Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd June 2008, 21:22   #121
BHPian

Default Spotted today!

A friend and me were taking a leisurely spin on my newly acquired 1970 Lambretta, when I spotted some interesting cars! Unfortunately, I have no photos, my friend thinks that we'll get into deep **** if we examine or enquire about other people's cars! But anyway, as a kid, I remembered seeing some classics in the area I grew up, which is Shantinagar/Langford Town area. There was a Herald and Gazel parked in the basement of a building. There was a blue Austin Cambridge parked at another building. Then, there was the undertakers called "Snaize Brothers" (I think the oldest funeral directors in B"lore). I had seen two really old hearses in their garage. When my great-grandmother expired in 1992, one of those hearses (it looked like a Ford bus from the 30's) was used for her final journey. Shortly after that, they retired these vehicles, last time I saw them was in 1994.
So today, I roamed the area looking for these. Results:
One white Standard Herald with flat tyres was found in the same place I remember it being, but the Gazel is gone.
One 1970's model Mercedes was spotted parked next to a Bungalow in the same area...looked like it was in disuse.
Snaize Brothers was closed...will see if I can enquire next week about those hearses.
Took a detour, so couldn't check on the Austin Cambridge.

I will definitely try to get pics, and enquire if the owners might be selling.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:41   #122
BANNED

Pawan, is that a red CAMARO i spot??

Also, what is the car on the right hand side??
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Pawan, is that a red CAMARO i spot??

Also, what is the car on the right hand side??
That car on the side is a Rover
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 21:51   #124
BHPian

Default Some car owners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
A friend and me were taking a leisurely spin on my newly acquired 1970 Lambretta, when I spotted some interesting cars!
After experiencing the helpful nature of Team-BHPians, I have to say you guys are a rare lot. Specially after today's experiences. I had spotted some interesting cars while loafing around couple of weeks ago, and found the time today to go and have a closer look, take photos, maybe meet the owner. I'm sure other Team-BHPians have had similar (maybe worse) experiences like this. Some car owners are so crabby, selfish and eccentric that even a hard-boiled enthusiast would be put off!
I managed to get a look at the Standard Herald, Mk 2 only because the watchman was a slightly helpful chap. He let me look closely at the car. He wouldn't tell me who the owner was. It seems the owner has threatened to fire him if he gives out any info or lets anyone photograph the car. So I thought greasing his palm might help. He even refused that, and said he'll lose his job if I click photos. There were also two Triumph motorcycles parked in the same building. On the neighbouring lane, I had seen a 70's model Merc sedan, and thought I'll try the owner. This time, there was a Toyota Crown parked next to it, and the owner was getting into it. Gate was locked, so when he came to unlock it, I asked him if he owned these cars, and if I could take a closer look. He wanted to know why, so I told him that I'm interested in older vehicles (duh...he should have guessed as he saw me pull up on a 1970 Lambretta). He just said "I don't have the time" and walked off. So I said fine, and walked off.
This is why I have no photos to show.
Must say, it was an interesting experience, and I'm thankful to be part of Team-BHP, where one guy helps the next guy, even if they have never met in person. I salute that attitude!
I guess if these guys were approached by a hot-looking lady who was interested in their cars, they'd probably allow her to take the car for a spin
Old 7th July 2008, 22:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That car on the side is a Rover
That too a P5 Mk II with Rostyle wheels could even be a elusive V8 but cant see the roof pitch well enough to differentiate.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 23:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
That too a P5 Mk II with Rostyle wheels could even be a elusive V8 but cant see the roof pitch well enough to differentiate.
The V-eight P5 only, and always, had Rostyle wheels, so this should be the GM-engined 3.5 V-eight P5B, unless the wheels are a switch! And the wider quarter glass suggests that she isn't the low-roofed coupe.

Have always coveted the P5. Been admiring yours on the forum, Amol. My compliments on possessing such a lovely car!

Last edited by Prabal : 7th July 2008 at 23:28.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:06   #127
BANNED

Sadly this time my mobile camera refused to work, niether had a camera at hand.

But a good find, found 6 classics lying at Manipal Motors-Deawoo Division Vasanthnagar,

Anyone near this place can pls get the pics of these cars there, else i am going there again next week, will post pics soon.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:58   #128
BANNED

Just look at this,

Stan Derd Herald parked in a normal parking lot, looks its running but not kept well, This Herald was parked here for a long time before one of our T-BHP guy got it and currently undergoing restoration.
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2008, 20:36   #129
BHPian

Default Taking photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

But a good find, found 6 classics lying at Manipal Motors-Deawoo Division Vasanthnagar,

Anyone near this place can pls get the pics of these cars there, else i am going there again next week, will post pics soon.
I am close to Vasanthnagar, but I think you're the man for the job. Unlike me, you at least own one classic (the Beetle), so those garage guys might be more willing to allow you to take photos.
Old 8th July 2008, 22:59   #130
BANNED

Quote:
I am close to Vasanthnagar, but I think you're the man for the job. Unlike me, you at least own one classic (the Beetle), so those garage guys might be more willing to allow you to take photos.

Siddy.

You dont need to own one, i began hunting for cars much before i got my Buggy.

Just walk into Manipal Motors situated just after the Iyappa temple and start snapping your pics.

Let me know when u intend to go there, will join you.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:03   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just look at this,

Stan Derd Herald parked in a normal parking lot, looks its running but not kept well, This Herald was parked here for a long time before one of our T-BHP guy got it and currently undergoing restoration.
Interesting! 'glad atleast now the car got a good home! Any current pics.?

Or if I got it right, you did post them once already? A herald of the same colour being restored? 'had the roof off, plus fitted with a Gazel dash. Same car?

And now here is a '65 plymouth belvedere V8 station wagon (phew! name as long as the car! ) resting at a workshop. Its originally from your state!

I asked if it came for any minor repair as it doesnt seem to have anything being done on it. 'was just told its owned by someone running a prominent local newspaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-ply01.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-ply02.jpg  

Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-ply03.jpg  

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 12:06   #132
BANNED

Quote:

Stan,

This is the V8 that i was referring to resting at Manipal Motors in Bangalore.

Nice to see the pics posted by you.

cheers:
Old 10th July 2008, 12:09   #133
Senior - BHPian

Thats a cool collection they have and though not in good condition they might cost a bomb and definitely when one plans to restore it would really come out beautiful and wish i could own one classic.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 16:36   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stan,

This is the V8 that i was referring to resting at Manipal Motors in Bangalore.

Nice to see the pics posted by you.

cheers:
Thank you pavan!

But um, this car is now here in Hyderabad.
Old 12th July 2008, 22:19   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One white Standard Herald with flat tyres was found in the same place I remember it.
Which incidentally was this one, photo by "Jay". This car has 2 fuel tanks (opening seen on the right wing as well) plus, from sidman's description, an air-scoop on the bonnet, which would most likely mean it was in use as a rally car once. It could have even been used in Sholavaram back in the days.
'would be worth meeting the owners, they may share some really interesting stuff about rallying heralds back then! Good luck!
Geez, looking at this pic. the Herald seemed to be an even smaller car than an Esteem!
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in Peace...Pics of Resting Vintage and Classics-mk2.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 12th July 2008 at 22:23.