Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:42   #436
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is from Shaan (1980) ...... Must have been the only one or two of its kind in India then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Yes, I remember and still know of three cars and all of them were in Maharashtra. One is still all banged up and not a Targa while two are still in decent shape and Targa's Cheers
Porsche's, like Ferrari's, were very rare in India pre-1990 and the handful of cars around were well known.
There was a 365 in Belgaum, finally saw a picture in Gautam Sen's book. Then there was the 914 of Dharmendra, a complete car that got kicked around and is now being resurected. And there was a 911 of Dubash, I think that it was a pre 1975 model. Such exotic cars hardly ever came to India, there were restrictions and so people imported Mercedes, Chevy's, Ford, Holden etc. Remember, someone had to maintain them too. One source of exotics was STC, and they got the Targa which was used by an American consulate employee who gave it up when he left Mumbai. At the STC auction Mallya won the car, and promptly fitted that huge spoiler, that was not original. Later came a crash, and the car also moved places.
Even the Dubash car crashed, I personally saw this bashed at the Haji Ali circle. She was repaired, colour was also changed a couple of times. ALL Porsches at that time were wrecked, how strange. Apex Garage worked on Dubash's car. If my memory serves me correctly, the next Porsche was a 911 which came through a customs auction. Soon a 928 appeared, 944 and 924 were also seen with a few 911's thrown in. But that was later.
I would love to know more about that second Targa.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:52   #437
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,800
Thanked: 1,873 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

The second Targa is very much alive and in the state of Karnataka or Andhra Pradesh. The city's name is Gulburgah and something todo with a person who was or is on the board of ACC cement - Raghoji if I remember right will ask his grandson for snaps and upload them soon.

The Dubash car is not a Targa and almost complete today and the Targa of STC is if not mistaken yet in Poona and I stand corrected. And what about the red Mistry car of colaba ? where did that go.

Cheers



Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Porsche's, like Ferrari's, were very rare in India pre-1990 and the handful of cars around were well known.
There was a 365 in Belgaum, finally saw a picture in Gautam Sen's book. Then there was the 914 of Dharmendra, a complete car that got kicked around and is now being resurected. And there was a 911 of Dubash, I think that it was a pre 1975 model. Such exotic cars hardly ever came to India, there were restrictions and so people imported Mercedes, Chevy's, Ford, Holden etc. Remember, someone had to maintain them too. One source of exotics was STC, and they got the Targa which was used by an American consulate employee who gave it up when he left Mumbai. At the STC auction Mallya won the car, and promptly fitted that huge spoiler, that was not original. Later came a crash, and the car also moved places.
Even the Dubash car crashed, I personally saw this bashed at the Haji Ali circle. She was repaired, colour was also changed a couple of times. ALL Porsches at that time were wrecked, how strange. Apex Garage worked on Dubash's car. If my memory serves me correctly, the next Porsche was a 911 which came through a customs auction. Soon a 928 appeared, 944 and 924 were also seen with a few 911's thrown in. But that was later.
I would love to know more about that second Targa.

Cheers harit
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:19   #438
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The second Targa is very much alive and in the state of Karnataka or Andhra Pradesh. The city's name is Gulburgah and something todo with a person who was or is on the board of ACC cement - Raghoji if I remember right will ask his grandson for snaps and upload them soon..............Cheers
This second Targa, ex-Maharashtra, what was the colour and when was this seen around and where? I have no recollection of a second Targa before 1990's. Looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:42   #439
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

@Harit,Kasli
The thread "Classic Porsches in India" is worth a look and may provide some info on the above discussion.
Was and am a die-hard Porsche fan, but unfortunately my memory has blown a gasket or I could have been of more use!
Regards.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:21   #440
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Porsche's, like Ferrari's, were very rare in India pre-1990 and the handful of cars around were well known............
.......I would love to know more about that second Targa.Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
@Harit,Kasli The thread "Classic Porsches in India" is worth a look and may provide some info on the above discussion.
........Regards.
Had a look during my tea break
I have come to the conclusion that there was the 365 of yore, then Dubash 911, Dharmendra's 914, and then the Mallya 911 Targa. And that was it till end 1980's. More cars came in later, even that blue Targa is a later import.
Dubash's car had many colours, at one time even metallic blue. In the thread "Classic Porsches in India" Speedy says that the red 911 was Dubash's which makes the cars identity clear, here I had a doubt.
Can only add that this Dubash of Colaba was another "Dubash" who was very active in the vintage car movement in the 1960's and at some time owned (or had in his care) the 365 of yore, not the recent(relatively) white import seen nowadays. And this is, as always subject to correction. Ah, early history of Porsche's is so compact, only 4 cars, but complicated nevertheless.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 18:01   #441
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

These pictures from the newspapers show bits of my favourite Buick, the Super convertible as appearing in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. Have still to see the movie though. This sort of grooving on roadtrips in convertibles is a small Nirvana.
And this car is such a typical Bollywoodmobile, seen in old B+W flicks and in later movies.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-magazine-0080.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 6th August 2011 at 18:03.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 19:44   #442
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,800
Thanked: 1,873 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Irony is that the car used in the mOvie is 1949 Dynaflow convertible ( Super ) while all the promo and posters has been shot with a 1947 Super convertible. The give away is the Hood locks which appear in a 1946 to 1948. Including a huge poster at Metro Cinema. Also the windscreen center post was removed to shoot the stars well. Images for comparison attached

Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These pictures from the newspapers show bits of my favourite Buick, the Super convertible as appearing in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. Have still to see the movie though. This sort of grooving on roadtrips in convertibles is a small Nirvana.
And this car is such a typical Bollywoodmobile, seen in old B+W flicks and in later movies.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-265822_192900337425420_176228295759291_491238_7930802_o.jpg  

Attached Images
 
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 20:18   #443
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,464
Thanked: 4,437 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Irony is that the car used in the mOvie is 1949 Dynaflow convertible ( Super ) while all the promo and posters has been shot with a 1947 Super convertible. The give away is the Hood locks which appear in a 1946 to 1948. Including a huge poster at Metro Cinema. Also the windscreen center post was removed to shoot the stars well. Images for comparison attached

Cheers
The windshield wipers too appear to be missing in the poster car, apart from the hood locks and split windscreen pillar.
But nevertheless, its after a long time that a Buick Super Eight has appeared in a Bollywood movie.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:57   #444
BHPian
 
glomus123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: India
Posts: 163
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

From the new movie Buddah hoga tere baap.
Attached Images
    
glomus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 19:55   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

The 911 Targa, appearing in the film Shaan was borrowed from STC specifically for the song. If you remember, the STC would display their cars in their showrooms with a number, which was the number in the tender, mostly the number badge was displayed on the dashboard or hung from the rear view mirror. If you notice, the number was hung in the film all throughout the scene. See 3:17 onwards of this clip. You will see the number 8 prominently displayed on the dashboard at 3:25.

I remember seeing the car back at Motor House, the then STC showroom at Peddar Road, which is where the Porsche showroom sits today. Ironical na?

It was later bid for by someone, but not in that tender, maybe the next one and i never saw it since then.

At 9:44 you also see a VW spltty van, most probably belonging to one of the stars of the film. At that time these VW vans were the coveted item for every star worth their salt to have.

V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 21:09   #446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,480 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Not really an old nor a Bollywood movie but lots of classics in it. This is a recent movie, 'Madrasapattinam', set in 1947 during the Independence (hence the "MC" regns. on the cars seem anachronistic here as the 3-alphabet regns. were introduced in 1939 itself, starting with MSC)

Strangely most of the cars seen in this are Vauxhalls!

Any idea what is the red and black car with whitewalls?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9116.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9117.jpg

Name:  IMG_9114.JPG
Views: 1697
Size:  84.8 KB

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9115.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9120.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9121.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9122.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9123.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9125.jpg

Name:  IMG_9127.JPG
Views: 1657
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9131.JPG
Views: 1633
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9132.JPG
Views: 1618
Size:  43.3 KB
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 22:23   #447
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,800
Thanked: 1,873 Times
Default

Red car is a rover 1947


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher
Not really an old nor a Bollywood movie but lots of classics in it. This is a recent movie, 'Madrasapattinam', set in 1947 during the Independence (hence the "MC" regns. on the cars seem anachronistic here as the 3-alphabet regns. were introduced in 1939 itself, starting with MSC)

Strangely most of the cars seen in this are Vauxhalls!

Any idea what is the red and black car with whitewalls?

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589711"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589712"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589713"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589714"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589715"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589716"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589717"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589718"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589719"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589720"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589726"/>

<img src="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=589727"/>
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 16:17   #448
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Irony is that the car used in the mOvie is 1949 Dynaflow convertible ( Super ) while all the promo and posters has been shot with a 1947 Super convertible. The give away is the Hood locks which appear in a 1946 to 1948. Including a huge poster at Metro Cinema. Also the windscreen center post was removed to shoot the stars well. Images for comparison attached Cheers
Good spotting, Kasli. Attached is an article which appeared in today's Indian Express supplement. The top line says B-Town's topless beauties, the article was a bit bigger than my scanner.
Bollywood movies so often feature exotic cars. They do mention Dev Anands 1955 Chevy Belair convertible shown in Jewel Thief, I have that car and she is under restoration, should be ready next year. Bollywood and classic cars do have a strong bond. Unfortunately they often chopped the cars, and also smashed them when there was not much value in them.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-magazine-0081a.jpg  

Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:26   #449
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,933
Thanked: 2,615 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Another picture of the Chevy Bel Air used in Jewel Thief. Just imagine, a bunch of girls sat in this car and followed Dev Anand walking along with a fishing rod. In this case a fishing rod helped to catch birds

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 22:39   #450
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,480 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Not a Bollywood movie but definitely an Indian one...and of course old!

Appears to be an early 80s Tamil movie.

'wonder how they got hold of so many French cars though! Although all of those seem to be picked up from scrappers, except for the white Peugeot 504 "Break" and the silver 'TMU(?) 434!

The 1960 Impala has an interesting regn.!
Could've been fake too!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9590.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9593.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9595.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9596.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9597.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9598.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9599.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9602.jpg

Name:  IMG_9604.JPG
Views: 1945
Size:  71.3 KB

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9609.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9614.jpg
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bollywood Stars and their Cars ajmat Super-Cars & Imports in India 2681 23rd July 2017 15:49
Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 109 12th September 2015 16:09
Vintage & Classic cars seen in International films predatorwheelz Beyond Borders 30 8th January 2011 10:29
Best car chases in films rangaraj Int'l Motorsport 4 10th January 2006 10:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks