Team-BHP - Importing used engines/Spare Parts?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Importing used engines/Spare Parts? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/28670-importing-used-engines-spare-parts.html)

Folks,

Wanted to know what kind of import restrictions apply on importing spare parts? I'm on the lookout for a petrol engine for my 61 W111 mercedes and the wild thought came to me that I could import an engine from the US (where the costs of the same are cheaper). If such an engine arrived on a container, what kind of customs duty would apply? Bear in mind the engine I plan to acquire would be at least 45 years old, so not sure how that impacts the duty. Does the engine have to be in knocked down condition, or can it be complete, and what accompanying documents are needed?
On a related note, if i bought suspension parts and the like from some fo the online stores, would there be any duties to be paid?

Thanks for the info!
Boban
p.s.- alternatively if anyone knows of a 6 cyl m127 petrol engine to be had in India do let me know:-)

Boban,
I suggest you please first find out if you can import an old engine in the first place. I was told that used/2nd hand spare parts are not allowed into India, penalty for which would be 100%!
Of course in case of individual spares, you can always pass them off as 'NOS (New old stock)' but in case of an entire engine I'm not sure if that'd look very convincing.

First, Speak to a Clearing & Forwarding Agency.

Then how do the mivec's and the b16a's reach india?

Quote:

Originally Posted by noidaboy (Post 560565)
Then how do the mivec's and the b16a's reach india?

Good Question!! I always wanted to ask that!!!

Note from Mod - Threads Merged...

Can people in this field guide me to the right path!!.

Basically need to know the import duties on car spares (new and old).
Is second hand engine and spares allowed to be imported for your own use?
I know all the diesel engines available in market comes as scrap so not sure if its allowed to import just for your own use.

Is it better to get it through the licensed importer?.

Any help appreciated:) or any contact details of people who are in this business in New Delhi.

Jitu, Viper, Sideways
you guys have imported engines.
Could you please share your experiences and the legalities involved in the same.

Pal
you can check up with the customs website, i think it shud not be a problem, as far as it is of your own use or a spare for an already existing engine in india,it shud not be a enhancement or a mod for which u might have to pay the duty. What kind of spares do you intend to import?

Someone confirmed it saying its banned but you can still get it by paying penalties and duties on it. Have no idea though how much would that be.

I want for my personal use only and that includes complete interior, running gear, electronics and engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 560648)
Good Question!! I always wanted to ask that!!!

Just confirmed about it and there is a big NO for 2nd hand spares. Only way is either declareing as scrap or by paying penalties and custom on it. The guys who are importing the engines are doing it by paying all the penalties on it which provides them with legal papers for the engine.

Hi,
I had contacted the customs department in Kochi to clarify the present rules regarding import of cars under Transfer of Residence ( T.R) and regarding import of spares (used and new ), engines ......I am posting the reply I got from the customs dept here...

Customs Help Centre Query No.252

Import of vehicles to India is restricted and subject to conditions. In the case of individuals, a car owned by him abroad at least for one year prior to import only shall be allowed, on his return to India for permanent settlement after continuous two year stay abroad, provided the vehicle has right hand steering and controls.

1)There is no restriction on age / C.C etc., if above conditions are fulfilled

2). Depreciation shall be @ 16%, 12%, 10%, 8% and so on, maximum depreciation shall be 70%

3) Import of used items (including Engine) is restricted and hence, shall be imported only under specific licence. However, there is no restriction for import of new items. Total duty works out to 34.3%I hope this will throw some light on the issue..
Cheers !!:Cheering:

good information....!!!
so we can import engines....sounds good then !!!

Dude that is so cool ifits allowed to bring a car more then 3yrs old;) but I am still not convinced as I keep reading all over the net about the car not allowed to be more then 3yrs old.

i did import some beetle parts and it was directly Fedexed to me home and they did charge me 36.73 %Assesed value of the parts was Rs 15,464 and the Customs duty was Rs 5,680. plus other miscellaneous charges by Fedex. I paid the full amount to FedEx

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeve (Post 626595)
provided the vehicle has right hand steering and

:Frustrati ..***
this is the worst part, USDM cars are totally out of the picture, conversion from left to right is pretty expensive.