Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 20th March 2009, 11:20   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Do not think the bhinga car is in Jaipur, the registration no of the Bhinga Car was WBD 933.
The VS car came from the hakkar collection in Pune, before that she was from a nearby state. Certainly not Bhinga.
Cheers.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:49   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The VS car came from the hakkar collection in Pune, before that she was from a nearby state. Certainly not Bhinga.
Cheers.
Yes, the Vikram Singh car, Silver, is identified as chassis 660728 but I do not know where it came from before Hakkar.
I would like to known the identify of the Bhingar car regd WBD933.
Regards, John Elmgreen
John Elmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:44   #123
BHPian

John,

I had hoped to get to see the SS-1 in the Mitel Collection that they had purchased quite a few years ago from Shashi Kanoria who had restored it to photograph it and try and get the engine and chassis numbers as I understand the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust do not have any early SS-1 tourers in their registry.

As I am leaving shortly I might not be able to do this and you being the "Jaguar Man" for India would suggest you contact Rajiv Ghosh who seems to know more about what's going on in Calcutta to check it out. His email is - rajivautocentre@yahoo.co.in.

Really appreciate ll the work you are doing in India on behalf of the Jaguar lovers.

John
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 20:38   #124
BHPian

just out of curiosity, how much would an old vintage car like the XK140 below showed by daman cost? and what would it cost to restore fully, in perfect as-good-as-new kind of condition? I am somehow suddenly fascinated by these cars. would even love to have a late 60's or early 70's American muscle car. just like the ones fully done up in that show "Overhauling" by chip foose on Travel and Living Channel.
Please can someone throw some light on this?
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 00:23   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
just out of curiosity, how much would an old vintage car like the XK140 below showed by daman cost? and what would it cost to restore fully, in perfect as-good-as-new kind of condition? I am somehow suddenly fascinated by these cars. would even love to have a late 60's or early 70's American muscle car. just like the ones fully done up in that show "Overhauling" by chip foose on Travel and Living Channel.
Please can someone throw some light on this?
Such a difficult question. There is really no fixed price or even a guide line. Unfortunately in India there is no stock of such cars. So it is between the buyer and te seller. I have seen XK Jags starting Rs 7000/- with overheating problems before 1980 o cars restored and almost perfect above 50L. So take your pick. Even if you want to have a Jag like the one in Ahmedabad, there is no price. You have to find such a car and ask the owner for what he will part with it. There are many who seek such cars.
Same thing with muscle cars. Recently a Dodge Charger was auctioned. I believe that it went for around 20L. Before the auction asking price was 35L, then went up to 50L or so. Now you decide what should be the price. There is no other way than to find one and negotiate individually. If you seek a simpler car like a chevy fleetmaster which are available, then you can put a price. But not for exclusive cars.
I know that with this para you have no answer but you have an idea how you could go about it.

Last edited by harit : 26th March 2009 at 00:28.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 05:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Such a difficult question. There is really no fixed price or even a guide line. Unfortunately in India there is no stock of such cars. So it is between the buyer and te seller. I have seen XK Jags starting Rs 7000/- with overheating problems before 1980 o cars restored and almost perfect above 50L. So take your pick. Even if you want to have a Jag like the one in Ahmedabad, there is no price. You have to find such a car and ask the owner for what he will part with it. There are many who seek such cars.
Same thing with muscle cars. Recently a Dodge Charger was auctioned. I believe that it went for around 20L. Before the auction asking price was 35L, then went up to 50L or so. Now you decide what should be the price. There is no other way than to find one and negotiate individually. If you seek a simpler car like a chevy fleetmaster which are available, then you can put a price. But not for exclusive cars.
I know that with this para you have no answer but you have an idea how you could go about it.
ofcourse there is no fixed price on these cars, I understand that. I just wanted a rough idea. so basically buying such cars in their pre-restored condition might not such expensive after all. but how much would be a rough cost of restoration. take for example that ahmedabad Jag. because fully restored cars command a very high premium.
also do you have any idea any plce where american muscle cars of 60's and 70's are sold in india? and that dodge charger thing I didnt understand.. I mean the car which had asking price for 35 lacs first, suddenly commanded premium and went upto 50 lacs but finally was sold for only 20 lacs in the auction?! A little confusing. and by the way is a restoring of such car possible in somewhere around the budget of 15 lakhs? whether an old Jag of 60's like XK120-140 or american muscle..

also If we do find an american muscle of late 60's or early 70's in decent condition, how do we restore it? I mean the right engine would not be available here right? like its available in US. and if yes, then where and who does all this? and If I am not mistaken, you cant import an old car in Inida right? otherwise it would be better to get one fully restored from US itself.

I know its quite difficult to answer these questions, but whatever light you can throw on these would be pretty helpful and informative.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

DIC 9829 which was spotted in Calcutta in 2004,
This car is owned by Mr.Shomnath Roychoudhry and the car is in Calcutta.This car was originally owned by Mr.Mansoor Ali khan Pataudi
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:34   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
Yes, the Vikram Singh car, Silver, is identified as chassis 660728 but I do not know where it came from before Hakkar.
This month's Autocar India magazine has a nice feature on the XK 120 BMU 1259, now with Vikram Singh.

The car apparently belonged to the Pant Pratinidhi (ruler?) of the state of Aundh, near to Satara I think.

Aundh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I assume they were first (or atleast long term) owners, and the article said they had plans to restore the car (in long term storage) till the unfortunate sudden demise of their young son.

From there it probably went to Ramesh Thakker in Pune, and then to Jaipur.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:58   #129
Team-BHP Support

Here is the car at the recent Cartier show.

Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-01.jpg
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-02.jpg
Vintage Jaguar XK120/140/150 in India-03.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:01   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
My last list is like this on XKs which of these are 120s/150s/140s not sure but will do it over the weekend.
1)Imperial palace
2)Jaipur - royal family
3) Vikram Singh - ex ramesh thackar car
4) Calcutta - Ghosh - I have just updated the engine number and chassis number- Its the ex Bihar pastel blue car.
5)Rajiv Kher - ex Bombay car - katrak
6) Dr Ravi Prakash
7) Gondal Its a xk150
8) Vora - Bombay - xk120
9) Sanghi - xk120
10) Sanghi - xk120
11) Delhi - metallic - Gorakhpur state car
12) South - one more car -
13) Pataudi - now delhi - xk 120
14) Bombay - xk 140 coupe - beyond restoration today

That's what I have - surely missing two cars as I knew of 16

So what is the total count till now?including the black xk 140 in calcutta?
Old 11th September 2009, 18:30   #131
BHPian

There were 20 XK120s sold new in India, not all are accounted for. - John Elmgreen
John Elmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 23:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elmgreen View Post
There were 20 XK120s sold new in India, not all are accounted for. - John Elmgreen

Many out of these were probably sold as scrap and junk and were cut and melted.These cars had very less value during the pre 80's so probably many went there.So if we get to know the engine numbers and chassis numbers of al the 20 then we could check and find out about how many are there and how many we have lost.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:17   #133
Senior - BHPian

Are there any of the early alloy bodied 120's to be found in India ?

Also are there any FHC cars. In my opinion the 120 / 140 FHC was a great looking car?

There were two 150s with the Gondol Royalty, one is pictured at the Cartier event any news or pics of the other car. It would be great to see pics of both at one place in one pic.

Last edited by wasif : 12th September 2009 at 00:19.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 00:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Are there any of the early alloy bodied 120's to be found in India ?

Also are there any FHC cars. In my opinion the 120 / 140 FHC was a great looking car?

Don't think any of those still exist but i think the DHC looks much better.If the car has a good colour and has good looking upholstry a DHC would be a much better looking car any day.I think E Types looked better with the FHC
Old 12th September 2009, 09:41   #135
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Apparently one of the 120 in India is an aluminium bodied car. I think its the Dhanbad car, but I am not sure. Its mentioned somehwhere in TBHP.

There are many pictures at TBHP of both the Gondal cars maybe not together.

I vaguely remember reading about one FHC in Bombay. Perhaps Harit can confirm
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote