Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 6th July 2013, 16:00   #481
BHPian

Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Can someone tell me a little about this?!
Courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hyder...44292278929780
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1001302_668544843171189_1482650810_n.jpg  

syedhafeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 16:07   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
Ofcourse, a Triumph Roadster, 1946 to 1948.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Roadster
She has a nice rounded rear, and is in good condition. Maybe located in Rajasthan?
There are a couple in India, I know of about 4.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th July 2013 at 16:09.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 16:21   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Maybe located in Rajasthan?
Thanks mate! Btw it's in Hyderabad not Rajasthan, here's a little video from the same source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
syedhafeez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 17:38   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate! Btw it's in Hyderabad not Rajasthan, here's a little video from the same source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
This is a Hyderabad registered car APX___- and most likely single owner.Its a Triumph 2000 and has a rumble seat in the boot and the boot lidhas a foldable windscreen

Apart from this there's one more car of the same model n body style

Last edited by Mohammed4rmhyd : 6th July 2013 at 17:43. Reason: added a line
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 20:42   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Roadster
She has a nice rounded rear, and is in good condition. Maybe located in Rajasthan?

Cheers harit
The late film star, Dev Anand, owned one. In his autobiography, Romancing the Life, there is a picture of Dev Anand in a green Triumph, BMZ 5840, waving to his wife, Kalpana Kartik, as he leaves for work. I recall the story in an issue of Filmfare in the 60s. This green Triumph is discussed in the book as well. The fold -down rear window, the two handles to open the trunk are visible. I will try to scan the photo for a posting. May be a photo is available from Filmfare archives ?
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 21:00   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post

The late film star, Dev Anand, owned one. In his autobiography, Romancing the Life, there is a picture of Dev Anand in a green Triumph, BMZ 5840, waving to his wife, Kalpana Kartik, as he leaves for work. I recall the story in an issue of Filmfare in the 60s. This green Triumph is discussed in the book as well. The fold -down rear window, the two handles to open the trunk are visible. I will try to scan the photo for a posting. May be a photo is available from Filmfare archives ?
Another fine car was a Mercedes Benz, a K series convertible with chrome side exhaust, that was owned by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was an actor and film producer of the 50s-60s. This was also in a picture story in Filmfare magazine. It vanished from Bombay and many years later was resurrected in Car & Driver or Motor Trend, I am not sure which, with an interesting story as its history. It had belonged to one of the princely states, of course, and had been bought by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was a collector of cars. It had been smuggled out on an Arab dhow to the gulf and found its way thru Europe to the US where it was restored.

Quote:

http://cineplot.com/wp-content/uploa...-dev-green.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th July 2013 at 10:21. Reason: Consecutive posts
priyo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 10:24   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car also made an appearance in atleast one of his movies (black and white).

Quote:
Another fine car was a Mercedes Benz, a K series convertible with chrome side exhaust, that was owned by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was an actor and film producer of the 50s-60s. This was also in a picture story in Filmfare magazine. It vanished from Bombay and many years later was resurrected in Car & Driver or Motor Trend, I am not sure which, with an interesting story as its history. It had belonged to one of the princely states, of course, and had been bought by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was a collector of cars. It had been smuggled out on an Arab dhow to the gulf and found its way thru Europe to the US where it was restored.
Sheikh Mukhtiar did own the Holkar Duesenberg (with similar exhaust pipes) and the V16 Caddy from Orchha for sure. Maybe he also owned the Kashmir SSK too, I remember that being featured in a magazine some time back. The Kashmir Mercedes was recently displayed at Pebble Beach, now owned by Mercedes itself.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 20:00   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a snippet on the history of the Kashmir / Khaipur Mercedes - now owned by M-B and displayed at Pebble Beach. Khaipur (not Khairpur) seems to be a small province in J&K.

The excerpt is from the autobiography of the man who exported it legally out of India to Australia and then the West.

Name:  Khairpur Mercedes SS History.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  45.4 KB
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 22:30   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Here is a snippet on the history of the Kashmir / Khaipur Mercedes - now owned by M-B and displayed at Pebble Beach. Khaipur (not Khairpur) seems to be a small province in J&K.

The excerpt is from the autobiography of the man who exported it legally out of India to Australia and then the West.
It seems that there are two MB s with equally interesting history. The one I read about in Filmfare and then in one of the American car magazine definitely was about
the Sheikh"s car. It specifically related the story of the car being shipped out thru the gulf and how it made thru Europe. That car is no doubt the one shown at Pebble beach . Sheikh's name featured prominently in the story.
The Kashmir car that you have traced is another jewel that has found a well deserved home where it will delight many car lovers. So many classic cars have been lost because of lack of care. Some were exported legally and many were smuggled out.
At the annual Statesman vintage car rally in New Delhi, a beautiful, huge and very stately Maybach was a regular entrant as were several Packards, Rolls, Buicks, Diamlers and Cadillacs from such states as Nabha, Bharatpur,Patiala, Rampur and a few other. I have tried to follow the rally but find most of these old beauties have dropped off. Of course, newer collectors have come on the scene with their very impressive line-up.
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 10:36   #490
BHPian

Quote:
At the annual Statesman vintage car rally in New Delhi, a beautiful, huge and very stately Maybach was a regular entrant as were several Packards, Rolls, Buicks, Diamlers and Cadillacs from such states as Nabha, Bharatpur,Patiala, Rampur and a few other. I have tried to follow the rally but find most of these old beauties have dropped off. Of course, newer collectors have come on the scene with their very impressive line-up.
The Maybach has not taken part in the rally itself for the last couple of years. Though it is now seen at the end of the rally during the prize distribution ceremony!!
Shivraj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 12:33   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj88 View Post
The Maybach has not taken part in the rally itself for the last couple of years. Though it is now seen at the end of the rally during the prize distribution ceremony!!
i think he is talking about the patiala maybach zeppelin, V12, now no longer in india. it was a gift to the maharaja from adolf hitler
awini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 17:51   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hyder...44292278929780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
This is a Hyderabad registered car APX___- and most likely single owner.Its a Triumph 2000 and has a rumble seat in the boot and the boot lidhas a foldable windscreen
Here are a few pics. of the same car at previous rallies/shows held at Hyd. (feels like such a long time ago!)

Note: Not blanking the plates as these were public events and even covered by the media.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_0373.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_0375.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-img_7232.jpg
Stanher is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 12:42   #493
BHPian

Which car is this ? Is it a Benz?
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-ime3.jpg  

kishorelal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 12:51   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Indeed it is a Mercedes Benz of the 1930s, maybe 230 or 320. Appears to be Landaulette, very nice. Any history behind this photo? Any more details?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 13:08   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
This is nice picture, can you please let us know the details behind this picture. Is this in India? Was it a family car?
Just curious.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote