Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 00:44   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,665
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Saw this old photo on the net.It is from Travancore era
Which is the car?
Ajay,

Nice photo

The building in the background - looks very familiar. Is it the Bishop's House at the Vellayambalam Circle ? Specially the statue in front of the building and the drive way

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 10:09   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 882 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay,

Nice photo

The building in the background - looks very familiar. Is it the Bishop's House at the Vellayambalam Circle ? Specially the statue in front of the building and the drive way

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Once you mentioned that I also feel that it could be that same building.What was bishop house building before it came to the catholic churchs ownership?
by the way here is another photo this time from erstwhile malabar
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-30.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 10:16   #513
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,665
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
What was bishop house building before it came to the catholic churchs ownership?
Ajay for the last 50 years or so it was with Latin Catholic Church and to the best of my knowledge it was given to the group as land much before that during the Royal rule.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 11:32   #514
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 882 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay for the last 50 years or so it was with Latin Catholic Church and to the best of my knowledge it was given to the group as land much before that during the Royal rule.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
An old timer says this is not Bishop house but could be some big christian/missionary building in Calicut.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 17:58   #515
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,909
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
May be my observation will narrow it down :

1 . It is a large left hand drive ....
2 . It appears to have wheels .... therefore, mid 20s .
3 . Before the 1929 crash, there were many makes other ....
My guess is that it is either an American or British car.
LHD is not an indicator, many American cars came in LHD. Common American cars were Ford T, Chevy and Studebaker. But odd cars also came in.
The wheels can be pre 1920 also.
The car could be a Wolseley, or a BSA like this.
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 19:13   #516
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 882 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
My guess is that it is either an American or British car.
LHD is not an indicator, many American cars came in LHD. Common American cars were Ford T, Chevy and Studebaker. But odd cars also came in.
The wheels can be pre 1920 also.
The car could be a Wolseley, or a BSA like this.
Haritji ,
I thought all American cars were LHD
But didnt some British cars also come in LHD
My info is that this was a 1908 Wolseley and belonged to some European Missionary

Last edited by ajay99 : 19th July 2013 at 19:15.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 22:25   #517
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 3,466 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Saw this old photo on the net.It is from Travancore era
Which is the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
May be my observation will narrow it down :

1 . It is a large left hand drive car which indicates that is is an American make.
2 . It appears to have wheels with wooden spokes, electric head lamps and passengers in twenties attire, therefore, mid 20s .
3 . Before the 1929 crash, there were many makes other than the big names, most did not survive. I much deeper research is called for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay,

Nice photo

The building in the background - looks very familiar. Is it the Bishop's House at the Vellayambalam Circle ? Specially the statue in front of the building and the drive way

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Good guesses all!

Here is the original picture from the Basel Mission Archives (you will find many other interesting pictures, including the ferry picture here).

It is the inauguration of the YMCA Calicut, and the car is very much RHD (I believe this picture was posted by someone before)

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-travancore-calicut-ymca-inauguration-cropped.jpg

http://www.bmarchives.org/items/show/78201

Another view of the same car

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-travancore-calicut-ymca-inauguration2.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 19th July 2013 at 22:31.
travancore is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 22:53   #518
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Good guesses all!

Here is the original picture from the Basel Mission Archives (you will find many other interesting pictures, including the ferry picture here).

It is the inauguration of the YMCA Calicut, and the car is very much RHD (I believe this picture was posted by someone before)

http://www.bmarchives.org/items/show/78201

Another view of the same car
Here is my observation : The two pictures are of the same car, location and the surroundings ! One photo is reversed , by mistake or oversight. Looking at the photo , one can see everything is the same except the details are reversed. Therefore the car appears LHD in one photo and RHD in the other. Look carefully, you will see even the the two large stones and the small black rock in the foreground near the brick ouline of the driveway are identical but in opposite locations. The palm tree(?) is on the left in one photo and on the right in the other. The detail of the white building, similarly , is reversed . So, tell me which is the correct picture. We have been discussing the same car, building, people and talking in circles !
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 23:00   #519
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post

Here is my observation : The two pictures are of the same car, location and the surroundings ! One photo is reversed , by mistake or oversight. Looking at the photo , one can see everything is the same except the details are reversed. Therefore the car appears LHD in one photo and RHD in the other. Look carefully, you will see even the the two large stones and the small black rock in the foreground near the brick ouline of the driveway are identical but in opposite locations. The palm tree(?) is on the left in one photo and on the right in the other. The detail of the white building, similarly , is reversed . So, tell me which is the correct picture. We have been discussing the same car, building, people and talking in circles !
This is surely an error made by the photographer who made the print from a negative and then turned the negative over and made a second print - resulting in a reversed
Image . The question is which is the correct one !
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 00:29   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,665
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
This is surely an error made by the photographer who made the print from a negative and then turned the negative over and made a second print - resulting in a reversed
Image . The question is which is the correct one !
Thanks Prem for coming up with the ID of the building and the other photo

Priyo, I think the correct pic is the one showing the car to be a RHD - we have two separate photos showing the car to be RHD, both can't be mis-prints.

Just my two bits

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 01:13   #521
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 3,466 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
This is surely an error made by the photographer who made the print from a negative and then turned the negative over and made a second print - resulting in a reversed
Image . The question is which is the correct one !
Still in doubt ?

Look closely and you will see "YMCA" under the windows, above the porch.

Spelt correctly in one photo.......
travancore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 02:57   #522
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Thanks Prem for coming up with the ID of the building and the other photo

Priyo, I think the correct pic is the one showing the car to be a RHD - we have two separate photos showing the car to be RHD, both can't be mis-prints.

Just my two bits

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Agreed. I see the YMCA in the second photo which indeed, makes the earlier one erroneous . The other photo, with the Union Jack and tongas, also confirms that the car is RHD. Now , if we concentrate to figure out what car it is, all will be happy !
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 19:09   #523
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 882 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Another old photo of old Malabar showing a convoy of cars on the move.
Attached Images
 
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 18:48   #524
BHPian
 
Vintage Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HYD/DXB/LON
Posts: 163
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

This big vintage Austin is now acquired by Sulaiman Ali Khan in Hyderabad. What's the model?
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-dd.jpg  

Attached Images
 
Vintage Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 19:39   #525
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,932
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
This big vintage Austin is now acquired by Sulaiman Ali Khan in Hyderabad. What's the model?
Maybe a 12 or 16 ! What is the engine in it a six or four cylinder and wher eis it from. Is it AP regestered
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 138 19th March 2017 20:30
Unidentified Vintage beauty spotted at a Jaipur Hotel. EDIT : It's an Opel Olympia GTO Post-War 3 10th September 2010 11:22
Which are the rarest and most valuable classic/vintage cars in India? Faster789 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 11th April 2010 16:41
India as a base For Restoration of Vintage and Classic Cars anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 9 26th March 2010 14:09
Unidentified Beauty (EDIT: Its in Bahrain though and not India)!! Srini76 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 2nd January 2008 21:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks