Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 13:56   #31
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kidangoor
Posts: 56
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Vintage smugglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Great, now Kerala is sovereign from the rest of India as the vintage cars there are now Keralite heritage!

So now we see reservation within the category of 'outsiders', the 'certain outsiders.'

And, if I bring a car in from Kerala, I am into smuggling?!

And will the 'citizens' of Kerala now have to pay import duties for bringing a vintage car in from India? If it's allowed to import them in the first place, that is.

Or is all this simply about clamping down on exports of vintage cars in Kerala from India, through porous paths in other states?
I dont understand why PRABHAL sir is so AGITATED over such a harmless proposal.Every state has a right to protect what it considers its "HERITAGE".to the best of my knowledge, actually some Historical society in the state had complained the govt that certain cars which belong to the royal "STATE of TRAVANCORE, COCHIN
were sold first out of the state and finally to EUROPE.
For eg: The first REGN no in the state KLT-1 is now in United Kingdom. This cant go on forever.Also another ROLLSROYCE is now in Karnataka.The govt cant turn a blind eye on such things. They are not concerned with any imported car of the 60's or 70's, only such cars like the ones used by former GOVERNORS,CM's , VISITING HEAD OF STATES, etc....which have some HISTORICAL Tag attached to it .
I think all state governments should /can enact such provisions to protect their states heritage.!!!
classico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th July 2008, 17:31   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,201
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

classico, this is really GREAT piece of news!!
music to the ears of vintage car lovers in KERALA who have been seeing good classics being taken out of the State by certain so called "collecters' with the help of unscruplous local brokers and agents.
I know of a certain CONCORS 1946 DODGE CUSTOM Fluid drive which belong to Malayala Manorama with original pedigree and even TRV no in its book( KLK after independence) being swindled from its innocent owner by an agent claiming that he is going to keep in his home in Kochi, and send directly in a TRUCK to a collecter in Jaipur after making a quick buck in the process.Do you know the price agent gave to the original Malayali owner(rs.1.5lakhs) !!!This happend just a few months back.same is the case witha MGB roadster.
Hope the government seriously implement this proposal
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 10:10   #33
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kidangoor
Posts: 56
Thanked: 0 Times
Default vintage smugling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
classico, this is really GREAT piece of news!!
music to the ears of vintage car lovers in KERALA who have been seeing good classics being taken out of the State by certain so called "collecters' with the help of unscruplous local brokers and agents.
I know of a certain CONCORS 1946 DODGE CUSTOM Fluid drive which belong to Malayala Manorama with original pedigree and even TRV no in its book( KLK after independence) being swindled from its innocent owner by an agent claiming that he is going to keep in his home in Kochi, and send directly in a TRUCK to a collecter in Jaipur after making a quick buck in the process.Do you know the price agent gave to the original Malayali owner(rs.1.5lakhs) !!!This happend just a few months back.same is the case witha MGB roadster.
Hope the government seriously implement this proposal

please give more details of such cars if you know abt those.
also does anyone know the names of vintage car dealers in Kerala.
i hear abt one Nassar and muralee in Quilon
classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 09:58   #34
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kidangoor
Posts: 56
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation Beetle for SALE?

On my trip to Trivanndrum yesterday,I met a used car dealer who told me that he has info that there is a fully restored red beetle of 1964 vintage up for sale .Asking price is Rs.2lacs/-
any idea folks, which is that car?
classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 09:54   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,201
Thanked: 745 Times
Default beetle for sale???

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
On my trip to Trivanndrum yesterday,I met a used car dealer who told me that he has info that there is a fully restored red beetle of 1964 vintage up for sale .Asking price is Rs.2lacs/-
any idea folks, which is that car?
i have no info,please post this in CLASSICS AVAILABLE thread if you know the detailss/photos
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 20:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 4,835
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default

classico please post pictures of the beauties for our viewing.Are there rallies of old classic and vintage cars held in Quilon?
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:53   #37
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kidangoor
Posts: 56
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

sorry till date i have neveer seen any vintage/classic rally being held in KOLLAM
classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 20:10   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Sometime back I had posted the picture of the same car being driven from Kollam to Tvm without a paintjob & windshields. Today I saw her again in a better shape in front of Bharat Tyres, Near Enjakkal Trivandrum. Talked to the driver, he didn't disclose who the owner is, but he said the the owner has a collection of exotics.

Classics in Quilon (Kerala)-8.jpg
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 20:55   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,201
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Sometime back I had posted the picture of the same car being driven from Kollam to Tvm without a paintjob & windshields. Today I saw her again in a better shape in front of Bharat Tyres, Near Enjakkal Trivandrum. Talked to the driver, he didn't disclose who the owner is, but he said the the owner has a collection of exotics.

Attachment 116972
which car are you talking about?
where is the picture?
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 02:53   #40
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 403
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Hi Clevermax,

Can you please check whether 4 tyres for this car (Morris 8 E) similar size available in Kerala. I have similar car I need to find 4 tyres for it.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 09:00   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Clevermax,

Can you please check whether 4 tyres for this car (Morris 8 E) similar size available in Kerala. I have similar car I need to find 4 tyres for it.
vintagepoint5, I'll check that if I happen to see this person again, or when I goto that tyre shop next time. BTW, here is another picture of the car's tyre. Alomost 100% crop, but still can't read the specs, as I took the shot from little far.

Name:  MorrisTyre.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  93.6 KB
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 09:07   #42
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 372 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Sometime back I had posted the picture of the same car being driven from Kollam to Tvm without a paintjob & windshields. Today I saw her again in a better shape in front of Bharat Tyres, Near Enjakkal Trivandrum. Talked to the driver, he didn't disclose who the owner is, but he said the the owner has a collection of exotics.

Attachment 116972
I noticed the "vanity" plates on the car. Very interesting, would like to see if his other cars also sport such plates. Do all the States offer vanity plates and what would be the cost? I thought cars kept their original plates from day one.

In Ontario, Canada owners can have special plates made up for about $250.
The basic plate has on the top- "Ontario, yours to discover" and at the upper right hand corner a colored sticker is applied each year showing that the road tax has been paid. Where the numbers normally go I saw one Vanity plate that said "I'M GAY"!

We purchased a 1962 Fiat 1100 here in Calcutta a few years ago that had been owned by the Movie Star, Pranati Das with a WBF-1 plate. We get all kinds of comments on it and enjoy sharing her Vanity.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 09:21   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I noticed the "vanity" plates on the car. Very interesting, would like to see if his other cars also sport such plates. Do all the States offer vanity plates and what would be the cost? I thought cars kept their original plates from day one.

In Ontario, Canada owners can have special plates made up for about $250.
The basic plate has on the top- "Ontario, yours to discover" and at the upper right hand corner a colored sticker is applied each year showing that the road tax has been paid. Where the numbers normally go I saw one Vanity plate that said "I'M GAY"!

We purchased a 1962 Fiat 1100 here in Calcutta a few years ago that had been owned by the Movie Star, Pranati Das with a WBF-1 plate. We get all kinds of comments on it and enjoy sharing her Vanity.
John, Here in India, none of the states allow any kind of vanity plates. The vanity plate that you saw in my post was in fact a photoshop job done by me , in order to cover the original license plate. I do not like to blur or simply erase the license plates. So I fix fake license plates!!

PS:- My Avatar pic is no different case!

Last edited by clevermax : 29th March 2009 at 09:26.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 09:31   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 568
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Clevermax,

Can you please check whether 4 tyres for this car (Morris 8 E) similar size available in Kerala. I have similar car I need to find 4 tyres for it.
That tyre is Firestone, looks like 500/525X16, very difficult to source new one in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The vanity plate that you saw in my post was in fact a photoshop job done by me , in order to cover the original license plate.
As the name says.....clevermax...................very clever
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 14:40   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,146
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
The Motor Vehicle department in KERALA is contemplating a draft proposal of not issuing NOC(NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE) for vintage cars so as to prevent the exodus of keralas's heritage out of the state.
The concerned officer is going to land upin hot soup before the courts if the NoC is not issued.

Only reason a NoC may be denied is if the car is involved in any criminal case. (theft, used for criminal "operations", drug / liquor smuggling, etc.). A decision denying the NoC has to be sent within 30 (IIRC - not sure). days to the registered owner (the guy selling the vehicle). If the seller has applied for NoC and has not received it within the NoC, proof of applying for the Noc is sufficient.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerala Guys ,where in kerala are you residing? deepclutch Shifting gears 335 24th September 2014 23:58
If you Love Sea Food and Can drive to Quilon (Kollam) johnda Shifting gears 33 12th November 2013 12:55
Question on Bangalore to Ashtamudi (Kollam/ Quilon) via Bandipur srh Route / Travel Queries 18 30th August 2013 18:23
Classics in Panchgani. Cyrus43 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 23 5th July 2012 14:58
Classics, Vintages anyone? newcoolgadgets Introduce yourself 12 29th January 2007 15:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks