Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 8th March 2008, 21:24   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
The small round parking lights of '54, '55, and '56 are very very rare to find anymore. The horizontal oblong types (PAL make) for '57 and '58 Dukkar are still available, However, Italian ones are very rare again.
If I empty my collection from the loft, I am confident of finding an Italian Brandnew set of the each of the above.
14" steel rims with hub cap clips are the ones that came from '54 to '67 or '68. I am not aware if they ever came in different widths. If you try hard you can hit upon a reasonably good condition used set from old cars being scrapped.
Radials never came as standard OE fitment on above FIATS. You'd rather do well fitting CEAT SAFETY DRIVES (rarely available today) or MRF (easily available but not standard OE fitment) white walls. These will give the FIATS a PERIOD and very elegant look if you are planning to restore into ORIGINAL (unmodified) condition.
President -- I found a shop in JC road today that carries old Fiat parts. He had 2 type of these parking lenses. One was cheap and poor quality. The other by ST (Sweet T???) was a pretty good quality lens. He also showed me the base by ST and I compared with the Carello base that I had -- they were pretty comparable, but hard to be definitive as both the Carello and teh ST were pretty old. So, I picked up a pair of the ST lenses for 60 each.

BTW, this is for a '66 1500 Convertible. The earlier side markers I'd asked about -- what are they called? When I tried to describe it to him he immediately said "fish type" and he had just sold out his last set. But, I'm not sure that is the same as what I was looking for.

Oh, on the front lens, this car uses a 2 filament bulb for turn signal and parking light. With a white lens, I probably need an amber bulb, but the local auto shop said that the ambers came only in single filament. What type of bulb did the 54-56 cars use?

I think this car came with Pirelli radials originally. But, it's steel wheels were replaced with Cheviot alloys fitted with spacers. I don't like these alloys that much so am considering going back the steel wheels with 145 or 155 width radials (if avail).

B
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 22:15   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh, on the front lens, this car uses a 2 filament bulb for turn signal and parking light. With a white lens, I probably need an amber bulb, but the local auto shop said that the ambers came only in single filament. What type of bulb did the 54-56 cars use?
I remember when I was a kid visiting Italy 71 and 73, italian cars, or rather cars in Italy used only white front indicators. It made cars one usually saw in Uk look subtly different. Amber wing repeaters were mandatory.

Especially remember the VW Beetles - they merely put a white lens in and cut a piece of the side casing and put an amber lens as a repeater.

Hence, you might not need an amber lens for the authentic look for the Fiat 1500
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 22:23   #33
BHPian

Agree. These cars originally also came with the white lens, but for safety in India I am thinking of putting an amber bulb behind the white lens so that the signal is more visible.
B
71Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 10:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Came across this lovely Datsun Coupe (103A or something, experts please verify) yesterday. It is in a startlingly complete condition, including the interior. Couldn't get a look into the engine bay. Enquiries at the nearby mechanic shop confirmed that it is awaiting a restoration. I have fallen in love with this dumpy-looking little car.....

Shot at 2008-03-08

Shot at 2008-03-08
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 11:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Stanher, Another one for you! Found this Mk1 herald in coimbatore yesterday. It is used as a baraat car! Sorry for the poor pic! but there was a huge crowd and couldn't take better pix!
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008703.jpg  

JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 11:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Stanher, Another one for you! Found this Mk1 herald in coimbatore yesterday. It is used as a baraat car! Sorry for the poor pic! but there was a huge crowd and couldn't take better pix!
OMG!!! Its another rare early ('62) Herald!!!

Damn, how come the early Heralds happen to be ending up in wrong hands!!

Quite an unusual colour for a baraat car though- or maybe they are yet to paint it red?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 11:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OMG!!! Its another rare early ('62) Herald!!!

Damn, how come the early Heralds happen to be ending up in wrong hands!!

Quite an unusual colour for a baraat car though- or maybe they are yet to paint it red?

Funnily, EVERY singe herald i've ever seen(except the MK2 one my uncle had, and scrapped for 2500 rs!!) is a MK1! never seen another MK2 or a MK3!!! and have seen excatly 2 gazel's! One was owned by my neighbour, and all the kids in my colony used to run away whenever we saw it coz the owner would call all of us to push start the car!!

P.S: if it makes u feel any better, the baraat guy also owns a 1960 impala, also used as a baraat car!!!

Last edited by JayD : 9th March 2008 at 11:44.
Old 9th March 2008, 12:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Funnily, EVERY singe herald i've ever seen(except the MK2 one my uncle had, and scrapped for 2500 rs!!) is a MK1! never seen another MK2 or a MK3!!! and have seen excatly 2 gazel's! One was owned by my neighbour, and all the kids in my colony used to run away whenever we saw it coz the owner would call all of us to push start the car!!

P.S: if it makes u feel any better, the baraat guy also owns a 1960 impala, also used as a baraat car!!!
you really think that makes me feel better??
Old 9th March 2008, 12:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@Stanher, get your guns out - either shoot JayD, or better still - the guy who has the cars.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 12:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Stanher, get your guns out - either shoot JayD, or better still - the guy who has the cars.

Okie, guys! here's the impala!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008699.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008700.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008701.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 9th March 2008 at 13:06.
Old 9th March 2008, 13:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

More pix! I'm able to attach only 3 pix per post! why is that??
err... do i hear a gun loading somewhere??
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008702.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-07032008704.jpg  

Old 9th March 2008, 13:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Hopefully, Stanher is going after the car-wala. You could check if he'd like some comapany !

@JayD, that Impala looks to be maintained quite well.

Reg uploading the pics, you can load more than 3 - you would need to upload the first 3, then go back to upload the next 3 and so on, before you finally submit the message (with the pics).

Last edited by condor : 9th March 2008 at 13:16.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 13:40   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Well luckily for the guy I dont have the licence to use a gun!

Btw its not a '60 but a '61-62 Impala.

Uh, any chance of getting him to part with the Herald??
Old 9th March 2008, 14:42   #44
BHPian

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero View Post
Came across this lovely Datsun Coupe (103A or something, experts please verify) yesterday. It is in a startlingly complete condition, including the interior. Couldn't get a look into the engine bay. Enquiries at the nearby mechanic shop confirmed that it is awaiting a restoration. I have fallen in love with this dumpy-looking little car.....

Shot at 2008-03-08
Its the rare 2 Door Datsun 100A - 1970.

In 1970 Datsun launched a technological breakthrough in the form of the Datsun 100A. It used a well proven 988cc engine, and a separate casing for its gearbox and final drive unit so the oil isn't shared, and all independent suspension. The little car was notable when new for its innovational qualities. At the time very few cars used the familiar front wheel drive transverse engine layout, as originally used in the BMC Mini some 11 years earlier. For its first venture into front wheel drive, Datsun where rewarded with phenomenal sales in Europe of this series of little cars.

Keep a watch over it, if its up for sale anytime if the owner does not restore her. will make a nice classic.
Shreeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 16:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Its the rare 2 Door Datsun 100A - 1970.

In 1970 Datsun launched a technological breakthrough in the form of the Datsun 100A. It used a well proven 988cc engine, and a separate casing for its gearbox and final drive unit so the oil isn't shared, and all independent suspension. The little car was notable when new for its innovational qualities. At the time very few cars used the familiar front wheel drive transverse engine layout, as originally used in the BMC Mini some 11 years earlier. For its first venture into front wheel drive, Datsun where rewarded with phenomenal sales in Europe of this series of little cars.

Keep a watch over it, if its up for sale anytime if the owner does not restore her. will make a nice classic.
Thanks for the info, shreeram! I'll try and go back sometime and find out more about this car.....
islero is offline   Reply With Quote