Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 10:44   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Guys, someone tell me more about Dharampur Heralds? What is a Dharampur 6?
The Maharaja of Dharampur had a soft corner for Heralds. Im not sure how many he had, but he had atleast 5. A couple of them were housed in his Pune mansion, and who knows, they might still be languishing there. This was told me by the local Herald authorised workshop. Stanher also was lucky to see one of them in Hyderabad, Dharampur 6. Maharajas usually had their numberplates in this fashion, in red. Examples are Kota no 12, Gondal No 2, Panchkote 1 etc, depending on which car it is in the collection. There is an ex Mysore Bentley in Pune with a keychain that simply says 66. That means is was his 66th car.

As with most Royal family cars, they were hardly used, in rotation. Most of the Dharampur Heralds had done very few miles, a few hundered perhaps. Pictured below is Dharampur 6, also Stanhers avtar. This car shows 5000kms on the odo, and it quite possible. Shyam can you provide more details and pics?

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 10:52   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

all the dharampur heralds in bangalore was bought by afzal sheriff.He took 1 to hyderabad.khodays bought 2 or 3 cars. rest were bought by vinay in bangalore, who resold it.but what will actually shock each one of you is that there is still a E type roadster, which has clocked a few hundred miles parked in the same garages where the heralds were.the present property is in dispute, so the house and garage are locked. i know someone who is already on the trail.could be the worlds only low mileage Jag.
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 11:20   #93
BHPian
 
S@~+#0$#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 700
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Thanks for the info Karl.

Wow!! The Dharamapur 6 looks iMMaculate.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 11:32   #94
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Thanks for the info Karl.

Wow!! The Dharamapur 6 looks iMMaculate.
Fantastic isnt it? Now lets continue in the Standard Cars in India thread, we are way off topic!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 20:16   #95
BHPian
 
magesh_kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

when is the classic rally to be held in bangalore in 2008. waiting to be cheers:
magesh_kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 18:39   #96
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK - travel often to Mumbai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
all the dharampur heralds in bangalore was bought by afzal sheriff.He took 1 to hyderabad.khodays bought 2 or 3 cars. rest were bought by vinay in bangalore, who resold it.but what will actually shock each one of you is that there is still a E type roadster, which has clocked a few hundred miles parked in the same garages where the heralds were.the present property is in dispute, so the house and garage are locked. i know someone who is already on the trail.could be the worlds only low mileage Jag.
I'd be really interested to know any more information about this E-Type. I think my grandfather bought this car in the UK on behalf of the Maharajah - he was his solicitor in Scotland - and I still have a copy of the original purchase receipt. Would be very interested in knowing any more about this car, if you have any further info. I've been trying to trace it for a while.

Thanks.

Richard.
richardmga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 11:04   #97
BHPian
 
Sportsmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 394
Thanked: 28 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
The ( Late ) Ravi Kumar & Dr. Ravi Praksh are different men. Ravi Kumar had a very enviable collection till he passed away ( 2001). In his stable, he had : Jag E Type ( gifted to his niece now in Bangalore ), XK 140, Merc Nueberging,Lanchester ( with Ravi Prakash now ), the famous 540 K, MG TD, Lancia Lambda,Lagonda and a host of other cars.
And then ofcourse, Dr. Ravi Prakash with the most active and varied collection of 36 cars in the country,all very nicely parked on his farm.To rattle a few names : Jag E Type roadster,XK 140, Mark II, Mark VII,Merc 170 V roadster,320 stuttgart,Nueberg,Lanchaster, Delage,Austin Healey,Ford T model,Sunbeam Talbot,1920's Sunbeam, 1920's Fiat, Buick Roadmaster,Sunbeam 1936,Ford Jeep,Mustang... the list goes on & on.
Hai I had the previlage of meeting Dr.Ravi Prakash and the great gang along with his collection, did even drive his Jaguar during the 2002 Dusheera vintage rally in Mysore.
Could you let me have the contact of Dr. as I am doing some ground work on a 20K vintage rally soon in Bangalore. I am sure I will need his assitance to get this going.
Cheers...

Last edited by Sportsmind : 18th October 2009 at 11:06.
Sportsmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 11:19   #98
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Hai I had the previlage of meeting Dr.Ravi Prakash and the great gang along with his collection, did even drive his Jaguar during the 2002 Dusheera vintage rally in Mysore.
Could you let me have the contact of Dr. as I am doing some ground work on a 20K vintage rally soon in Bangalore. I am sure I will need his assitance to get this going.
Cheers...
In case you are not aware of his farm's address then here it is.. Kala Farm, near best club, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore. In case you get his contact number, then please give it to me. Need to speak to him regarding Fiat 1100 Club.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:22   #99
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Can anybody give some details of KVCCC rally to be held on 20th Dec 2009..
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:38   #100
BHPian
 
Gooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 347
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

@ Sportsmind, Arun - I met Dr. Ravi Prakash a couple of months back for some research work. I have his number. If you have not already managed the number, PM me.

Also it would be great if you (or anybody else) can share the details of the upcoming rally.

Last edited by Gooney : 17th December 2009 at 10:40.
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:32   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Maharaja of Dharampur had a soft corner for Heralds. Im not sure how many he had, but he had atleast 5. A couple of them were housed in his Pune mansion, and who knows, they might still be languishing there. This was told me by the local Herald authorised workshop. Stanher also was lucky to see one of them in Hyderabad, Dharampur 6. Maharajas usually had their numberplates in this fashion, in red. Examples are Kota no 12, Gondal No 2, Panchkote 1 etc, depending on which car it is in the collection. There is an ex Mysore Bentley in Pune with a keychain that simply says 66. That means is was his 66th car.

As with most Royal family cars, they were hardly used, in rotation. Most of the Dharampur Heralds had done very few miles, a few hundered perhaps. Pictured below is Dharampur 6, also Stanhers avtar. This car shows 5000kms on the odo, and it quite possible. Shyam can you provide more details and pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
all the dharampur heralds in bangalore was bought by afzal sheriff.He took 1 to hyderabad.khodays bought 2 or 3 cars. rest were bought by vinay in bangalore, who resold it.but what will actually shock each one of you is that there is still a E type roadster, which has clocked a few hundred miles parked in the same garages where the heralds were.the present property is in dispute, so the house and garage are locked. i know someone who is already on the trail.could be the worlds only low mileage Jag.

Well I am replying to a very OLD post, but came to know of this discussion now. I have seen the Herald in Khoday's collection and it is so immaculate all with original factory things. I will take the permition and post pictures of her.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 16:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well I am replying to a very OLD post, but came to know of this discussion now. I have seen the Herald in Khoday's collection and it is so immaculate all with original factory things. I will take the permition and post pictures of her.
'glad to hear about those Heralds- they too are ex-Dharampur cars btw.

I was told the Khodays don't permit any photos to be taken of their cars though. Unless you're like, very close to them/in their inner circle.
But if you can manage that, nothing like it! Good luck!

Last edited by Stanher : 17th December 2009 at 16:22.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 09:25   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'glad to hear about those Heralds- they too are ex-Dharampur cars btw.

I was told the Khodays don't permit any photos to be taken of their cars though. Unless you're like, very close to them/in their inner circle.
But if you can manage that, nothing like it! Good luck!

Shyam,

Very true, bye the way I managed one photo of the metallic green mustang fastback without their knowledge. Imperial on the form told me he can get permission to shoot.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:59   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam,

Very true, bye the way I managed one photo of the metallic green mustang fastback without their knowledge. Imperial on the form told me he can get permission to shoot.
Great!! Then whaddaya waitin' for??!!!!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:20   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great!! Then whaddaya waitin' for??!!!!
Sure dude next weekend.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India vintageman Vintage Cars & Classics in India 478 2nd November 2017 19:53
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014 KPS Vintage Cars & Classics in India 31 18th August 2014 08:05
Three Vintage & Classic Car Rallies @ Bangalore, all on the same day! srinand Vintage Cars & Classics in India 28 10th March 2014 13:33
Period Costume Pictures in Vintage and Classic Automobile Rallies anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 15 10th September 2012 22:58
Karnataka Vintage and Classic Car Club- Dec 09 Meet/Rally arun1100 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 59 26th July 2010 15:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks