Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th March 2008, 16:01   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here you go Awini. These were shot at last months rally, I found them at some link on the forum itself.
Thanks Karlos, you saved me a trip to my uncle's garage!!
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Superb collection Deepak. My favorite is the LaSalle. Love those spoked wheels, the color combo and the muscular stance.

Nice to see such cars in immaculate condition. I am sure it must be a herculean task caring for each of them.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:14   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Superb collection Deepak. My favorite is the LaSalle. Love those spoked wheels, the color combo and the muscular stance.

Nice to see such cars in immaculate condition. I am sure it must be a herculean task caring for each of them.
The credit goes to my uncle who at 75 still starts her regularly and takes her out for a spin. It most certainly is very admirable that even at that age he perseveres. Another younger uncle of mine though did most of the running around while getting it painted and actually did the most to look after the car for years for his older bro!!

When the car was with me at home for a short while I had the car tuned, as my father had used it extensively in his younger days and knew the car intimately.

By the way before it gets too confusing Dad has 7 brothers!!!

The LaSalle came in the Maroon and Black fender combination. The car was once painted silver grey/black fenders and now back to its original shade. The top however used to be a camel shade, now is black

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2008 at 16:22.
Old 19th March 2008, 22:31   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A 1960 Mercedes Benz 180D LHD I picked up a few years ago. Although I towed her home with a WagonR later it started and I was able to drive it twice. I like the shape of pontons and figured it would look gorgeous when done up well, so I decided to do a full frame up restoration. Presently under restoration

Name:  MVC076F.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  MVC083F.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  64.2 KB

Up until 1996 this Hillman was a daily driver in the house. Its a very original car with everything in working order and belonged originally to retired air chief marshall Idris Latif's mother. I am the second owner. The car was in its original pale green shade when we bought it in 1987 and had it painted this beige. Considering its originality she deserves a quality restoration

Name:  1954HillmanMinxMarkVII.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 19th March 2008, 23:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

DKG, can't wait to see how the ponton would look after your detailed restoration!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 00:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful collection.. I love the merc..
Please start a new thread where we all can follow the restoration process..

It would be great to see this car restored to original glory

Goddy
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 12:03   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Please start a new thread where we all can follow the restoration process
I've been posting the work carried out so far on a 1938 Packard at the link below, perhaps I can add to the same thread pictures of the work commenced on the Merc

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-car-bike.html
Old 20th March 2008, 17:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

I was unsure about the bumper guards on your Minx at first, but a little googling proved me wrong.

I was expecting to see guards like the ones pictured below. Any idea why there were 2 designs offered? I mean were there 2 trim levels or did the model year get freshened up?

The reason I noticed this was my mentor in Bombay has researched every bumper guard available back in the day, and he found this Minx design was likely to cause maximum damage to the other car in the event of a collision, so he fits them to all his Morris and Fiats, in anticipation of Bombays notorious traffic.
Attached Images

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th March 2008 at 17:03.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 17:18   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why there were 2 designs offered? I mean were there 2 trim levels or did the model year get freshened up?
From the picture you posted APX 392 seems to have the short trunk. The Minx I have has the larger trunk. My car is a 1954 Hillman Minx Mark 7 possibly the other car is a 53?

I have some literature at home will refer to it and get back to you. Glad to see someone is interested in Hillmans. The suspension on this car is fabulous, like the Buicks
Old 21st March 2008, 10:14   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Karlos I checked the owner's manual of the car I have. Interestingly this was an accessory sold in those days and was not a standard fitment. They were called "outriders" for the bumpers
Old 21st March 2008, 10:25   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Karlos I checked the owner's manual of the car I have. Interestingly this was an accessory sold in those days and was not a standard fitment. They were called "outriders" for the bumpers
Interesting. In the little googling that I did, I saw this style of guard only on pick ups. The others featured the older style like that on the green car.

So what is the current status of your Minx? From the picture she doesnt look like she needs any restoration.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:30   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. In the little googling that I did, I saw this style of guard only on pick ups. The others featured the older style like that on the green car.

So what is the current status of your Minx? From the picture she doesnt look like she needs any restoration.
The paintwork and upholstery is now 21 years old, I feel she deserves a new paintjob and fresh upholstery. Engine is still smooth and car doesn't need any mechanical work. The original shock absorber links tend to snap, need to renew those. So mainly a cosmetic upgrade would make it look great.

PS: Did you find pictures of a similar 54 with diff outriders(bumper protectors)?

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 10:32.
Old 21st March 2008, 11:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: Did you find pictures of a similar 54 with diff outriders(bumper protectors)?
Nope, an oversight on my part with the extended boot. Apologies.

Is this what the original colour would have been like? Very period looking. Do you plan to revert to this shade?
Attached Images

Old 21st March 2008, 11:16   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, an oversight on my part with the extended boot. Apologies.

Is this what the original colour would have been like? Very period looking. Do you plan to revert to this shade?
Yes almost, possibly slightly lighter. Do you think I should go back to it? Am inclined to.

PS: The real challenge is when people look at it they should get confused as to whether the car is still in its original colour, that's when the resto has got it right. So often and so easily these days you can tell a car has been repainted. That simply loses the whole charm

Interestingly Princess Esra renovating the Falaknuma Palace is having carpets woven with the patinated look!! Now that's what we need to do for cars too.

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 11:20.
Old 21st March 2008, 11:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes almost, possibly slightly lighter. Do you think I should go back to it? Am inclined to.
I've always been a sucker for originality even If I dont care for the way it looks, and moreso on such virgin cars. Im sure since you got the car in original paint there must be a small patch somewhere to which you can match the colour. If you are getting down to a restoration, might as well go all the way dont you think?

A friend had painted his Fiat so carefully, after caringly removing every little rubber plug dismantling every nut and bolt so lovingly, the end result was very VERY hard to tell. Circumstances changed, he sold the car, the new owner immedeately overcoated such a ghastly job and undid all his hard work, there were literally tears in his eyes!