Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd July 2009, 20:47   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Action for a youthful Minx! With the cameras clicking!
Name:  DSC03610.JPG
Views: 1685
Size:  128.4 KB
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Amol, late 50s Minx would be the later body style - the Audax series as they were called. Two-tone paint jobs were also more common in those. However, if what you saw was of this profile, then it would be between 1953-55, Minx MkVI or VII, which had the larger grille, although not really Amby-like. Rootes possibly felt BMC designs were lowly, Loewy designs were great though.
This is what it was a 57 Minx Phase I like the one in this Brochure and as you mentioned designed by the Loewy Design studio
Attached Images

the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:06   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is what it was a 57 Minx Phase I like the one in this Brochure and as you mentioned designed by the Loewy Design studio
While we're on the topic of the Lowey Deisgn, here are some pics. of a junking early 60s Super Minx that I had seen at a garage in Secunderabad back in 2006, later disappeared:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/339239-post46.html

(Note: Excuse the language there, as you can make out, I was still a newbie in the forum then so was yet to begin setting store by posting rules! )

I like this car's design better than the normal Minx of the same era.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:26   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Is this not the same series of car as the Sunbeam Rapiers?
I know of a similar Hillman convertible in Bangalore which came from Bombay, MRA registered. It must still be there, they also have a Jag Mk II.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 00:11   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hmm.....some people are rather uh, different!

BTW, interesting to note that there are quite some variations in the same model Minx. The beige/"biscuit coloured" one in Karl's photos above looks quite clean, like a European car of it's time- no side trims or the trim plates on the rear door corners, no HILLMAN badge on bonnet lip, 'Minx' badges on front doors, plus no bumper overriders (guards). And I would believe all these features are original, this being a very original car.
The choclate brown one again in Karl's photos has bumperguards plus (appears to have) bonnet lip badge but no side-trim or rear door trims and has 'Minx' door badges.

The black car has all the above features of the chocolate one, but no 'Minx' badges but instead side-trims.
The beige colour Hillman is a 1949-50 model - it has smaller headlamps. The chocolate colour Hillman is a 1951 model - also bigger headlamps. The black colour Hillman is a 1952 model - please note extra verticle piece on the grille and also side beading and steel decorative plate over bottom rear doors. There was no minx. It came with an ampere meter - see the dashboard. In the earlier model that square slot had some emblem. Horn button was also different - 3 tear drops which continued for the next two years or so. The 1952 came with two stoppers for the boot unlike the earlier ones which had only one - which would result in the sagging on one side. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 22:54   #111

Default Help with 51 Minx

hi everyone, i am new to the forms, and would like to get some help, but here is alittle about my situation

i was born and raised in bangalore but have not moved to Canada, my grandfather and our family have owned this 51 hillman minx for the last 30+ years. Last year my grandfather pasted away and the vehicle has been left to me, i have always loved this car for as long as i can remember. The car is all orginal nothing has been changed, but my situation is that i need to have to exported to canada where i am currently living.

I am trying to export my 51 hillman minx from bangalore and bring it over to toronto, canada.

First - i would like to know what i can do to have it exported.

Second - where can i go in bangalore to get the car fixed/restored, such as paint, rechroming certain parts, getting the engine running and so on.

Any help would be greatly apprepriated.
Mario.
waterdude24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:41   #112
Team-BHP Support

The highpoint of our regular visits to Mahabaleshwar as a kids, was spotting antiquated jalopies, very common at the time (even as recently as the mid ninties)

Hillman Minx-scan0004.jpg

This Hillman would lie on the way from Panchgani to Mahabaleshwar. I remember a watchman telling me it had no engine. Wonder if she survived. Unlikely though.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:14   #113
BHPian

Default Neat restoration, congratulations!

Hi, looks like a very neat job of restoration. I stay in Bangalore and own a Hillman Minx 1951 in very original condition, but needed some restoration. Have already spent a year on it and a lot of money too, but am not satisfied. The engine has been done up well. I imported a lot of parts.. but I need a couple of body parts, like the grill, front indicator lenses. Although my car still has the original grill, I had given it for a fresh chrome plating job and that fellow has messed it up a little - some of the horizontal strips are a bit bent and such. He said it happened while polishing because they were thin.. Anyways, a couple of things also need attention. Any suggestion where I can get them attended to reliably in Bangalore (in and around)? Also, since you have mentioned you could get a donor car, would you be able to spare me the grill and anything else that you can for a price?

Thanks in advance!
Avinash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette View Post
Attached are pictures of the Hillman before and after restoration. The car belonged to a garage owner in Rae Bareilly who had made a very poor attempt at replacing the corroded sections of the body, possibly to get a better price for the car. However, in doing so he had ruined the body alignment which in a convertible is all the more difficult to get right. A lot of parts were missing as well and we were lucky to have another somewhat similar car around whose parts we could use as formers and replicate parts for our own car.
ace_hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 13:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
she is a beuty when restored like the black one. i would not know the exact count but i would believe there should be quite a few in india. if i believe right hillman was sold in india through dealers.
Well in Mumbai Dadajee Dhackjee were the authorised dealers for Hillman cars in the years mid 1940 and 1950, my freind family brought a Hillman Minx in 1954 from them it was with them till 2004 then they sold it to a scrap guy for a PITTANCE of very few thousand a very sad end for a car they had for a long period of 55 years,they used to travel to Titwala almost twice a month and sometimes to Mahableshwar.They brought a Maruti Omini in replacement of Minx.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 18:51   #115
BHPian

Wink Hillman Parts

any parts for Hillman minx in any quantity,we wish to know if available.
piyush shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:43   #116
BHPian

Thanks Veerji for the information. Any idea whether these Dhackjee folks are still around? I am looking for almost any spare part for my Hillman Minx. Specifically, a grill, water pump, original 16" rims (I have the original 15" Hillman rims made for local UK markets), pair of Lucas England headlamp lenses (the ones I have on the car are the ones which came with the car and are a bit rusted), 5.50x15" or 5x16" tires (provided I find the 16" rims), any spares for the side indicator arms on the pillar between the doors, a radiator.

Will be grateful for any help in laying my hands on these spares..

Thanks in advance!
Avinash

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Well in Mumbai Dadajee Dhackjee were the authorised dealers for Hillman cars in the years mid 1940 and 1950, my freind family brought a Hillman Minx in 1954 from them it was with them till 2004 then they sold it to a scrap guy for a PITTANCE of very few thousand a very sad end for a car they had for a long period of 55 years,they used to travel to Titwala almost twice a month and sometimes to Mahableshwar.They brought a Maruti Omini in replacement of Minx.
ace_hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 21:17   #117

Default Grill

I have a 1948 Minx Mark 2 as the one shown in blue color with a boy standing beside. I am restoring the car currently and I am in bad need of the grill. I was thinking if there are some cars which have been abandoned or can be used as spare.
sudeepdua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 18:12   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached are 2 pics of a Minx Convertible, so far three are known to me and all three are near and around Mumbai. All three came from out. This is the later model, the others are earlier cars. The owner should give some history when he sees this post.

Dadajee Dhackjee as are no longer into automobile sales and service, the premisis were leased out and sold off. Hillman parts are not easy to come by, chorbazar, donor car etc. will be a source.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2009, 20:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

There were around two of these in hyderabad too !!!
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 23:32   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There were around two of these in hyderabad too !!!
This is from there! Very good!
Tipu, please tell the story!!!!