Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:54   #121
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,561 Times
Default

Its a shame if the new owner intends to repaint that good an original finish...a crying shame! If I remember right Vijay Mallya had an ex-Travancore (the state, not the BHPian) 30s Studebaker, in original but somewhat worn blue and black paint. MAS regd.

I recognise these pictures Nigel had posted earlier. Was it the Guess the car thread?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:22   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,852
Thanked: 3,718 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its a shame if the new owner intends to repaint that good an original finish...a crying shame! If I remember right Vijay Mallya had an ex-Travancore (the state, not the BHPian) 30s Studebaker, in original but somewhat worn blue and black paint. MAS regd.
That is a cool piece of info Karlos!!! Could someone post pictures of the Mallya Studebaker ???

The BHPian Travancore had a 1944-45 Studebaker in the family too!
travancore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:34   #123
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,561 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
That is a cool piece of info Karlos!!! Could someone post pictures of the Mallya Studebaker ???

The BHPian Travancore had a 1944-45 Studebaker in the family too!
My aunt too had a 40s Studebaker. BMZ 3854 if Im correct. Let me dig out some pics.

Im afraid I dont have any pics. I think I had seen it in a magazine featuring the Mallya collection. Possibly BSM. I remember the photo clearly, with those trademark "tall" headlights, and a couple of patches on the bonnet where the paint had peeled off. The regn number was close to his Pierce Arrow (MAS 8280), so that was possibly MAS 8820 or 8208 or thereabouts.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 20:42   #124
BHPian
 
Shreeram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 379
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While on the subject of the Gandhi movie, did you see this Renault featured? The owner tells me it was part of the movie. I think it was a BYF regn. Excuse the picture quality, its all I could manage
Here are a couple of good old pic's of the Renault. Taken on one of the "Trips" by my father.

Miscellaneous other cars in India-renault-1.jpg
Miscellaneous other cars in India-renault-3.jpg

Last edited by Shreeram : 3rd May 2008 at 20:43.
Shreeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:55   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 493
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Some pictures of the Studebaker and the Hupmobile. Both cars seem very original in the pictures and have been in single family ownership having long outlived their original owners!!
is that mohsin akram in the hupmobile?
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:59   #126
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,561 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
is that mohsin akram in the hupmobile?
Id say it is, certainly looks like him doesnt it?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 02:58   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 700
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
the red car is a 1918 ish (claimed 1915) Chevrolet that belonged to Mr Narendra Nath of Premnath Motors, and the location is the Roshan ara Club, of which my Great Grandfather was a founder member, they wanted our studebaker too for the movie because it has actually been used by Gandhiji, but my brother insisted on driving it himself, so....
I remember Roshnara Road and the radiator repairers.
So Premnath motors owned these two cars:
The 1918ish Chevrolet
and also the 1902ish Flat twin Oldsmobile
Miscellaneous other cars in India-scan0008.jpg
What else did they have?
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 09:31   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 493
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I remember Roshnara Road and the radiator repairers.
So Premnath motors owned these two cars:
The 1918ish Chevrolet
and also the 1902ish Flat twin Oldsmobile
Attachment 12885
What else did they have?
its unfortunate what happened to Roshan Ara Road, it was originally a wide road with colonial bunglows on both sides, developed in the 1860s, i guess its the vast space available there is what attracted the truckers to it...
yes the olds too belonged to Prem Nath Motors, it too is a later car and not 1902 or 1 as claimed, i would think its closer to 1906. they had just these two cars, which i believe were sold recently, i was told they are now in the same collection as the 1906 rover, but you would know better.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 14:49   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 700
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

I think its one of these, the ad is 1905, the fore and aft flat twin engine was underneath with a side hand crank (it was a huge flat twin so maybe the 20hp model), but with a steering wheel (but the steering wheel angle looks different maybe some jiggery pokkery has been going on).
Name:  1905 Oldsmobile add_jpg.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  77.8 KB

I'm a bit out of touch with that collection but if they were bought recently it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by Julian UK : 4th May 2008 at 14:54.
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 15:19   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi and Karachi
Posts: 124
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Yes, that's Mohsin Ikram, but isnt the green one the Studebaker?
Alvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 15:26   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 493
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I think its one of these, the ad is 1905, the fore and aft flat twin engine was underneath with a side hand crank (it was a huge flat twin so maybe the 20hp model), but with a steering wheel (but the steering wheel angle looks different maybe some jiggery pokkery has been going on).
Attachment 12968

I'm a bit out of touch with that collection but if they were bought recently it wouldn't surprise me.
looks the same, iremember that the delhi car had massive leaf springs which doubled as the sides of the chassis, and the steering column is adjustible, so that could explain the steering angle, and it's chain drive,& the fluid tanks are under the bonnet. i never saw the people at PNM start it by cranking it by hand, nobody had the courage to do so,, they would always push start it.

Last edited by awini : 4th May 2008 at 15:30.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 16:25   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 700
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

And once started it sounded very wild and clattery, I think it needed alot of work. It was quite a beast! It never ran the rally when I saw it but still got the oldest car trophy. Once we started running the Rover in the rally in 1988 I never saw the Olds again. I think I took that photo in 1987. If only I had been more into photography all those years. I'm like a snap 6 and 1 will come out person. Had an Olympus which used to eat dust, I'd snap away and then find the whole reel blank.
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 20:50   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 493
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
And once started it sounded very wild and clattery, I think it needed alot of work. It was quite a beast! It never ran the rally when I saw it but still got the oldest car trophy. Once we started running the Rover in the rally in 1988 I never saw the Olds again. I think I took that photo in 1987. If only I had been more into photography all those years. I'm like a snap 6 and 1 will come out person. Had an Olympus which used to eat dust, I'd snap away and then find the whole reel blank.
and dont forget the smoke!! actually the reason it stopped coming was Mr Narendra Nath's death around that time, he was the one who took interest in these cars. i last saw the olds in 1992,parked in a corner, when our studebaker was being worked on at their workshop.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 02:10   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 700
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
and dont forget the smoke!! actually the reason it stopped coming was Mr Narendra Nath's death around that time, he was the one who took interest in these cars. i last saw the olds in 1992,parked in a corner, when our studebaker was being worked on at their workshop.
A little ad from Prem Nath Motors:
Name:  Prem Nath Motors.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  13.5 KB
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 19:29   #135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 700
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

I realise this is not a car but it is of vehicular interest. It is a Singer Challenge No.1 tricycle. 1880ish and was in Panna M.P. now safe in Delhi. Its track rod and links are missing. The owner is an old friend and has given permission to share the photographs.
Miscellaneous other cars in India-singer-1.jpg
Name:  Singer 2.JPG
Views: 1512
Size:  120.6 KB
Name:  Singer 3.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  Singer 4.JPG
Views: 1133
Size:  76.5 KB


Here is one in a Dublin museum with a different seat. The missing parts are visible.
Name:  Singer Dublin 5.JPG
Views: 1106
Size:  57.0 KB
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miscellaneous cars in Delhi Julian UK Pre-War 46 20th April 2008 23:51
Volkswagen to bring Passat, Golf and other cars in India navdeep The Indian Car Scene 34 22nd October 2007 19:48
Do i have any other choice other than Indica turbo diesel ?? tanishq Hatchbacks 35 11th June 2006 17:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks