Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 18th October 2007, 23:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Is this a chop-job, Karl. Didn't know Hillman to have made Mark III convertibles.
no its not. check out this info...
Hillman Minx Phase 5 - Phil Seed's Virtual Car museum
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 08:33   #32
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
ram sorry to correct you but you have mentioned details of the phase 3 but given the picture of the phase 4. the phase 4 is a 1285cc sidevalve engine produced from 1949 to 1951. it did have a convertible in its model lineup.

the phase 3 also had a 4 seater convertible in their model line up
You're right speedy. I was wrong.

And Phase III onwards, the convertible and estate variants joined the sedan.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RR0016%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]The Hillman Minx Phase IV came out in the middle of 1949.
It had a 37.5 bhp 1,265 cc engine and was made for two years, till middle of 1951.
The Hillman Minx Phase V came out in the middle of 1951 and was made till end of 1952.

Starting 1953, there was the Hillman Minx Phase VI, which was discontinued in barely six months.

From mid 1953 to mid 1954 was made the Hillman Minx Phase VII.
In mid-1954 the 37.5 bhp 1,265 engine was replaced by a 43 bhp 1,390 cc engine for the Phase VIII.

This was made from mid 1954 to mid 1955, where the sedan, convertible and estate models were joined by the fourth variant called the Husky.

The last "Phase" was called Phase VIIIA and those were started to be made in mid 1955.
By mid 1956, the Phase VIIIA sedans and convertibles were discontinued.
the Phase VIIIA estate was discontinued in mid 1957 and the Phase VIIIA Husky was discontinued in mid 1958.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 20:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
she is a beuty when restored like the black one. i would not know the exact count but i would believe there should be quite a few in india. if i believe right hillman was sold in india through dealers.
The Hillman Minx in its various models (Phase I, II and so on) were very popular cars in India till the early 1950's. These were made by the Rootes Group owned by the Rootes Bros, UK. Sunbeam and Humber were the other upmarket brands from this group. Till the liberal import era (1955) thousands of Hillmans were imported as CKD kits.Many may be surviving till this day in India.The Rootes group perished later and was a victim of takeover in the UK as many of us know.Hillmans were never made in India and when the import curbs came into effect, the Hillmans stopped coming totally.
But these cars look great and one feels nostalgic seeing these.
V-16- you're right these were very popular as Bombay taxis till the late 1960's and even early 1970's. In various old films Hillman taxis are seen. "Chalti ka Naam Gaadi" shows many such taxis on Bombay roads during the title song filming. One Hillman Minx is seen in the garage owned by the Ganguly brothers permanently with other cars.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 12:06   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

While this car belongs in the post 1950 section seeing a dedicated thread to this marque thought I'd post a picture of a very original car I've had for many years now. Its a 1954 Hillman Minx Mark VII. I am the second owner

Name:  Hillman.jpg
Views: 13962
Size:  72.4 KB
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 01:34   #35
BANNED

Guys, I need help. This car NEEDS to be restored. The owner has asked me for an approximate Cost and time needed for the Resto. Also, if the car is beyond resto, or the car is too difficult to do, i want to buy it from him and slowly do it. Guys, Comments Please.

Note from Support: Reposted pictures removed. Check Post #1 for remaining pictures.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th August 2008 at 19:40. Reason: See note.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 01:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Guys, I need help. This car NEEDS to be restored. The owner has asked me for an approximate Cost and time needed for the Resto. Also, if the car is beyond resto, or the car is too difficult to do, i want to buy it from him and slowly do it. Guys, Comments Please.
finally Cyrus the owner has decided to do something with the car. you have Jehangirs number dont you. call him and ask him to have a look at it. the car does not look like it is beyond restoration or too difficult to do.
you had your eye on this car from a long time now dikra .
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 02:01   #37
BANNED

Quote:
finally Cyrus the owner has decided to do something with the car. you have Jehangirs number dont you. call him and ask him to have a look at it. the car does not look like it is beyond restoration or too difficult to do.
you had your eye on this car from a long time now dikra .
Of course i have!!

Also, i have a few queries.
  • The engine is very similar to a Lando Sidewalve engine. Is it the same?
  • Can a Normal Amby Engine be fitted into this?
  • Also, can we put Amby parts in General in this.
  • Are trims available? If yes, Where.
This is one of those cars i have been eyeing since a lonnng time. And i am trying to persuade the guy into selling it. How much do Fully Restored ones go for??
Old 19th August 2008, 02:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course i have!!

Also, i have a few queries.
  • The engine is very similar to a Lando Sidewalve engine. Is it the same?
  • Can a Normal Amby Engine be fitted into this?
  • Also, can we put Amby parts in General in this.
  • Are trims available? If yes, Where.
This is one of those cars i have been eyeing since a lonnng time. And i am trying to persuade the guy into selling it. How much do Fully Restored ones go for??
i dont think the engine would be the same as a Lando sidewalve engine but i could be wrong. i would let the experts (Karl, Stanher) handle your first three questions.
as far as the trim being available, you would have to look for them at chor bazaar or then fabricate them. also if you find another one in junk then you might get your hands on something.
the priceing of the car depends on the owner. iwould say seeing the present situation 1.25 to 6lacs.
Old 19th August 2008, 02:26   #39
BANNED

Quote:
i dont think the engine would be the same as a Lando sidewalve engine but i could be wrong. i would let the experts (Karl, Stanher) handle your first three questions.
as far as the trim being available, you would have to look for them at chor bazaar or then fabricate them. also if you find another one in junk then you might get your hands on something.
the priceing of the car depends on the owner. iwould say seeing the present situation 1.25 to 6lacs.
1.25-6 Laks for a Restored Specimen or for the car in question???

I sure hope you are talking about a completely restored car and not This Beautiful Pile of Junk. By the way, the brakes are shot!! They barely work.
Old 19th August 2008, 02:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.25-6 Laks for a Restored Specimen or for the car in question???

I sure hope you are talking about a completely restored car and not This Beautiful Pile of Junk. By the way, the brakes are shot!! They barely work.
you asked me how much a fully restored car would cost Cyrus. this one i would say 50 to 75 thousand. hope you dont have to change the entire break assembly. that would be hard to get but with alterations can be done.
Old 19th August 2008, 07:33   #41
BHPian

There is a hillman minx ,1951 or 52,one owner in good condition for sale in Chennai.
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 16:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

There was a lovely 53 Minx all black in superb condition. Asking 1.3 but should settle for around 90ish. Dont know if its still available. This was a ccouple o months ago.
Cyrus looking at the car (ive seen it before too) it needs a lot of work. The Tin and painting job could set you back by around 75K or so. Then mechanicals. I should think around 1.5-1.75 for a full job including seats etc. Now if any trim or so is missing, that would be extra.
Parts are available in Chor Bazar and maybe some shops in opera house.
Had a Mint 1961 direct impost which also won two rally prizes around 10-12 years ago. My friend bugged me to sell it to him and a year later I find hes sold it as scrap to the junkyard. I wanted to kill the idiot.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:35   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogibhai - how many idiots will you kill? Saw the blue Premier President in CST road? Apneko nahin dega, scrapwale ko dega. Idhar Nasik mein bhi yahi haal hai.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:40   #44
BHPian

Nice Hillman car Cyrus43, wish you acquire it and restore it to pristine condition.

As Hillmans were very famous in its times, I hope our friends can contribute more interesting articles of Hillman cars from 1920's to 1960's. Please write about the models came to India between 1925-1948.

Among models came to India, my uncle used to have Hillman convertible in 70's, I am note sure about year, seems the model was pre-1930's, but never seen again that model anywhere.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus if you are interested in the car then ill personally help you restore it to mint condition. Of course I will be assisting Behrambhai
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote