Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 20th September 2009, 13:08   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Regarding the 140 coupe in Mumbai, we should bear in mind that today it is in someone custody, we should not just intrude and take pictures for posting on this forum. So many people know the guy, someone has to go and ask.

Cheers harit
Agreed to that harit.But as i am asking you again could you please PM the details of the person who has the car now ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 15:24   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Agreed to that harit.But as i am asking you again could you please PM the details of the person who has the car now ?

PM sent. Still, it is a no no. Ask any Mumbai friend/contact who is aware.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 21:59   #153
BHPian

Default XK in Coimbatore

I have seen a XK120(green colour) being restored in a garage in Coimbatore a few years ago. Was told that it belonged to one of the mill owners.The same family had a 53' Mark VII, if I'm correct this was Mr.John Webbs car, was sold to a collector in Cochin, then to Hyderabad and now I'm told it is in Jaipur.
Cheers,
SG
sunilgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 22:32   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
I have seen a XK120(green colour) being restored in a garage in Coimbatore a few years ago. Was told that it belonged to one of the mill owners.The same family had a 53' Mark VII, if I'm correct this was Mr.John Webbs car, was sold to a collector in Cochin, then to Hyderabad and now I'm told it is in Jaipur.
Cheers,
SG
Hi, just for my understanding. What is now in the Jaipur, the Mark VII as I understood or the XK? Any pics by chance?

Cheers harit
Old 21st September 2009, 10:46   #155
BHPian

Quote:
can you tell us something about the XK 140 before Ravi Kumar had her?
Ravikumar's XK 140 came from Kolkata sometime in the late eighties. It was a runner, though tatty, and was regularly used by Ravi to travel from his residence to his office. Ravi decided to lay her up for a restoration sometime in 1988, which was when I met him. The car was painted red ( I think it was blue before that) and some work took place on the mechanicals. However, it never ran from then on till he passed away and was resurrected by Doc after he picked it up.
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 11:28   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Ravikumar's XK 140 came from Kolkata sometime in the late eighties. It was a runner, though tatty, and was regularly used by Ravi to travel from his residence to his office. Ravi decided to lay her up for a restoration sometime in 1988, which was when I met him. The car was painted red ( I think it was blue before that) and some work took place on the mechanicals. However, it never ran from then on till he passed away and was resurrected by Doc after he picked it up.
Very interesting. We find that a lot of XK's were at some time in Calcutta, many took part in motor sporting activities (in short, they were well used and sometimes thrashed).

Cheers harit
Old 21st September 2009, 15:10   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PM sent. Still, it is a no no. Ask any Mumbai friend/contact who is aware.

Cheers harit

Would go with your suggestion but still wouldn't mind seing some pics if anybody could ask the owner and take pics.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:38   #158
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very interesting. We find that a lot of XK's were at some time in Calcutta, many took part in motor sporting activities (in short, they were well used and sometimes thrashed).

Cheers harit
For quite sometime now I've been wanting to see early motorsports in India documented in a separate thread. Since much of it was held in Calcutta could we urge friends from that part to start a thread and showcase interesting events/incidents/people who thronged/participated in those races

There was some activity in and around Bombay too I gather
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 17:02   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
For quite sometime now I've been wanting to see early motorsports in India documented in a separate thread. Since much of it was held in Calcutta could we urge friends from that part to start a thread and showcase interesting events/incidents/people who thronged/participated in those races

There was some activity in and around Bombay too I gather
Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...re-1965-a.html (Indian Motor Sport pre 1965)
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 17:15   #160
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Now that you point it out I do remember seeing this but someone needs to revive it and try and complete the documentation. Thanks Karlos
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:09   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about XK's in India, we Mumbaikars have forgotton Nazir Husseins car. And the mention of car in south is too vague. So a slight modification to this list:

1)Imperial palace (the blue car in the 1st pages)
2)Jaipur - royal family
3) Vikram Singh - ex ramesh thackar car, ex-Aundh
4) Calcutta - Ghosh - I have just updated the engine number and chassis number- Its the ex Bihar pastel blue car. 9Agarwalla)
5)Rajiv Kher - ex Bombay car - katrak(?) it was 'Jamas'
6) Dr Ravi Prakash ex Ravi Kumar
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120 ex Sanghi
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120
11) Delhi - metallic - Gorakhpur state car
12) Nazir Hussein
13) Pataudi - now delhi - xk 120
14) Bombay - xk 140 coupe - beyond restoration today
15)Gondal 2nd car
16)Ahmedabad XK
17)ex pataudi xk 140 which is in calcutta restored by us.

Are we sure that Pataudi had two XK's, a 120 and a 140?

Cheers harit
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:31   #162
Senior - BHPian

The blue book states the original owner as the nawab of pataudi.The car was then bought by someone in delhi and then was brought to calcutta.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd September 2009 at 14:59. Reason: Please avoid entire long quotes in your replies. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:09   #163
BHPian

Default The Blue Book ??

Can I ask what the "Blue Book" is ?
regards terry
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The blue book states the original owner as the nawab of pataudi.The car was then bought by someone in delhi and then was brought to calcutta.
terry mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 20:23   #164
BHPian

Default XK120 roadster in Mumbai

just recently (August 2009) a couple of restorers from Mumbai purchased a large amount of bits and pieces in England to assist in the restoration of a 1952 XK120 roadster
The car was described as having been sold new in India and having been to a couple of different restorers and missing all the chrome.
The same restorers were seen at Beaulieu and purchased a number of other items possibly for an MG.
Can anyone shed any light on who they are and the name of their restoration business and the history of the car
regards terry
terry mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 22:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
Can I ask what the "Blue Book" is ?
regards terry
Australia

A Blue book is the REgistration book which we used to have in the olden days.It was blue in colour so commonly known as the blue book.Now a days we have Registration Certificates which is a sheet of paper only.