Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th July 2008, 23:02   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Then, there was the undertakers called "Snaize Brothers" (I think the oldest funeral directors in B"lore). I had seen two really old hearses in their garage. When my great-grandmother expired in 1992, one of those hearses (it looked like a Ford bus from the 30's) was used for her final journey. Shortly after that, they retired these vehicles, last time I saw them was in 1994.

Snaize Brothers was closed...will see if I can enquire next week about those hearses.
Well Sidman Im told one of those hearses is a Dodge Brothers, and is converted to a bus in a Pune collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-bus01.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-bus02.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:11   #137
BHPian

Default This is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well Sidman Im told one of those hearses is a Dodge Brothers, and is converted to a bus in a Pune collection.
This is the same hearse, I'm pretty sure! Wow...anymore info about it?
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:39   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the same hearse, I'm pretty sure! Wow...anymore info about it?
Well, I was told about this only recently by a friend. I always assumed it was an original bus, but now on closer inspection it does look like it has been altered more recently. The style of woodwork and seating especially.

If it were mine I would have kept it a hearse, no matter how morbid it would look!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 20:19   #139
BHPian

Default Classic hearse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If it were mine I would have kept it a hearse, no matter how morbid it would look!
I would have done the same! Except, every Oct. 31st (Halloween), I'd take the hearse out for a round of "Trick or Treat"
Old 13th July 2008, 20:29   #140
BHPian

Default Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
But a good find, found 6 classics lying at Manipal Motors-Deawoo Division Vasanthnagar,
I found the place today, being a Sunday, it was closed. It's called General Motors. Gate was locked, two guys were inside. When asked what did I want, I told them I have a Matiz that required some bodywork, hoping they'll let me in to show me a sample of their work. Then I smelt the booze on the guy's breath, and noticed the red eyes. I decided not to take chances since he was drunk, so I told him I'll come back some other time. I will arrange a trip with Pavan shortly. I really tried getting a good view of the compound. I only saw 1 white hardroof Land Rover in excellent condition, with DDI regn.
Old 13th July 2008, 23:07   #141
BANNED

Quote:
I found the place today, being a Sunday, it was closed. It's called General Motors. Gate was locked, two guys were inside. When asked what did I want, I told them I have a Matiz that required some bodywork, hoping they'll let me in to show me a sample of their work. Then I smelt the booze on the guy's breath, and noticed the red eyes. I decided not to take chances since he was drunk, so I told him I'll come back some other time. I will arrange a trip with Pavan shortly. I really tried getting a good view of the compound. I only saw 1 white hardroof Land Rover in excellent condition, with DDI regn.
Sid, You would have met Arun, That guy is always on dope on holidays.

Will join you next time you going there.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 19:37   #142
BHPian

Default Citroen Traction Avant.

Hi Folks,
Here's a link to an article in 'Times of India' of today (Aug 7),Chennai edition in the suppliment about my '46 Citroen Traction Avant 11BL . Please see page 42.

Welcome
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 20:30   #143
BHPian

Wow, Dussey
Very nice article and nice car too....
In feb, I saw one Ciroen for sale in Goa, poor condition and asking very high price.

I really like to come over to Chennai and visit you and see your collections.

Cheers
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 00:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

Superb, Dussey ! Have heard and read so much about you, would love to meet you in person someday. By the way I know two other guys who own Tractions in Mumbai. One is Cyrus Gandhy, and the other one Mr. Chowdhari.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 18:20   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect
Superb, Dussey ! Have heard and read so much about you, would love to meet you in person someday. By the way I know two other guys who own Tractions in Mumbai. One is Cyrus Gandhy, and the other one Mr. Chowdhari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv
Wow, Dussey
Very nice article and nice car too....
In feb, I saw one Ciroen for sale in Goa, poor condition and asking very high price.

I really like to come over to Chennai and visit you and see your collections.

Cheers
Thanks Guys, You are most welcome ! Yes, I know Cyrus Gandhi (Of Midtown). Perhaps, the next article would be of my 1938 Merc 170V sedan
which is almost ready after a long process of restoration.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th August 2008 at 19:28. Reason: Fixed quotes
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 21:42   #146
BHPian

Default Classics spotted today

It is amazing what you come across when you're lost and without your camera! Was looking for a DuPont paint dealer I'd been told about, in the bylanes off Tannery Road. There are at least 15 garages in a 1 km. radius here (area is called HBR Layout). Almost each garage had some treasure inside. Of course, no photos, I'll try and get some next week. One garage had a black Standard 8/10/ Pennant(?) which seemed to be nearly restored. Another one had a 1960's S Class Mercedes, very much like the one in JayD's avatar. Two other garages had a Maruti Gypsy each. Then I came across this large auto accessory shop. Outside was a yellow Morris Minor, seemed to be hot-rodded or modified. It had a rear spoiler too! Was a BMY regn. Next to it was a Beetle, painted just like the car Herbie (remember the series of Herbies goes.... movies?). This one was a TN regn.
Nearby was a car I could not recognize, it was all stripped and ready for paint. Looked like a chop-job.
Any B'lore TBHPians familiar with this area, please try and click some! I will carry my camera next time I go there.
Old 10th August 2008, 11:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

A chevy-6 in Khandala, apparently for sale wants a whopping 7 l
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-chevy6.gif  

the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 12:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

Seven Lakhs ! And the guy doesn't even care to protect the car from the elements. It's probably been there for an eternity and will continue to be there for another.
If only such guys sobered up a bit on their prices, the world would be a better place. Sigh !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 15:17   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Saw more junked Jawas and Roadkings, but wasn't allowed to take photos...
Hi Sidman:
Im Patrick from Bangalore, where did u find these jawas and RKs?
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 18:51   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Seven Lakhs ! And the guy doesn't even care to protect the car from the elements. It's probably been there for an eternity and will continue to be there for another.
If only such guys sobered up a bit on their prices, the world would be a better place. Sigh !
Apparently the car has a poona registration, it was found lying in some field. The owner informs me that he owns another ford also lying in some field outside poona. However that car doesnt have an engine.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote