Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd May 2011, 19:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Automotive Chor Bazaar Of Mumbai -All in a days work - An Eulogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
How does a NO sound, ravi bhai? Especially coming from yours truly?

Its actually a rare, early Herald, going by the "Godrej refrigerator handle" (as described by some power-that-be @ VCCCI I was told!) on the bonnet.)
Hey I didn't even know about these "Godrej ref" type handles ! I thought it was aftermarket.
Hmm, since even YOU say no, I'm sure the car's a goner of goners ! Feel bad, though.

Yes, the Merc and the Cedric (or Crown??) did look familiar. But all in all, what a waste, guys.

Need to increase the frequency of chor bazaar trips now..
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:24   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Automotive Chor Bazaar Of Mumbai -All in a days work - An Eulogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey I didn't even know about these "Godrej ref" type handles ! I thought it was aftermarket.
Hehe...incidentally, here is another such one that was spotted in Tujha Bum baia a few years ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post810452 (Standard cars in India)

'never seen/heard of it again though.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 22:33   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Guys !!

Chor bazaar, today was like a Fantasy-Land !! I saw, (among other cars) at least Five Mercs, a chop-top Herald, a Nissan Cedric, and an MEO registered President.

Here are some pics to mourn for..

1) WHY do such cars, (especially the 380 SEL and the Herald) land up in Chor bazaar ?
2) BTW, is the Herald worth saving ??
Ravi,
In my opinion, it ain't a Nissan Cedric but an old generation Toyota Crown. Saw those accompanied by a Buick Skylark near my house. All 3 are owned by a gangster. Don't know about the other 2 cars, but saw the Skylark today at a Lokhandwala roadside garage.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 22:51   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Don't know about the other 2 cars, but saw the Skylark today at a Lokhandwala roadside garage.
Aah, so someone's saved it ??

On a different note, I've always wondered what happened to these 'super luxurious' cars from the eighties.. Remember the Toyota Crown Super Saloon and the Royal Saloon ? Man, those were cars to die for in their era - mainly used by expats and consulates. If maintained well, the Crown will still hold its own among today's Luxo-Barges.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 14:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
If maintained well, the Crown will still hold its own among today's Luxo-Barges.
There is one Crown lying in Goa. I recently saw it. No pics as I was not sure the owner would appreciate it. Folks from Panaji will know this car.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 20:13   #111
BANNED

Talking about Toyota Crowns, does anyone remember the half a dozen Toyota Crowns lying at Napean sea road on the road towards Godrej Baug/Shimla House?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 23:21   #112
BHPian

Yes! Have been seeing them, not very lately though..
They are all tired and left to rust by some private Taxi operator there.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:59   #113
BANNED

Yep. They are all gone now. All replaced by first the Ford Ikon and then recently the Toyota Corolla. Now though, you dont see any of them there anymore as parking isnt allowed there or something. There were also a few nice E-Class W124s there all in white which also went into the ground. :(
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote