Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 5th February 2012, 07:53   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India

this thread seems to have died surely there must be some new updated info on XK120's-150's in India. Cars under restoration new cars found or changed hands.
Love to hear whats happening
terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
How would someone like to do an update on all the XK's in India as to where they are up to these days
regards terry

Now Available and almost half of the limited edition sold

The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogy.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335mm x 247mm (13"x 10"), full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Sample Pages at [COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/[/COLOR]
Visit: [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]www.jtpublications.com.au[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] for full details
terry mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 11:44   #212
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India

Would love to get a copy of this book. Thanks for sharing the info
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 01:44   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I wonder how many times the same list has to corrected and commented on for old mistakes. We should only add new. Since I do not really know everything, I am putting the list below on what I am certain about, others please add.

1)XK 120 Alloy body Imperial palace
2) XK 120 Jaipur - royal family
3) XK 120, Vikram Singh - ex ramesh thackar car, before that Aundh royal family.
4) XK 120 Agarwal Dhanbad restored by Ghosh
5) XK 120 Rajiv Kher - ex Bombay car - Jamas
6) XK 140 Dr Ravi Prakash - Red colour ex Ravi Kumar
7) XK 150 Gondal
8) XK 120 Vohra - Bombay - older CPF number ex Sanghi
9) Sanghi - XK120
10) Sanghi - XK120 - ex Vohra car
11) South - one more car - has been listed by Indrojit MSL number
12) Pataudi - now delhi - XK 120
13) Bombay - XK 140 coupe - beyond restoration today, ex Jamnagar, ex Pratabgarh
14) Gondal XK 150
15) N Hussain XK 120
16) XK 140 Ahmedabad

These we are sure of.
Taken out listed cars below, seeking more details, what is mentioned is too vague. There could be duplication. Bhinga car is not mentioned, maybe it is one of the above? I know for sure that one car went from Ravi Kumar to Sanghi, but which one? And Gondal had only two.
If someone can check the lists made before and compare, it will be nice.

11) Delhi - Metallic Blue - Gorakhpur state car
15) Bhavnagar - Blue
17) Gondal Xk 150
Missing two Cars.

Cheers harit

Some recent pics of car number 16 from the above list which has been recently restored by fellow bhp member Daman Thakore. Some pics that he has posted earlier and some pics from the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140front.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140back.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-img_7550.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-dsc06086.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 18:07   #214

Hi Terry - I've just seen your post and have some information that may assist.

My father was the James Braid who was the first owner of the XK120 chassis number 660361. He lived in Calcutta but ordered the car through Jaguar's Indian agents Pearey Lal & Sons using the British Overseas Visitors Scheme, and so had to have it delivered first to his parents house in Aberlemno Terrace, Dundee, Scotland prior to importing it into India. He ordered it in August 1950 for delivery ex factory mid November 1950. The order confirmation from Pearey Lal shows that it was an X120 Sports in Pastel Blue with Blue upholstery.

It was registered WBD 2673 in Calcutta, where he raced it successfully at Alipore for a couple of years. I have quite a few pictures of the car racing and also in road trim.

In August 1954 he ordered an XK120 'C' for competition work in India, with requested delivery early 1955, but Jaguar Cars Ltd advised that the 1st batch had been sold and they hadn't decided whether they would produce another batch as they were working on a new model for competition. He seems to have changed the order then to an XK140 Sports with Special Equipment and 'C'type head but without fog lamps. Extras included Racing screen & Cowling (£15-0-0). The colour was Grey, with red interior upholstery and red wire wheels to match. It was delivered ex UK works in April 1955, again through Pearey Lal, but although I have a photograph of my father with the car in Scotland (registration seems to be N(?)RW 759) I have no recollection of it being in Calcutta, so I wonder if he sold it elsewhere in India immediately upon importation, or possibly even Pearey Lal had a buyer. My father had in October 1954 imported and was racing an Allard J2 in Calcutta so would probably not have required this Jaguar at that time.

Hope this helps a little,

Ron
dbv333 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 18:41   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbv333 View Post
Hi Terry - I've just seen your post and have some information that may assist.

My father was the James Braid .....
He seems to have changed the order then to an XK140 Sports ...
My father had in October 1954 imported and was racing an Allard J2 .....Ron
Hello Ron, welcome to the forum. We will all be pleased if you post some pictures.

Can you obtain the serial number of this XK 140? The car may survive, I know of one ex-Calcutta.
Regarding the Allard, I have a picture of the car in action with commentry written on the back. I'll look at it tomorrow. Do you know where the Allard ended up?
If you have pictures of the racing era of Calcutta and its surroundings, you may have a picture of a Lancia racer which is now with me, a modern picture attached for reference. Shall be highly obliged if you can check that.

Cheers, and keenly awaiting your next post with interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-lancia-racer-14.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 13th July 2012 at 18:43.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 13:09   #216
BHPian

Dear Ron
Thank you so much for your really helpful post re the XK120 and XK140 owned by your father from new. The XK120 660361 was last heard of by me and Terry McGrath (co-authors of the Jaguar XK120 in the Southern Hemisphere, which, despite the name, includes India and all of Asia! The Jaguar XK120 in the Southern Hemisphere - JT Publications) in 2008 as being in the hands of Sanjay Ghosh in india (also mentioned: Rajiv (Billy)Ghosh). So it survives!
The XK140 was a roadster chassis no 800020 and your father's name was not correctly spelt in factory records, so that is helpful. I can confirm that the registration plate was NRW759 (done in Coventry by the factory) and that the car apparently never left the UK - despite being ordered through Pearey Lal - which is corroborated by your recollection that you do not remember the car ever being in Calcutta. The original registration remains with the car through to today, and the car was last heard of by me as being in Wales. This car will be in our forthcoming book (give us a couple of more years!) The XK140 in the Southern Hemisphere - due to the Pearey Lal connection.
Would love to see photos of both cars and copies of any documents you have for them as we may be able to publish them. You can contact me direct at mail [at] jtpublications.com.au.
Regards, John Elmgreen
John Elmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 13:29   #217
BHPian

Quote: "Some recent pics of car number 16 from the above list which has been recently restored by fellow bhp member Daman Thakore. Some pics that he has posted earlier and some pics from the event."
Thanks so much for the photographs. This car is XK140 DHC 807298 which I understood to be owned by Suhas Mehta of Gujrat. Is he still the owner and did Daman Thakore restore the car for him? Or is Daman Thakore now the owner? If so, when did he acquire it? When was it restored? Love to know more! I will post a list of known XK140s in India in the future in case anyone can help us with more information. Regards, John Elmgreen
Old 14th July 2012, 17:43   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
Quote: "Some recent pics of car number 16 from the above list which has been recently restored by fellow bhp member Daman Thakore. Some pics that he has posted earlier and some pics from the event."
Thanks so much for the photographs. This car is XK140 DHC 807298 which I understood to be owned by Suhas Mehta of Gujrat. Is he still the owner and did Daman Thakore restore the car for him? Or is Daman Thakore now the owner? If so, when did he acquire it? When was it restored? Love to know more! I will post a list of known XK140s in India in the future in case anyone can help us with more information. Regards, John Elmgreen
Hi! Recently Ahmedabad hosted a vintage car rally organised by the newly formed Gujrat Vintage and Classic Car Club. A XK 140 took part, this was the owner as per the participants list, and pictures of the car are below, taken from another thread on this forum. Hope some questions have been answered.
Surely the year is wrong, maybe 1954.

Cheers harit

SAURABH BIPIN MEHTA, JAGUAR XK140, 4 CYL, 1945, CONVERTIBLE
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140a.jpg  

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140b.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2012 at 17:46.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:45   #219
BHPian

"SAURABH BIPIN MEHTA, JAGUAR XK140, 4 CYL, 1945, CONVERTIBLE" - Thanks, Harit. The car is actually a 1955 production - and 6 cylinders not 4 cylinders! Great to see it on the road. Do you know anything of its earlier history? Regards, John Elmgreen
Old 15th July 2012, 12:41   #220
BHPian

Here is my sunmmary of XK140s in India.
All corrections, additions and updates gratefully received!

XK140 roadster rhd (800020) – ordered new by James Braid through Pearey Lal in Calcutta, and delivered to him directly from the works in Coventry. It is understood this car never came to India and it is today in the UK.

XK140 Coupe rhd (804068) – sold new to the Maharaja of Bahawalpur, to be painted and trimmed after delivery, so those colours are not known – except by a later report that it was painted in “aquamarine blue”. However, it seems possible that the car never actually went to India. Apparently remained in his ownership until about 1969 when it was sold. Last heard of as owned in Germany.

XK140 Coupe rhd (804100) – ordered through Garware, Bombay. Delivered direct from the factory registered in Coventry NRW991. Black car. Not known who the first owner was or whether the car was ever brought to India.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807039) – ordered through French Motor Car Co, Calcutta and delivered from the factory in Coventry directly to Mr D.A. Rostrun. Originally a Black car. Nothing further known.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807242) – ordered through Garware, Bombay but registered in the UK from new NWK821. Not known if it ever left the UK. Originally a Pearl Grey car.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807298) – Owned by Mr Mehta and seen at a recent rally (April 2012). Originally Maroon and still that colour. Recent posts on this forum about this car.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807393) – sold new through the London dealer, originall Maroon colour. In 1995 it was being restored in Bangalore, although it had been running. It was to be repainted in red. This may be the car now owned by collector Dr Ravi Prakash and formerly owned by C. Ravi Kumar of Bangalore. May be registered WBB9668.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807479) – Cream car when new, sold new to the Nawab of Bhopal, and delivered new to him from the factory in Coventry. I am not clear about the history of this car, so all clarification would be appreciated. Thereafter apparently owned by the Nawab’s younger daughter whose son was Pataudi and used the car. At some time it suffered an accident in Mumbai when the brakes failed coming down from Hanging Garden to Kemp’s Corner, the car ending at rest against a lamp post (information from Karlosdeville). I was also told on this forum that this was the car registered DIC9829 which was seen in Calcutta in 2004, owned by Mr.Shomnath Roychoudhry. But there is also a similar car, owned by Dr Ravi Prakash of Banglaore in 2008 and on display at the Cartier concours in Mumbai that year.

I also have some scraps of information that I cannot reliably attribute to any of the particular cars above. I may post these “scraps” also in due course.
Regards, John Elmgreen
John Elmgreen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:31   #221
BHPian

Quote:
XK140 Convertible rhd
This is the other X140 you might be keen to know its early owners. Currently in the Sanghi collection in Indore.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-xk140.jpg  

67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:50   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
This is the other X140 you might be keen to know its early owners. Currently in the Sanghi collection in Indore.
Thank you for the photograph of this car, which I think I have not seen before. The car is actually an XK120 roadster (rather than a 140) and I think its chassis number is 660852. Former owners known to me are Mehmood, Kumar, Manvendra Singh, and now Sharad Sanghi as you say.
Who took the photograph and when and where was it taken?
Regards, John Elmgreen
Old 15th July 2012, 19:17   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hey guys I found this picture of a LHD Xk 120 DHC on someone's profile on a social networking site and it said that it is under restoration at auto zone.I think this auto zone place is in kerala as the person from whom i took this picture is also based in kerala. Can anyone shed some light on this car as in current where abouts and the owner etc etc.
There were just three lhd XK120 roadsters (this car is not a DHC) ordered new from India and each of them was delivered from the factory to the owner in Coventry, UK. Sometimes such cars did not ever make it to India. 670595 was originally Cream and ordered by Captain Thomas from Pearey Lal, New Delhi. 672830 was originally Silver and ordered from Madras by J.Elliott. 673400 was a Special Equipment car, Lavender Grey, ordered through Calcutta, first owner's name not known. Would love to know more about the black car in the picture! Regards, John Elmgreen
Old 15th July 2012, 20:34   #224
BHPian

has anyone of you seen or heard of the british racing green xk 140 in mt. abu. its in pristine condition and ive heard that it was painstakingly restored to its original condition. happened to see it early last year in abu . though it is not used too often, its one of the best examples ive ever seen. its a lhd and the paint and chrome is in the best of condition. it is owned by a maharaja (better to not get names out) and it is cleaned and polished regularly
khalil_khan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 16:17   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... Do you know anything of its earlier history? Regards, John Elmgreen
I was under the impression that this car came in as a used car, will ask around.

Quote:
Here is my sunmmary of XK140s in India.
All corrections, additions and updates gratefully received!

XK140 Coupe rhd (804100) – ordered through Garware, Bombay. Delivered direct from the factory registered in Coventry NRW991. Black car. Not known who the first owner was or whether the car was ever brought to India.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807393) – sold new through the London dealer, originall Maroon colour. In 1995 it was being restored in Bangalore, although it had been running. It was to be repainted in red. This may be the car now owned by collector Dr Ravi Prakash and formerly owned by C. Ravi Kumar of Bangalore. May be registered WBB9668.

XK140 Convertible rhd (807479) – Cream car when new, sold new to the Nawab of Bhopal, and delivered new to him from the factory in Coventry. I am not clear about the history of this car, so all clarification would be appreciated. Thereafter apparently owned by the Nawab’s younger daughter whose son was Pataudi and used the car. At some time it suffered an accident in Mumbai when the brakes failed coming down from Hanging Garden to Kemp’s Corner, the car ending at rest against a lamp post (information from Karlosdeville). I was also told on this forum that this was the car registered DIC9829 which was seen in Calcutta in 2004, owned by Mr.Shomnath Roychoudhry. But there is also a similar car, owned by Dr Ravi Prakash of Banglaore in 2008 and on display at the Cartier concours in Mumbai that year. Regards, John Elmgreen
There is an XK140 FHC which belonged to a Maharaja, maybe Jamnagar and then Pratabgarh. It was dark blue, then green, now junk, BML registered.

140 Convertible with Dr. Prakash came from Ravi Kumar, car is red in colour and came for Cartier. There is only one XK with him.

I had myself seen Pataudi's car against the lamp post, that time the car was white in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
As per my knowledge, Sanghi may have 3 XK's including that 120 with a 140 grill.

As far as I have been told, Garware was the agent for Jaguar but could import cars only for expats or special eligible persons. Government of India had already started strangulating supply of good cars.

Waiting for some feedback from dbv333.

Cheers harit