Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:45   #616
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TN58/TN41/TN37
Posts: 184
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Spotted this FARGO bus owned by Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai in their college premises. This was running till last year. Now it is parked in their garage. Can someone help me in identifying the specifications for this and the year of make. I spotted similar buses with TVS in Madurai. I'll try to get them.

Name:  DSC_0289.jpg
Views: 12560
Size:  70.8 KB

Moderators: Hope this pic that i have posted here is suitable to this thread, else kindly move it to the appropriate thread

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd December 2011 at 12:18. Reason: Removing font and colour tags
dhandapanik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:52   #617
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,954
Thanked: 2,724 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Spotted this FARGO bus owned by Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai ....
MDA would suggest an older registration, which could mean that this bus has been built on an old chassis as it looks more modern, an old bus has been rebodied. Try to check what engine it has, but again that could have been replced.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:32   #618
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

still looks quite an antique that Fargo bus.. nice find!
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:00   #619
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,630
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
MDA would suggest an older registration, which could mean that this bus has been built on an old chassis as it looks more modern, an old bus has been rebodied. Try to check what engine it has, but again that could have been replced.

Cheers harit
I don't have exact details, but we can safely say the MDA series was in issue in the mid to late 60s, looking at some reference numbers I have, seen on Mk 2 Ambys and Lambrettas.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:32   #620
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TN58/TN41/TN37
Posts: 184
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I don't have exact details, but we can safely say the MDA series was in issue in the mid to late 60s, looking at some reference numbers I have, seen on Mk 2 Ambys and Lambrettas.
This MDA registration could be from 70s. After M series we had TXX series for RTOs in TN. Below one is a Vintage class Truck which is being used by Madurai Corporation. I'm not able to spot the manufacturer name and other details.

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 12478
Size:  72.9 KB
dhandapanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:36   #621
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,954
Thanked: 2,724 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
..........a Vintage class Truck which is being used by Madurai Corporation. I'm not able to spot the manufacturer name and other details..........
That is a Dodge-Fargo truck made by Premier Automobiles.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:41   #622
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Spotted this FARGO bus owned by Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai in their college premises. This was running till last year. Now it is parked in their garage. Can someone help me in identifying the specifications for this and the year of make.
Wow, nice to see an old FARGO bus again after ages!! Nostalgic indeed!
My old school had one like this (identical front end atleast) when I'd studied there back in the 90s. I distinctly remember the split windscreen, the attractive front grille (which was possibly the only part of the bus still in good shape!) with all the horizontal chrome bars that surprisingly were always neat and shiny, considering the condition the bus was otherwise in! And of course the FARGO monogram atop it. Probably due to this, I developed a special liking for this bus. I often used to watch out for it as it would be parked in our school compound alongwith the other 2 buses, just before school was out at 3:30pm! And once we were out, I would stand and admire that bus from front as students and teachers who travelled in our school buses would start hurrying inside it and possibly no other student in our entire school gave it a second notice, not even the ones who travelled in it everyday!

I remember even talking about this particular bus to a few of my classmates, who also eventually got mildly interested in it. One guy even commented on the FARGO name "It will go very far everyday...thats why this name!"
It was originally painted a dull bluish grey, as were all our school buses. Then sometime in the mid 90s, they were all repainted a navy blue, but the red colour of the FARGO monogram and chrome grille on this bus were thankfully retained. Then a few years later, (by which time I'd left the school post 10th Std.) it was repainted yellow. I last saw it around 2002 or so, when it was given away to another branch of our school that was then opened. It looked kind of like this bus and was running but sadly not in very good condition, although the familiar grille and monogram were still intact. 'never seen it anymore, our school eventually got all newer buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
MDA would suggest an older registration, which could mean that this bus has been built on an old chassis as it looks more modern, an old bus has been rebodied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I don't have exact details, but we can safely say the MDA series was in issue in the mid to late 60s, looking at some reference numbers I have, seen on Mk 2 Ambys and Lambrettas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
This MDA registration could be from 70s. After M series we had TXX series for RTOs in TN. Below one is a Vintage class Truck which is being used by Madurai Corporation. I'm not able to spot the manufacturer name and other details.
MDA regn. has to be much before the 70s, as the Madras State was renamed as TN post 1970 if I'm not wrong, courtesy Annadurai the then CM.
As Karl suggested, it could be from the 60s or even before. It would be a Coimbatore regn., again if I'm not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
That is a Dodge-Fargo truck made by Premier Automobiles.
Yes the parrot-beak Dodge. a.k.a Premier Roadmaster, again IIRC?
Plenty of these still running around here.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 03:59   #623
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

I see a lot of these premier trucks running around in chennai carrying bricks, rubbish etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
MDA regn. has to be much before the 70s, as the Madras State was renamed as TN post 1970 if I'm not wrong, courtesy Annadurai the then CM.
As Karl suggested, it could be from the 60s or even before. It would be a Coimbatore regn., again if I'm not wrong.
Madras state was divided and TN came into being soon after independence in 1947. MDA is a 1970's Madurai Regn. It was MS series here in chennai at that time until the early 80s/late 70s when it changed to TM series and then in the mid 80s TS series.

Here is the RTO wise series in TN

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd December 2011 at 04:03.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:08   #624
BHPian
 
Arun.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Here is the RTO wise series in TN
I think there is some mix-up with the old registration series mentioned in the list. “TDL” and “TLS” does not belong to Coimbatore RTO.
Arun.K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:43   #625
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Madras state was divided and TN came into being soon after independence in 1947. MDA is a 1970's Madurai Regn. It was MS series here in chennai at that time until the early 80s/late 70s when it changed to TM series and then in the mid 80s TS series.
Interesting. So that explains how my 1962 Standard Companion's RC (still has the original Madras one) has "Tamil Nadu" on it, albeit its mentioned as a "duplicate" issued in the late 60s.
BUT, (sorry if I'm going ), now the question is if it was named as TN in 1947 itself, how come the MS (Madras State) and MD (Madras Dist.) series regns. continued on the vehicles until as late as the 70s?! And I reckon the TM series came out in early 70s itself as I've seen them on cars like Gazels/Presidents etc.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:30   #626
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Interesting. So that explains how my 1962 Standard Companion's RC (still has the original Madras one) has "Tamil Nadu" on it, albeit its mentioned as a "duplicate" issued in the late 60s.
BUT, (sorry if I'm going ), now the question is if it was named as TN in 1947 itself, how come the MS (Madras State) and MD (Madras Dist.) series regns. continued on the vehicles until as late as the 70s?! And I reckon the TM series came out in early 70s itself as I've seen them on cars like Gazels/Presidents etc.
Again off topic.During British times it was Madras Presidency and since Independence and was renamed as Madras State. It was renamed as Tamil Nadu in 1969.
Tamil Nadu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So all registrations prior to 1969 were MD,MS and so on and thereafter TN, TM.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 14:58   #627
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TN58/TN41/TN37
Posts: 184
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
That is a Dodge-Fargo truck made by Premier Automobiles.

Cheers harit
When this Dodge-Fargo truck was last made? I'm not seeing much of these trucks now a days.

Below one is a Hindustan make truck of BBMP(Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Pallike- Greater Bangalore Municipal Body). My friend spotted this in Bangalore. I'm seeing this Hindustan truck for first time. Seems that it is not in use now.

Copyright: R.Subramaniam
Name:  6457765651_d2e7d0e6bc_z.jpg
Views: 10716
Size:  202.9 KB

Name:  6457780537_bc8cbb5eae_z.jpg
Views: 10702
Size:  203.9 KB
dhandapanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 16:18   #628
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 913
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Spotted this FARGO bus owned by Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai in their college premises. This was running till last year. Now it is parked in their garage.
Hi Dhandapani,
This picture brings back my memories. I did my BE there. And this bus was used for transportation between the Ladies hostel and the college, and any of the TCE Alumini would be aware of the wierd name this bus bus has got.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 17:31   #629
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 109 Times
Post Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
When this Dodge-Fargo truck was last made? I'm not seeing much of these trucks now a days.

Below one is a Hindustan make truck of BBMP(Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Pallike- Greater Bangalore Municipal Body). My friend spotted this in Bangalore. I'm seeing this Hindustan truck for first time. Seems that it is not in use now.
I remember seeing this or similar Trucks in end 80s and 90s. distinctively remember one used by KSEB(Kerala State Electricity Board) . It was written "BEDFORD" IINM.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 17:58   #630
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I remember seeing this or similar Trucks in end 80s and 90s. distinctively remember one used by KSEB(Kerala State Electricity Board) . It was written "BEDFORD" IINM.
Hindustan Motors had a collaboration with GM for Bedford trucks and buses. They were renamed as HINDUSTAN after the collaboration expired. They had a horrible reputation for quality & reliability and everyone avoided them except a few govt. deptts. (not the STUs since they also avoided them).
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Procedure for converting commercial vehicles to private vehicles honeybee Commercial Vehicles 19 16th September 2017 16:12
Daimler India Commercial Vehicles - 20,000 trucks sold Aditya Commercial Vehicles 3 14th December 2016 17:04
Daimler India Commercial Vehicles opens new bus plant, unveils new products Aditya Commercial Vehicles 18 17th July 2015 13:36
Daimler India Commercial Vehicles starts exporting India-built FUSO trucks to Cambodia Aditya Commercial Vehicles 0 22nd June 2015 17:31
Commercial Vehicles : The Cool or Wacky Thread Spitfire Commercial Vehicles 21 4th October 2013 17:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks