Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 11th April 2008, 01:42   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyman View Post
Do you know when/where Ford opened their first show room in India and/or the types of any of the cars in the photos? Any historical info you have will be much appreciated. I'm in Eyam/UK
Nice to hear from you Historyman, All I have read about Ford in India is that it was set up by Ford of Canada in 1926 and that 22,000 Model T Fords came to India!!?
Ford History
But is that correct? I don't know. I don't have any literature on.....Fords....
Identifying the other cars correctly will take time. I believe Eyam is in the Peak District? Very pleasant situation. I'm stuck in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Aah another 1912 Ghost! Good to see how the original fender met the running board
The Nizam's Napiers are chain driven. What other cars of the era had such a system?

By the way I successfully shifted all the cars to their permanent exhibit site in Chowmahalla Palace, with no damage done. I had an imported recovery truck come down from Bombay to help me with the shifting. Couldn't risk anything
Lots of cars were chain drive? Patiala 0 for one. I suspect an awesome amount of historical interest in that photo and the other one. Oh for more photos of the same events....
Sounds like you've been busy moving some best quality fancy goods Those cars will need a major amount of work to do them justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Lovely old photos, Julian! Although looking more in detail at this pic.:

The Digital South Asia Library - A Calcutta City Scene

Are you sure this was taken at Calcutta? Because squinting at the "Bharath Cafe" board on the left building, I can make out some words, below the name, painted in what looks like Tamil.
Also a few of the men in the photo are wearing 'vEshtis' (lungi-like garment), so am wondering if it could've actually been Madras?
Hi Stanher, you may well be right, its hard to make out the script on that sign. The other photos are all by the same photographer and they are all in Kolkata.

For those who like flowers one more photo:
The Digital South Asia Library - Flower vendors
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 04:29   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aah another 1912 Ghost! Good to see how the original fender met the running board

The Nizam's Napiers are chain driven. What other cars of the era had such a system?

By the way I successfully shifted all the cars to their permanent exhibit site in Chowmahalla Palace, with no damage done. I had an imported recovery truck come down from Bombay to help me with the shifting. Couldn't risk anything
Superb job DKG! Applaud your efforts at preserving what little is left. The cars (RR and Fiat) did look in deplorable condition previously.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 09:36   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post

Sounds like you've been busy moving some best quality fancy goods Those cars will need a major amount of work to do them justice.
Can't tell you what a relief it is to have succesfully shifted all eight cars and two bikes to the Chowmahalla Palace in old city with no damage.

I have made an earnest plea to the concerned people that these cars should be left as is as they are in a time warp and make an awesome exhibit. Any halfhearted attempt to make the cars "presentable" would ruin the exhibit. I also have told them that it would entail a serious amount of money to authentically restore them which I doubt they are in a position to spend considering the cars would remain always as a museum exhibit and the costs of restoration would make the exhibit unviable in terms of the revenue it would ever generate. Hope they agree.

One big challenge was to shift two of these ancient beauties sideways within their garage as a huge Michigan bulldozer blocked the garage doors. I managed to do that in 10 minutes with help of one other person and a "tool". Any guesses from the experts how that was done???

Last edited by DKG : 11th April 2008 at 09:48.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 11:50   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Travancore

Perhaps you can help.

I once met a gentleman, now nearing 80, who recalls seeing a V16 in Chennai at Marina. He told me he was shocked to see the massive engine. From what he said it was either Ramnad or some place in Kerala, a town starting with the letter K which had such a car?

Does anyone have any info? He said it was a Caddy. Didn't seem very clear with owner names though.

Could we perhaps document all the V16's? Where is Tikari located? We know of the Orccha and Bahawalpur cars. Any other info?
Old 11th April 2008, 13:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Can't tell you what a relief it is to have succesfully shifted all eight cars and two bikes to the Chowmahalla Palace in old city with no damage.

I have made an earnest plea to the concerned people that these cars should be left as is as they are in a time warp and make an awesome exhibit. Any halfhearted attempt to make the cars "presentable" would ruin the exhibit. I also have told them that it would entail a serious amount of money to authentically restore them which I doubt they are in a position to spend considering the cars would remain always as a museum exhibit and the costs of restoration would make the exhibit unviable in terms of the revenue it would ever generate. Hope they agree.

One big challenge was to shift two of these ancient beauties sideways within their garage as a huge Michigan bulldozer blocked the garage doors. I managed to do that in 10 minutes with help of one other person and a "tool". Any guesses from the experts how that was done???
Not an expert, but I've moved large cars sideways alone many times with a trolley jack, moving one end then the other a foot or two at a time
Old 11th April 2008, 13:46   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not an expert, but I've moved large cars sideways alone many times with a trolley jack, moving one end then the other a foot or two at a time
I knew you'd be the first with the answer. You'd be surprised how most people are totally confused about how this can be done!

PS: You obviously know your tools!!

Last edited by DKG : 11th April 2008 at 13:47.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:25   #67
BHPian

Default Historyman

Hi Julian - yes Eyam’s in the beautiful Peak District. I’ve just moved here after selling my house in Cyprus. Prior to that I lived in Saudi Arabia for many years (and many years earlier in “Ceylon”).

I note your Ford comments and the Canadian connection, 1926, etc. I recently came across a photo taken in India dated 1917 of a Ford Showroom (don’t know where yet).
historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 18:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyman View Post

I note your Ford comments and the Canadian connection, 1926, etc. I recently came across a photo taken in India dated 1917 of a Ford Showroom (don’t know where yet).
Picasa Web Albums - NILESH ? ????? - History of India

I uploaded the link in this thread but neither sources are at all definite and contradict each other. 22,000 Model T Fords coming to India sounds extremely unlikely. Perhaps if you contact Ford themselves? There is also Beaulieu Motor Museum Library at £20 a query
Old 11th April 2008, 20:08   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Travancore

Perhaps you can help.

I once met a gentleman, now nearing 80, who recalls seeing a V16 in Chennai at Marina. He told me he was shocked to see the massive engine. From what he said it was either Ramnad or some place in Kerala, a town starting with the letter K which had such a car?

Does anyone have any info? He said it was a Caddy. Didn't seem very clear with owner names though.

Could we perhaps document all the V16's? Where is Tikari located? We know of the Orccha and Bahawalpur cars. Any other info?
Travancore did have a Cadillac V8/12 - 1935 (in my opinion). I have a rather poor picture from the "Fast Track" magazine. It had the "creased" / pointed front fenders (mudguards).

The Travancore Palace in Chennai/Madras is situated in the Guindy area and from what I am told, visits to Madras (and the Marina) by the family were fairly common.

I have recently also come across a 1934 Lincoln KB, body by Dietrich owned by Travancore (V-12 again). It seems to be in California and was withdrawn from a Christie's Auction in 1999. No luck finding any pictures yet!

The "Tikari" Cadillac V-16 (from what I have read) was originally owned by Patiala.
Old 12th April 2008, 19:51   #70
BHPian

A few more early pictures:
Uncertain car and elephant 1921
CONTENTdm Collection : Item Viewer

An NSU Forecar 1905-1910
Name:  NSU forecar 19051910.JPG
Views: 7601
Size:  64.7 KB
Image from Car illustrated

One picture of Queen’s Road Mumbai:
Name:  Bombay Queens Road.JPG
Views: 13093
Size:  35.0 KB
Image from At The Edge: Lost Mumbai: Collage of Old Photographs

One more a friend sent me but doesn’t know where from. The venue looks familiar.
Name:  Cars.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  98.6 KB
Image source unknown
Old 12th April 2008, 20:30   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kolkata rally photo of a 1920s AC, I think it’s a 2 litre ohc six cylinder the Weller engine of which was in production up till 1963!

Flickr Photo Download: Menacing - still rearing to go!

I think it’s the same as this photo.

On a Kolkata Street in 1945 with one blackout headlight mask missing.

The Digital South Asia Library - Sports car
I noticed something strange. While it is quite likely that the car is the same just by looking at it, note the regn numbers - BLA magically became WBA. Like I said before, BLA would correspond to Bombay in the 80s. Strange.

Also the discs gave way to spokes. I wonder if it originally would have had spokes. I like the way each wheel is going in its own direction . Love that spotlight!
Attached Thumbnails
Miscellaneous other cars in India-ac01.jpg  

Attached Images

karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 20:58   #72
BHPian

It does look like the same car doesn't it, I bet they changed the wheels for tyre availability, (they remind me of Bullet tyres but the wheels aren't) and what a way to move a car to a different state ...cough... Wheel angles noted. Doubtless the spotlight will break the screen in due course. On the wall in the old photo it says "Invest in Kindness"

Last edited by Julian UK : 12th April 2008 at 21:02.
Old 12th April 2008, 21:54   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A few more early pictures:

One more a friend sent me but doesn’t know where from. The venue looks familiar.
Attachment 8162
Image source unknown
Looking at those huge chandeliers through the archways - got to be one of the "21 Gun Saluters" - Baroda or Nizam ????
Old 12th April 2008, 22:47   #74
BHPian

I believe the latter to be correct.
This has some glimpses of the largest bull dozer ever ordered by an individual and other vehicles.

This has some interesting snippets.
William Dalrymple on the rulers of Hyderabad | Weekend | guardian.co.uk

Last edited by Julian UK : 12th April 2008 at 22:53.
Old 13th April 2008, 14:24   #75
BHPian

Of interest to American car enthusiasts?

Photographs of General Motors and Chrysler car and truck models, 1902 - 1938.
NYPL Digital Gallery | Results=

Manufacturers' Catalogs from the First Decade of American AutomobilesNYPL Digital Gallery |