Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th September 2009, 09:50   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I vaguely remember reading about one FHC in Bombay. Perhaps Harit can confirm
A senior used to tell me about a FHC 140 he had in Bombay, apparently it still survives but in a bad state. I had seen a period picture of the car when he would race it, very long ago though.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:52   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
My last list is like this on XKs which of these are 120s/150s/140s not sure but will do it over the weekend.
1)Imperial palace
2)Jaipur - royal family
3) Vikram Singh - ex ramesh thackar car
4) Calcutta - Ghosh - I have just updated the engine number and chassis number- Its the ex Bihar pastel blue car.
5)Rajiv Kher - ex Bombay car - katrak
6) Dr Ravi Prakash
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120
11) Delhi - metallic - Gorakhpur state car
12) South - one more car -
13) Pataudi - now delhi - xk 120
14) Bombay - xk 140 coupe - beyond restoration today

That's what I have - surely missing two cars as I knew of 16
Referring to this list, there are indeed 2 more XK's, the one in Ahmedabad and the second Gondal car.
A few XK's were killed off in racing, an oldtimer once told me of how they raced these near and around Calcutta and some XK's have perished over there. Some actress of yesteryears in Bengal had an XK, Calcutta guys please do some research.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 12:42   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Referring to this list, there are indeed 2 more XK's, the one in Ahmedabad and the second Gondal car.
A few XK's were killed off in racing, an oldtimer once told me of how they raced these near and around Calcutta and some XK's have perished over there. Some actress of yesteryears in Bengal had an XK, Calcutta guys please do some research.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
My last list is like this on XKs which of these are 120s/150s/140s not sure but will do it over the weekend.
1)Imperial palace
2)Jaipur - royal family
4) Calcutta - Ghosh - I have just updated the engine number and chassis number- Its the ex Bihar pastel blue car.
6) Dr Ravi Prakash
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120

That's what I have - surely missing two cars as I knew of 16

1)Imperial palace
2)Jaipur - royal family
6) Dr Ravi Prakash
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120
15)Gondal 2nd car
16)Ahmedabad XK
17)ex pataudi xk 140 which is in calcutta restored by us.

So it think that makes the count 17 till now.

Can we see some pics of the xk 140 coupe which believed to be beyond rstoration?

I am uploadinjg pics of the ex pataudis car which has already been uploaded by john when it was restored i will be uploading pics of before and during restoration pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk201402020201.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk2014020202.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk20140203.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk2014020204.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk201402020205.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 12th September 2009 at 12:44.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 18:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
1)Imperial palace
2)Jaipur - royal family
6) Dr Ravi Prakash
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120
15)Gondal 2nd car
16)Ahmedabad XK
17)ex pataudi xk 140 which is in calcutta restored by us.

I think we made a mistake number 9 and number 10 are they two cars or has it been put up twice by mistake?
Old 13th September 2009, 19:10   #140
Senior - BHPian

What is that reference to Imperial Palace in the number one spot. Is this the one in Vegas. I thought this was a list of such cars in India.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 21:07   #141
Senior - BHPian

I used the previous data which was provided earlier and just added the last three cars their to get the total figure.I think the person who compiled this would have a better idea on it.I was wanting to see the pics of the XK which is said to be beyond restoration lying in bombay.

P.S.
Old 16th September 2009, 18:36   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think we made a mistake number 9 and number 10 are they two cars or has it been put up twice by mistake?
No, there are indeed two Sanghi XK's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What is that reference to Imperial Palace in the number one spot. Is this the one in Vegas. I thought this was a list of such cars in India.
The Imperial is a heritage hotel in Delhi, a very fine hotel. That family has an XK.

The Mumbai XK140 coupe belonged to a Maharaja who kept that car with two or three yellow beetles at Kemps Corner in Mumbai. It was dark blue. Then it went to a Parsi gentleman who used it regularly. One day I saw the car redone in green with another royal person. He gave it to a mechanic to whom I had also given a car. The mechanic could not pay the rent and fled. I got help and removed my vehicle after making some payment. But the Jag was left behind, lying in the rains and rotting away. Trims were lost. Now it is lying with another person, doubtful if she can ever come on the road again.

Last edited by harit : 16th September 2009 at 18:38.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Mumbai XK140 coupe belonged to a Maharaja who kept that car with two or three yellow beetles at Kemps Corner in Mumbai. It was dark blue. Then it went to a Parsi gentleman who used it regularly. One day I saw the car redone in green with another royal person. He gave it to a mechanic to whom I had also given a car. The mechanic could not pay the rent and fled. I got help and removed my vehicle after making some payment. But the Jag was left behind, lying in the rains and rotting away. Trims were lost. Now it is lying with another person, doubtful if she can ever come on the road again.
Harit if you could please PM me if you know who the owner is i would like to contact him and do something about this car.If you have some old photographs also that would be great.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:08   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Harit if you could please PM me if you know who the owner is i would like to contact him and do something about this car.If you have some old photographs also that would be great.
I will search for old photos, not sure if I will find any. I do not remember seeing this car at any rally, but I may be mistaken.
This is one car which has fallen into unfortunate circumstances. Ownership is not clear, it is a risky project. ALL Mumbaikars know of this car, and believe me there are quite a few who have the means to aquire it. But when there are so many uncertainities and important parts missing, better to stay away. Why not do your Hawk and live a peaceful life knowing that you own the car and there will be no claimants?

Cheers harit
Old 18th September 2009, 15:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will search for old photos, not sure if I will find any. I do not remember seeing this car at any rally, but I may be mistaken.
This is one car which has fallen into unfortunate circumstances. Ownership is not clear, it is a risky project. ALL Mumbaikars know of this car, and believe me there are quite a few who have the means to aquire it. But when there are so many uncertainities and important parts missing, better to stay away. Why not do your Hawk and live a peaceful life knowing that you own the car and there will be no claimants?

Cheers harit

Well wouldn't mind picking it up and getting parts is not such a problem for me.Have got the parts for the hawk and am doing the formalities to get them out from the customs.I am happy with thw hawk but when i heard about a jag which is beyod restoration i was wondering what actually happend and wanted to see the pics and mayb try and work something out.
Old 19th September 2009, 09:46   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well wouldn't mind picking it up and getting parts is not such a problem for me. Have got the parts for the hawk and am doing the formalities to get them out from the customs. I am happy with the hawk but when i heard about a jag which is beyod restoration i was wondering what actually happend and wanted to see the pics and maybe try and work something out.
Dear Indrojit,

Sorry, I think that you did not get the drift. Parts are not anyones problem. I am repeating my post below with certain parts in bold for clear understanding.

Quote:

Cheers harit
Got the drift?

Cheers harit
Old 19th September 2009, 13:06   #147
Senior - BHPian

Since the car being discussed below looks like it is well known in the Mumbai circles would it be possible for someone to post pictures of it just to see what it actually looks like ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 17:05   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Indrojit,

Sorry, I think that you did not get the drift. Parts are not anyones problem. I am repeating my post below with certain parts in bold for clear understanding.

Got the drift?

Cheers harit
Ya i did thankx for highlighting your previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Since the car being discussed below looks like it is well known in the Mumbai circles would it be possible for someone to post pictures of it just to see what it actually looks like ?

Yes even i feel the same thing if this car is well known in the mumbai circles and to quite a few Tbhp members why not see the pics?If it is not much of a problem.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:40   #149
BHPian

Permit me to throw some light on some XKs. The red car owned by Doc in Bangalore is an XK140 Drophead coupe. He picked it up from the late Ravikumar's wife after the latter had passed away. Ravikumar also owned another XK 120 roadster, which, he told me, was once owned by the famous film actor, Mehmood. This car was sold or part exchanged to Sharad Sanghi in Indore. It was a non runner when I had seen it, more than 20 years back and was coloured black then.
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 12:43   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Permit me to throw some light on some XKs. The red car owned by Doc in Bangalore is an XK140 Drophead coupe. He picked it up from the late Ravikumar's wife after the latter had passed away. Ravikumar also owned another XK 120 roadster, which, he told me, was once owned by the famous film actor, Mehmood. This car was sold or part exchanged to Sharad Sanghi in Indore. It was a non runner when I had seen it, more than 20 years back and was coloured black then.
Hi, can you tell us something about the XK 140 before Ravi Kumar had her?
Sanghi has gone through one more XK, the 120 being currently restored in Mumbai.
In the list we have a XK "in the south". This info is too vague to be considerd. If there is such a car, we neet not disclose location, but at least give some details.
Regarding the 140 coupe in Mumbai, we should bear in mind that today it is in someone custody, we should not just intrude and take pictures for posting on this forum. So many people know the guy, someone has to go and ask.

Cheers harit