Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st March 2008, 11:33   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I've always been a sucker for originality even If I dont care for the way it looks, and moreso on such virgin cars. Im sure since you got the car in original paint there must be a small patch somewhere to which you can match the colour. If you are getting down to a restoration, might as well go all the way dont you think?
I fully agree with you and I think its best I return her to her former state. We never scraped the original paint down to metal so I'm sure I'll find the original green under. This car truly deserves such care as its so very original. Infact the original carb was giving us trouble and we went to the extent of picking up a brandnew original (NOS) from England for 50 pounds just to make sure everything stayed original.

The only thing I need to source for this car is the side traffic indicators. These were either removed for repairs and lost by the original owner or were broken. If you ever find some or know of Hillman fans who are in the know of where to find a pair please let me know
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 11:41   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The other subject Karlos which kinda worries me is the new paintsystems. I am slightly wary of the super gloss modern 2K systems are enabling. Dad who has seen these cars brand new says they were beautifully glossy when new but somehow I find the 2K finish slightly tacky.

I could be totally wrong though. With painting its all about getting the surface right. Slight imperfections showup readily and since you use the clearcoats the imperfections are highlighted.

I have yet to see a 2K painted car look almost like the original colour. Just haven't seen quality restorations to judge the paint.

Like one shouldn't blame the dancefloor for not being able to dance perhaps we should first question our abilities before we question the 2K systems

Just a thought, what do you feel? Perhaps you've seen stuff done in 2K which looks just like the original?

PS: Everyday I walk into the bodyshop of our dealership and have a chat about painting workmanship. Trying to ace it

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 11:44.
Old 21st March 2008, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From the picture you posted APX 392 seems to have the short trunk. The Minx I have has the larger trunk. My car is a 1954 Hillman Minx Mark 7 possibly the other car is a 53?

I have some literature at home will refer to it and get back to you. Glad to see someone is interested in Hillmans. The suspension on this car is fabulous, like the Buicks
I'm more than interested in Hillmans; they helped me grow up!
Attached Images

Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 14:40   #34
Team-BHP Support

We've had this discussion in the past as well elsewhere on the forum. I personally havent been a fan of 2K systems, but again like you said it depends mostly on the painter. Compared to whats available today, the 2K systems certainly have been known to last longer under rigourous conditions, but our application means the cars will be well sheltered and sparingly used, so not an issue. I recently painted my Beetle in Standox 2K, and to be perfectly honest Im not that impressed. I have seen equally good Duco jobs that are over 10 years old. Ive decided to paint my next car in Duco, especially keeping the costing in mind, which I have found doesnt do justice.

When was the green Packard last painted and how have you found the results so far?

EDIT- All of the new big budget restorations Ive seen of late have been using only Standox, and no doubt they look superb. Im just not sure if Duco cant achieve that finish in the hands of a master painter.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st March 2008 at 14:42.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 15:41   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
When was the green Packard last painted and how have you found the results so far?
Manvendra Singh had painted this car using Krilo paints. Must be about 20 years old. After I bought it I waterrubbed and buffed it to its present sheen. The Krilo paint looks very sober and quite like the metallics that used to come on Packards. The original shade of the car was a blue, a section of it remained under side running board beadings so I have a reference point as and when I get to doing up the Packard

Here in Hyderabad almost all the other paintjobs using 2K are horrendous. Perhaps its the poor colour choice or simply shabby paint workmanship.

I quite agree that the superior resistance to weathering that 2K's offer makes it a worthy choice. I think if you don't goof up on the choice of colour and its applied well it just might look the real deal.

It is an acknowledged fact that NC paints (Duco) can achieve a finish as good as any other system. Its plain down to the painter's hard work.

Our other Packard came in Ivory with green leather.
Old 21st March 2008, 16:19   #36
BHPian

Duco NC's work out well.Easy to spray & lot less expensive than PPG,Dupont 2K's
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 19:08   #37
BHPian

hello DKG, can i please please have some information or literature on the hillman, cause i have one..its a '34 and i need to get and source some parts for it...honestly i have tried may places, but feel that fabrication is the next best option.. like door handles, fender indicators etc..
(IVI) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 22:11   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (IVI) View Post
hello DKG, can i please please have some information or literature on the hillman, cause i have one..its a '34 and i need to get and source some parts for it...honestly i have tried may places, but feel that fabrication is the next best option.. like door handles, fender indicators etc..
Not many people realise the value of these lovely British marques. Chances are you can get a parts car for peanuts, should be ideal for just what you need for your car. We also had a 49 Vauxhall Wyvern, another lovely car. Will post all the pics once I scan them in
Old 22nd March 2008, 19:18   #39
BHPian

IVI, please post picture of your Hillman & provide details of engine,
parts. write what is needed. Let us try & check on internet.

Here is useful website to see Brochures & old cars manuals

Home Page - The Old Car Manual Project
The Old Car Manual Project - Upload Gallery
Site Index - The Old Car Manual Project

Once one Hillman car was posted in one of the thread along with Austin,
is it the same car belongs to you.

Hillman cars were famous from Rootes Group, but sadly all the famous British cars were gone. Hillman, Humber, Singer, Simca, Sunbeam,
Talbot, MG were some of best and exported to India, but few survive to
this day. Sunbeam Talbot one seen in Hyd, Humber Hawk seen in Sec'bad
still in top condition with army. One Yellow MG seen few years back in Hyd.

My family used to have Hillman 1928 convertible long time back, never
seen again that model. In some B/W old movies Hillman seems to be in taxi's in Bombay.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 03:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG

I am writing in this thread almost after a year since there has been a post.I would like to ask you what is the status on the restoration of your 180D and is there a seperate thread dedicated to its restoration?

Thankx

Regards
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 10:15   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi DKG

I am writing in this thread almost after a year since there has been a post.I would like to ask you what is the status on the restoration of your 180D and is there a seperate thread dedicated to its restoration?

Thankx

Regards
Indrojit I have taken the car apart and have to start the laborious process of renewing each item before reassembly. The body needs some attention too so I have to get the underside and cabin insides sandblasted before I commence the body work.

I'll start a thread on the car. Time has become such a scarce commodity what with my weekends spent either biking or offroading. Wish I had atleast two extra days off each week for restoration work only

You won't believe it. I have so many fun projects lined up at home that it would keep me busy for a good two years if I worked on it continously. There's a camper I am building out of aluminium at home too which is about 70% complete and now waiting for finishing.

Should retire soon and complete all these projects
Old 25th December 2009, 08:08   #42
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear DKG,

It was very nice to meet you again after about 5 years and catch up with you. I was amazed to see the commitment to keep originality on the restoration project of the 1933 chevy you are overseeing. Even if one has the money very few people can keep such a high level of commitment to get a car to the same condition as it would have been when it left the showroom. Amazing is an understatement! Hope you will post the complete story one day on this project.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 11:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

DKG, the hillman pic looks familiar, was it advertised in Auto India a few years back?
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 11:05   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
It was very nice to meet you again after about 5 years and catch up with you.
It was indeed a pleasure catching up KPS. Glad you enjoyed seeing the work being carried out on the Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
DKG, the hillman pic looks familiar, was it advertised in Auto India a few years back?
Good memory. Yes I did advertise the car many years back. Still looking for a good home for it
Old 26th December 2009, 13:12   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Good memory. Yes I did advertise the car many years back. Still looking for a good home for it
What home could be better than yours?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote