Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 10:42   #91
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 724
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Spotted these Vintage cars near BRT (Saket) today.
The second one i guess is chevy bellair '57/58 model
gendarmee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 15:47   #92
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Chennai Triumph

Is the Triumph standing at Vivek Chandrasekar's lot near Teynampet?
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 23:46   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Karlos,

The car is in a mumbai suburb,the engine has most probably been replaced with diesel one and the car was running around till some 10-12 years back. I do not have a direct contact with the owner hence no idea about the papers or other details.

Sanat,
That was owned by a Crazy chap probably still is. I went to see it a few years ago and it had a diesel Mercedes engine. The original he said was lying with him. It also had Mercedes meters. There was also a Ford A which was parked in junk condition which he proclaimed to be Mahatma Gandhi's car. I have heard that the Ford is not there now and the Chrysler Royale is deteriorating.

If it is of any interest to anyone, there is an identical Royale for sale in Mumbai and is is in fantastic condition. No its not this one at all.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 00:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,221
Thanked: 1,351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
It was, but not for sale.
It's a Triumph 1300:

Triumph 1300 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:02   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,340
Thanked: 4,028 Times
Default

This car used to be parked on the Mahim-Worli-Bandra Road around the mid 1990's.Though not very original, it was a rare make,I believe.
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-worli-vintgcar.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:05   #96
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This car used to be parked on the Mahim-Worli-Bandra Road around the mid 1990's.Though not very original, it was a rare make,I believe.
Attachment 113979
Wow, I wonder if she lives to tell her tale. Car is Pune registered. Any more pics?

My guess is an early Citroen perhaps.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:31   #97
BHPian
 
TractionAvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 183
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My guess is an early Citroen perhaps.
That would be my guess as well.

Karl, when I was in school there was a similar early citroen tourer in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park (prabhat/ Bhandarkar road). It was a dull medium blue with black wings. Any idea where it is now?

Aditya
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:47   #98
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
That would be my guess as well.

Karl, when I was in school there was a similar early citroen tourer in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park (prabhat/ Bhandarkar road). It was a dull medium blue with black wings. Any idea where it is now?

Aditya
There was a Traction Avant lying stripped in a bungalow on Prabhat road, right opposite is the MASA office, I was told they are relatives. Another MASA official has a similar early car, BYF 2072 if I remember right, green with black wings, recently restored. Shreeram had posted pics elsewhere.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:50   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,340
Thanked: 4,028 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, I wonder if she lives to tell her tale. Car is Pune registered. Any more pics?

My guess is an early Citroen perhaps.
No Karl I just clicked one picture as the car looked different but not original.It neither looked like a Model A and nor a Chevrolet which were popular in the early 1930's.As you say it could be a Citreon. Will look up the encyclopedia and post. Yes its BYF from Pune! I am sure harit will be able to tell more about the car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th March 2009 at 18:00.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 18:38   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Yes it is indeed a Citroen. This belongs/belonged to an Irani family running a popular bakery on Worli and i have seen some really flamboyant colours on it. Red & Black to Metallic Green and Silver to Copper and Gold , etc, etc. I presume the car was made available for shootings and thats where these original colours were derived.

Used to chat with the old Irani Uncle over a slice of Plum cake (still available and still the best i have tasted) which he handed out free to kids and the like (discontinued now).
It was a family heirloom i believe but sadly, after the old man passed away a few years ago, it seems to have been either sold or retired to some other resting place
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 11:36   #101
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yes it is indeed a Citroen. This belongs/belonged to an Irani family running a popular bakery on Worli and i have seen some really flamboyant colours on it. Red & Black to Metallic Green and Silver to Copper and Gold , etc, etc. I presume the car was made available for shootings and thats where these original colours were derived.

Used to chat with the old Irani Uncle over a slice of Plum cake (still available and still the best i have tasted) which he handed out free to kids and the like (discontinued now).
It was a family heirloom i believe but sadly, after the old man passed away a few years ago, it seems to have been either sold or retired to some other resting place
Sirjee, finally gotcha with a tale!!

This Citroen is of about 1926. It belonged to the driving school fellows just a few shops after the bakery, not the bakery.
In the mid 1990's I went there on a sunday and spent time with the old gentleman. The Citroen was silver in colour and was kept inside the shop. I used to see her daily on my way to office. He told me that the car came from a Parsi gentleman in Pune. He had modified the wheels because the correct tyre size was no longer available. And he no longer had the rims.

Then looking around the premises, he had another chassis of a Bantam, complete except for the head. I discussed with Solanki, he having the other Bantam in Mumbai and he told me that that car was originally an open tourer and belonged to a Parsi wrestler or body builder with a name something like Adrian Sandow? Anyhow, in those days all driving schools were required to have a complete chassis on display. Solanki bought the chassis, took some parts in his car, the rest came on a handcart. Later they called back the handcart, sold the parts to chor bazar and did not compensate Solanki.

Subsequently this driving school went on an expansion mode, driven by the next generation and an office was made. So the Citroen came out on the street. Then they painted her red and black. She was seen in some song video also. Then she was sent to Vasu at Worlinaka for repair, all wood work replaced with metal, horrible job. Engine gave a lot of trouble and another unit was fitted, probably Maruti, effectively killing the car.
Short story on this Citroen
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 12:58   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,340
Thanked: 4,028 Times
Default

harit-Sad to read the saga of this car that used to be parked prominently to the south of Worli, on the main road. I knew you will be able to say about it authoritatively. One just could'nt miss a glimpse of the car those days as it stood out among the Premiers and Marutis parked along with.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 17:02   #103
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Subsequently this driving school went on an expansion mode, driven by the next generation and an office was made. So the Citroen came out on the street. Then they painted her red and black. She was seen in some song video also. Then she was sent to Vasu at Worlinaka for repair, all wood work replaced with metal, horrible job. Engine gave a lot of trouble and another unit was fitted, probably Maruti, effectively killing the car.
Short story on this Citroen
How unfortunate, I would think the car is far more collectable/desirable than say a Chevy tourer or Model A. What is the current status? Is she still with them, or gone to that big junkyard in the sky?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:37   #104
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 925
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I'm sure a lot of bhpians out here will be able to spot this one !
Attached Images
 
kannan666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:56   #105
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,221
Thanked: 1,351 Times
Default

'appears to be a Morris 8, with a modified grille.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 137 6th April 2016 23:22
Unidentified Vintage beauty spotted at a Jaipur Hotel. EDIT : It's an Opel Olympia GTO Post-War 3 10th September 2010 11:22
Which are the rarest and most valuable classic/vintage cars in India? Faster789 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 11th April 2010 16:41
India as a base For Restoration of Vintage and Classic Cars anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 9 26th March 2010 14:09
Unidentified Beauty (EDIT: Its in Bahrain though and not India)!! Srini76 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 2nd January 2008 21:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks