Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 09:49   #16
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
There's this other guy who has a Herald and a Chevy V6. If and when he puts them together, it ought to be fun.
so any idea when this guy is going to put it together.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 17:56   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012

I wanted to know if someone can point me to a place in Pune where I can convert my old Zen into something that looks like a vintage car -perhaps like an old Beetle.
This means, I am looking for transplanting the engine from my car into some other car.

Sorry if this appears off-topic. It is my best shot at owning a vintage like car at an affordable price.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 3rd January 2013 at 11:26. Reason: Moving to right thread.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 13:01   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

I wanted to know if someone can point me to a place in Pune where I can convert my old Zen into something that looks like a vintage car -perhaps like an old Beetle.
This means, I am looking for transplanting the engine from my car into some other car.

Sorry if this appears off-topic. It is my best shot at owning a vintage like car at an affordable price.
Hi, instead of converting a modern car into something it can never be why not start with a daily classic like a Fiat, its easy to maintain and gives plenty of opportunity to tune for performance. Infact I prefer to drive my 57 Fiat more than any other classic in my garage even my new 500 so keep your eyes out for good cars in need of restoration. Or stay in touch with thread Vintage and classics for sale on this forum. I am sure something will come up in your budget very soon. regards mole

Last edited by the mole : 29th December 2012 at 13:24.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:09   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi, instead of converting a modern car into something it can never be why not start with a daily classic like a Fiat, its easy to maintain and gives plenty of opportunity to tune for performance. Infact I prefer to drive my 57 Fiat more than any other classic in my garage even my new 500 so keep your eyes out for good cars in need of restoration. Or stay in touch with thread Vintage and classics for sale on this forum. I am sure something will come up in your budget very soon. regards mole
Hi there!
This one is for the "Home Minister". She does not want a car with sharp edges/ box like design such as the Fiat that you are referring to.
Secondly, performance is not really the important thing here. Even if it drives like a Zen, it is fair enough. I can get the performance part sorted out later on.
So, perhaps the requirement is not exactly they way you have perceived I guess? My apologies for not being able to clarify this in the first post itself.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:01   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Pune, 23rd Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hi there!
This one is for the "Home Minister". She does not want a car with sharp edges/ box like design such as the Fiat that you are referring to.
Secondly, performance is not really the important thing here. Even if it drives like a Zen, it is fair enough. I can get the performance part sorted out later on.
Why not find a Morris Minor body and put in a gypsy or zen mechanicals. There was one in Bombay done in a similar manner.

DC had created the classic SLR from a Mercedes W124 300 for a client from Bombay. Sorry i dont have pictures of it.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:27   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: A modified vintage car?

I would just buy a brand new Fiat 500 or VW beetle or the new mini and get the retro look and also performance along with modern creature comforts. As far as my knowledge goes RTO does not pass cars custom made cars on modern chassis. I know of many cars where the owners got psyched driving around such cars and finally decided to abandon them. A pity It really dealt a big blow to the kit car industry.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:54   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: A modified vintage car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Why not find a Morris Minor body and put in a gypsy or zen mechanicals. There was one in Bombay done in a similar manner.
Would love to see something like that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I would just buy a brand new Fiat 500 or VW beetle or the new mini and get the retro look and also performance along with modern creature comforts.
I would love that too. I have a maximum budget of Rs. 200,000 to please the missus. Hope you get the point now. (smiley here)

Quote:
As far as my knowledge goes RTO does not pass cars custom made cars on modern chassis. I know of many cars where the owners got psyched driving around such cars and finally decided to abandon them. A pity It really dealt a big blow to the kit car industry.
RTO aspect is in my mind. I am trying to find out what is allowed and what is not. If allowed, what is the procedure.
First hand experiences on this part are most welcome.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 07:01   #23
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,189
Thanked: 8,576 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

A pic of a 1962 Austin Sports Custom from Kolkata.
Attached Thumbnails
A modified vintage car?-img20130310wa005.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 10:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A pic of a 1962 Austin Sports Custom from Kolkata.
What is Austin about this? The antiroll bars in the shape of two A's?
This looks like a custom job. Some details would be welcome.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 17:25   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 94
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A pic of a 1962 Austin Sports Custom from Kolkata.
Is this the Famous Qmari(Not sure of the spelling) Special Car of Sholavaram Race Tracks
jagadeesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 21:45   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,189
Thanked: 8,576 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
What is Austin about this? The antiroll bars in the shape of two A's?
This looks like a custom job. Some details would be welcome.

Cheers harit
Pardon my ignorance but I have very limited knowledge about vintage cars. Not sure if its an Austin or just a custom mod job.

Here's a link which mentions this car is a '62 Austin:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2659584 (Tolly Car Show 2012)
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 23:57   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
What is Austin about this? The antiroll bars in the shape of two A's?
This looks like a custom job. Some details would be welcome.

Cheers harit
This is a fully customized car with an Austin 7 grille and Austin A35 motor. Sounds louder than a fighter jet.

Owned by a friend of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
Is this the Famous Qmari(Not sure of the spelling) Special Car of Sholavaram Race Tracks
Pardon for two back to back posts.

This is not the Qmarri. You can find the pictures of the Qmarri at the 2013 Statesman Vintage rally of Kolkata thread.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd March 2013 at 09:28. Reason: Consecutive posts
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 00:33   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post

Pardon for two back to back posts.

This is not the Qmarri. You can find the pictures of the Qmarri at the 2013 Statesman Vintage rally of Kolkata thread.
If this car was built in Calcutta, it a a good job of a custom body. The sheet metal or fiber glass appears smooth enough. Is it street legal in India on a / c of missing fenders. The wheels look expensive. The race car look is impressive. What about the performance with a A 35 motor ? From looks alone, it seems a fun car . As pointed out , the A roll bar do effect the over-all impression .
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:28   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A pic of a 1962 Austin Sports Custom from Kolkata.
This car has been publicized and discussed as a Rytecraft. I have my doubts. Maybe Amitv8 is right.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post697558 (Vintage Car Rally in Kolkata Pics & Reports - 2008)

http://www.hindustantimes.com/photos...e4-793180.aspx
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: A modified vintage car?

This would be a fun car created for the owner. The grill is definitely not of an Austin 7, those grills were much smaller. He may have used the outline. Wonder what engine is inside.
Original to the car may be the bumpers, chassis we cannot see.
Hindustan Times has mixed up, the Rytecraft is that red car posted alongside in that t-bhp link.
Q-Marie is a creation for racing, and now a historic vehicle.

Its worth mentioning that the government with inflexible rules has completely killed the customising hobby, so hardly a noteworthy industry has developed. Time for a review, with rules framed by those with knowledge and experience.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
modified vintage jeep rallystar Vintage Cars & Classics in India 10 29th December 2006 18:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks