Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd December 2009, 17:30   #256
BHPian

Dear Invinci,Send me your address and I will have a copy delivered. You have two very nice cars,original engines may still be obtainable crate packed if you have army connections.I was told they had quite a few brand new engines.Any help required..JUST HOLLER..
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 12:12   #257
BANNED

Spotted this Fiat 124 Familiare in Frazer Town. Waiting for some repairs to be done. Its parked on the road since few months. Hope it will be rescued soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01128.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01129.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01130.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 13:09   #258
BANNED

I need Details on the 124. Someone wants one real bad!! Is it for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I saw this parked near Cyrus' house. Nice one. Wonder whose, Can go for a shikar in it.
regards
This isnt the only LR there. There is another later model LR too, and then there is an Old defender in the garage in the same building.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 25th December 2009 at 13:13.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 14:56   #259
BANNED

Some cars resting peacefully.
What cars are these?
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01144.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01145.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01146.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01147.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-dsc01148.jpg  

Old 26th December 2009, 15:09   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
What cars are these?
The first black one looks like an Austin 8/10, the 3rd (big car) looks like an early 50s chevy. These 2 should be in rust in pieces thread IMHO. The green one looks like a resto project on the way to completion.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 15:18   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The first black one looks like an Austin 8/10, the 3rd (big car) looks like an early 50s chevy. These 2 should be in rust in pieces thread IMHO.
They are not rusting, so I did not post in rust in pieces thread. He he he.. These cars are in safe hands. So I am sure they wont die rusting.

Last edited by arun1100 : 26th December 2009 at 15:20.
Old 26th December 2009, 15:37   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
What cars are these?
What's the car in the last pic ? Has a nice "hofmeister kink" at the rear quarter glass, not unlike modern Beemers.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 18:03   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
What's the car in the last pic ? Has a nice "hofmeister kink" at the rear quarter glass, not unlike modern Beemers.

Interesting observation there, Ravi. Only, the kink in the design of this car is a lot more pronounced unlike the subtle treatment by Wilhelm Hofmesiter on BMW design works. Incidentally, Mister Hofmesiter first put this design on a BMW in the early 60s. And this design, interestingly appeared in various other automobiles, before and after that. But Beemers got associated with it more popularly.

Anyway, the car in the pix above is a 1946-47 Sunbeam-Talbot.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 19:35   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Interesting observation there, Ravi. Only, the kink in the design of this car is a lot more pronounced unlike the subtle treatment by Wilhelm Hofmesiter on BMW design works. Incidentally, Mister Hofmesiter first put this design on a BMW in the early 60s. And this design, interestingly appeared in various other automobiles, before and after that. But Beemers got associated with it more popularly.

Yes true Prabal its a Sunbeam Talbot which the rear door and window indicates.The rear door and window design was unique and stands out in the crowd.Rather seeing the front mudguards without the headlamps and the grille I was thinking its could be a Hillman Minx of the 1940's-indeed these are The Rootes Group cars and so the similarity.
Picture source:amazon.com
Name:  salpark.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  157.4 KB
A later model with headlights fused within the front mudguards.The rear door and windows remain the same.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th December 2009 at 19:45.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 22:56   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Dear Invinci,Send me your address and I will have a copy delivered. You have two very nice cars,original engines may still be obtainable crate packed if you have army connections.I was told they had quite a few brand new engines.Any help required..JUST HOLLER..
Dear Bulldogji- This is in ref. to your above post. army and original engines. Dont get the connection. Pls educate.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 23:13   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes true Prabal its a Sunbeam Talbot which the rear door and window indicates.The rear door and window design was unique and stands out in the crowd.Rather seeing the front mudguards without the headlamps and the grille I was thinking its could be a Hillman Minx of the 1940's-indeed these are The Rootes Group cars and so the similarity.
A later model with headlights fused within the front mudguards.The rear door and windows remain the same.
OK, I think the mystery is solved, hence editing this post of mine- this is what the car would look like, a "suicide" front door Sunbeam Talbot, previous to the model you have posted!

I got the clue when you said the later model had the headlights fused within the mudguards!

Here's a similar early example in mint condition seen at every show here:

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-img_1126.jpg

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-img_1127.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 26th December 2009 at 23:30.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 00:58   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post

Ravi, call it serendipity or just an obsessive mind that can't get a thought out of the way unless the nigle has been sorted. I wrote the previous post in a hurry and then rushed out (with a prayer on my lips!) to join my wife waiting in the car for a dinner out (at a nice place called Tero Parbon in Calcutta, where I am on a flying visit) and all along the way I had one eye out for detecting the Hofmeister Kink on our modern cars, other than BMWs, because at the back of my mind I knew that I had seen it on many. And guess what? It's there on all these, in differing angles of the sweepback: Indigo/CS/Indica, Ikon, A-Star, D'Zire, U-Va, i-10, Fiesta and the Xylo (although the Xylo has a D-pillar also, our Kink's on the important C's greenhouse!!). Maybe many of our other vehicles have it too, but I just caught these today. Of course as I wrote in the previous post, Wilhelm Hofmeister wasn't really original with this design and it kinda stuck to his name because of the mass use by BMW across the range in it's modern avatar (the first Beemer to sport it was the 1500 in 1960 though), so we'll call it the Hofmeister effect on our cars as well, just for the sake of riling a few designers out here! Hope this post isn't too OT!!

Last edited by Prabal : 27th December 2009 at 01:01.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 12:49   #268
BHPian

Dear Kavesh,1956 dodge engines were supplied by premier automobiles to the army who used a large number of these models.I was informed that although the cars are long gone,crate packed engines may still be available with them for disposal.All depends on contacts.Regards
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 11:44   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Some more of these classics.

This one is a 1969 Microbus, completely restored and just lying idle since 3 yrs.

Might get my hands on it sooner or later.

The other is a Oldsmobile, neat car but HUGE. resembles an elephant from all angles.
Is The Oldsie Up For Grabs????? Some More Pics pleaseeeee....!!!!
Micki9559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 11:55   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Beast View Post
Saw this Near rajouri garden.
Its "some" Chevy
Any Idea whether this is up for grabs???
Micki9559 is offline   Reply With Quote