Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th January 2008, 18:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Good to see these old beauties though after a long time.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 15:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Raghavendra how the hell did you manage to get the pics photography is prohibhited in this museum right ?

I only managed to get these snaps at 7:30pm in which veerendra hegde was travelling.

Which car is this ?

---Thats Studebaker Champion 1947-48.sir
vinaygurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 20:19   #48
BANNED

From what i've heard and read about these cars landing up at Dharmasthala museum is rather strange.

The Red Beetle thats been posted by me at Dharmasthala actually belonged to our BBC Club member Mr Vaidya,

Incidently it was asked by the authorities of D'stala and Mr Vaidya had to part with it.

He doesnt want to reveal more on it.

P.S.,: Posted as per heard.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 20:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
Pavan and all,
Does anyone know more about this Twenty ? The mascot is looking sideways because it's the only way to open the bonnet (if you don't want to dent it, of course!)
park-ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 03:57   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Pavan and all,
Does anyone know more about this Twenty ? The mascot is looking sideways because it's the only way to open the bonnet (if you don't want to dent it, of course!)
Hello park-ward:
Below is a Front 3Q view of the Dhramasthala RR 20 (MBN-258) if that helps to identify it.
(source of picture: unknown)
Name:  Dharmasthala MBN258 Rolls Royce 20 maybe .jpg
Views: 3624
Size:  36.9 KB
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 09:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygurav View Post
---Thats Studebaker Champion 1947-48.sir
If my dad remembers the reg number correctly, this car was with us for a while in the late 80s. We had two 53 champions for almost 25 years and also this one.

My granddad used these cars to carry produce from our estate outside Mysore to the market.

The 47 champion originally belonged to Sajjan Rao in Bangalore (of Sajjan Rao circle fame)

Cheers,
boeuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:07   #52
BHPian

Its called Manjoosha Musuem, located in Dharmasthala, 75 kms off Mangalore.
Most of the cars were donated and he has a group of dedicated mechanics who are taking care of these beauties.
He has an rare 1903 Renault in running condition.
Also an 1947 Studebaker Champion used by Dr.CV Raman and so on......
Till today we can see the cars being donated to this museum.
Attached Thumbnails
Beauties At Dharmasthala-cimg0275.jpg  

Attached Images

girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 10:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
In the same museum there is a ford limo which was used abraham lincoln a white one, do you have snaps of that, if yes please do post it.

Hi.

Abraham Lncoln lived from 1809 to 1865 and trust me the Ford Motor Company didnot exhixt at that time.

I wonder how Abe Lincoln could drive a Ford Limo when cars were not even invented when he was alive.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 00:55   #54

one of my relative who is working in Dharmasthala is the person who search for vintage car for that museum throught india..they purchase cars only if its is in a good condition and it should not be altered..they purchase the catalogue for re-painting and they order paints,orginal parts for the particular cars company....all the cars are driven only by his holyness veerendra heggde....weekly once or twice all the cars will be tested by the mechanic....all the cars are taken out for vintage rally..

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 10:26. Reason: Please see note in post.
abhijith.hegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 11:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijith.hegde View Post
...all the cars are driven only by his holyness veerendra heggde....
His holyness? Sri Veerendra Hegde does not hold a religious title, he is the administrative head of Dharmastala. He is a married man with kids. He does preside over religious functions and even acts quasi-judge in deciding civil cases that come to him. That is quite normal for administrative heads of famous temples.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 00:28   #56

He might be a administrative head of Dharmastala but he has got the devine power of the god..he is not an ordinary person..i know him better he is my grandfathers relative

His holyness doesnt mean he is a priest or a guru..his holyness word can also be used for royal families members who rules,for peraggdes,swamiji's etc..he is a peraggde so he can also called as his holyness..
abhijith.hegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 12:03   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He might be a administrative head of Dharmastala but he has got the devine power of the god..he is not an ordinary person..i know him better he is my grandfathers relative
Ok, I have nothing against such belief, I have relatives who think the same.

Quote:
His holyness doesnt mean he is a priest or a guru..his holyness word can also be used for royal families members who rules,for peraggdes,swamiji's etc..he is a peraggde so he can also called as his holyness..
I just wanted you know that the term holiness is not used loosely. I have never ever heard of Dr.Veerendra Hedge referred to as his Holiness.

His Holiness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 12:10   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, I have nothing against such belief, I have relatives who think the same.

I just wanted you know that the term holiness is not used loosely. I have never ever heard of Dr.Veerendra Hedge referred to as his Holiness.

His Holiness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Any connection with automobiles? Any holi car around?

BTW, in the days of old many temples, religious institutions etc. had good cars. I know of a RR P II, Hispano and Hupmobile which have had such connections. These are now with new owners, there must have been more. There is still a temple Citroen in south, and there was a Wolseley Siddley 1909 in Lucknow which is now in Bangalore.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 12:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

And, Is this being done by Veerendra Heggade in his personal capacity? Or the Dharmastala trust or something doing this?
Just curious as to why a temple authority would have a old car museum.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 13:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Any connection with automobiles? Any holi car around?

BTW, in the days of old many temples, religious institutions etc. had good cars. I know of a RR P II, Hispano and Hupmobile which have had such connections. These are now with new owners, there must have been more. There is still a temple Citroen in south, and there was a Wolseley Siddley 1909 in Lucknow which is now in Bangalore.
Oh, there were so many of them last week in multi colours!

Is the Hispano that you mention the one in the Ashram in the North? If yes, did you also mean that she's now sold from there?

I know of a pristine Plymouth Belvedere that's with an ashram in West Bengal. The car belongs to my family and was occasionally sent to ferry the swami around purely out of affection since he originally came from a family that performed our pujas. He became a saint! After he passed away while the car was with him, the devotees refused to return our car giving some spiritual spin and some of our elders were okay with that. And this Belvedere is a torqueflite!! The good part is that she is still in pristine condition (thank god for that at least).

Last edited by Prabal : 18th March 2009 at 13:11. Reason: one needs two cs for an occasion!
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote