with a Herald shown. Probably a studio shot. Unfortunately some substance left stains on the picture. Wonder if this April Fool movie was a hit
And who are these stars? She looks very stern, he looks very appologetic.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 1st December 2011 at 13:06.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:07   #1354
BHPian
 
priyadarshan.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A theater lobby card with a Herald shown. Probably a studio shot. Unfortunately some substance left stains on the picture. Wonder if this April Fool movie was a hit
And who are these stars? She looks very stern, he looks very appologetic.

Cheers harit
Harit Sir,
I guess he is Vishwajeet and she is Saira Banu..
And they both were born with the type of face you described.
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:52   #1355
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Harit Sir,
I guess he is Vishwajeet and she is Saira Banu..
And they both were born with the type of face you described.
Hi! I just googled the movie, here are the details:
April Fool 1964 Hindi Movie Online Information:
Director : Subodh Mukherji
Genre : Comedy, Romance
Cast : Saira Banu, Biswajeet, Jayant, Sajjan, Nazima, Shivraj, Rajan Haksar, Chand Usmani, Ram Avtar, Ruby Mayer, M.B. Shetty, Vinod

Unfortunately no registration number of the Standard. Maybe someone watches the movie for that

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 17:41   #1356
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,382
Thanked: 6,244 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi! I just googled the movie, here are the details:
April Fool 1964 Hindi Movie Online Information:
Director : Subodh Mukherji
Genre : Comedy, Romance
Cast : Saira Banu, Biswajeet, Jayant, Sajjan, Nazima, Shivraj, Rajan Haksar, Chand Usmani, Ram Avtar, Ruby Mayer, M.B. Shetty, Vinod

Unfortunately no registration number of the Standard. Maybe someone watches the movie for that

Cheers harit
You can see more shots of the car at this link

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post2015531
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:59   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A theater lobby card with a Herald shown. Probably a studio shot. Unfortunately some substance left stains on the picture.
Nice pic.! Pity it got ruined by the 'substance'!
Incidentally, I just noticed that the Herald is an early (1961-62) model, going by the vents on the bonnet! I often saw this car in the song that it appears in but from the single colour had presumed that it was a later model ('63-64)!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 14:55   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Foreign car(car not in India), foreign movie, what the heck, still nice to notice this type of a car in a current Hollywood movie.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-tri.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 15:14   #1359
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Foreign car(car not in India), foreign movie, what the heck, still nice to notice this type of a car in a current Hollywood movie
This is a Triumph Vitesse, a lovely 6-cyl. car based on the Herald. 'wish it were sold here as well!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 21:34   #1360
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,804
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This is a Triumph Vitesse, a lovely 6-cyl. car based on the Herald. 'wish it were sold here as well!
I have a superb 1:43 scale model of the Triumph Vitesse - made in India, by Dinky Toys. Will look it up and share pictures sometime.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 23:06   #1361
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I have a superb 1:43 scale model of the Triumph Vitesse - made in India, by Dinky Toys. Will look it up and share pictures sometime.
Ravi, thats very interesting indeed! Incidentally, you may know of this desi brand NICKY TOYS, who made a model of the Standard Herald Mk2, although it was just a spitting image of the Triumph Vitesse scale model made by Dinky Toys (didnt know that was a Desi brand too!)



http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?name=Nicky%20Toys|The%20New%20Jersey% 20Collection&LotId=35544&Section=594&Start=20
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 23:12   #1362
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,804
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ravi, thats very interesting indeed! Incidentally, you may know of this desi brand NICKY TOYS, who made a model of the Standard Herald Mk2, although it was just a spitting image of the Triumph Vitesse scale model made by Dinky Toys (didnt know that was a Desi brand too!)
Spot on, it's the very car I have . Just rebadged.
You see, as we all know Dinky toys was (is) a British manufacturer. Now Dinky toys (India) was a licensed manufacturer of the parent company, and made the "Vitesse". Some years down the line they fell apart, and Nicky toys was formed.

Based on the original dies they must've purchased, they started making the "Vitesse" as the "Herald".. (To probably look more Indian !!)

In spite of being an avid collector, I had no clue the Herald model existed - a million thanks for the link !!
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:38   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Standard cars in India

You can google Dinky scale models and one site will tell you about the derivatives in India, South Africa etc. The company producing these in India was S. Kumar of Kolkata, unfortunately nothing to do with Kasli as we could have raided his godown. I wonder if this S. Kumar had anything to do with Suresh Kumar, the motor sports guy and of India Hobby Center?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 9th January 2012 at 11:39.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:43   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,776
Thanked: 1,820 Times
Default Herald

Saw this herald at kalina today. Nice to know another one saved but an NFS club member . The headlight rings were there and being fixed.

Cheers
Attached Images
   
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 12:35   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Saw this herald at kalina today. Nice to know another one saved but an NFS club member . The headlight rings were there and being fixed. Cheers
Nice looking car, they are really becoming rare. The bonnet has been modified though, other details like rear bumper others can comment.
What is NFS club?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 9th January 2012 at 12:36.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Government wants to make Airbags & ABS standard on new cars SumitBahl The Indian Car Scene 139 14th June 2016 20:17
Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars anarchy_99 The Indian Car Scene 76 19th September 2013 14:54
Why aren't alloy wheels standard in Indian cars (when they are on bikes)? Proxima The Indian Car Scene 32 12th March 2010 10:14
You Tube Videos Of Standard Cars Darrell The International Automotive Scene 0 28th December 2009 23:15
Should cars priced > 8L have alloy wheels as a standard fitment? maniind The Indian Car Scene 26 8th October 2008 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks