Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 18:18   #481
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Srinagar
Posts: 35
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

I dimly remember a movie by the name of Ginny and Johnny starring the late comedian Mehmood. It had a fantastic sports car driven by him but i don't remember the exact model. Anyone recalls the car or the movie?
superlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 18:28   #482
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a link of an I.S. Johar film "Johar in Bombay". The song shows many, many cars on the Bombay streets from yester-years. A rare video and a real treat to watch.Incidentally,10/03/2012 happens to be the 28th death anniversary of I.S. Johar.
twas indeed a treat for me for sure! Cant believe how many Heralds I could see in this song, considering this was in BOMBAY! including 3 EARLY ones in the original 2-tone!!
Oh, yes I DID notice the other cars as well- the various Fiats, including one select/Superselect with a painted rear bumper and the other with a horizontal rear numberplate. Plus a '59 Chevy.
The Chevy in the song is referred to by Johar as an 'Impala' - I guess they called every Chevy by that name here!

Also any idea what car Johar is driving? Is the windscreen frame chopped off at the top?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 18:41   #483
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 2,618 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
twas indeed a treat for me for sure! Cant believe how many Heralds I could see in this song, considering this was in BOMBAY! including 3 EARLY ones in the original 2-tone!!
Oh, yes I DID notice the other cars as well- the various Fiats, including one select/Superselect with a painted rear bumper and the other with a horizontal rear numberplate. Plus a '59 Chevy.
The Chevy in the song is referred to by Johar as an 'Impala' - I guess they called every Chevy by that name here!

Also any idea what car Johar is driving? Is the windscreen frame chopped off at the top?
Johar is driving a 1937 Buick, and it's not Bulldogji's, I checked,
For obvious reasons, I know that the Chevy is not an Impala, it's a Belair.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 8th March 2012 at 18:43.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 00:29   #484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlux View Post
I dimly remember a movie by the name of Ginny and Johnny starring the late comedian Mehmood. It had a fantastic sports car driven by him but i don't remember the exact model. Anyone recalls the car or the movie?
The red one, a convertible? If I recollect right, from publications of that time that my mother subscribed to, like Screen for one, I think you're remembering a 1963-64 Chevy Corvette! I faintly remember a write-up mentioning that the car in the film belonged to Mehmood himself (he was said to be a car-buff too), and probably the kid, or kids, acting in the film were his own children as well - or something like that.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 11:11   #485
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,562 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here are Shammi Kapoor and Vijayanthimala from the film Prince (1969) featured in the yesteryear hit "nazar me bijli ada me sholay". The video features a MG and in the later part a Ford Model "A" is also seen.
In one scene the car is seen driving across a bridge - possibly the same bridge seen in the Maicoletta pictures Harit recently posted in the Nostalgic thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlux View Post
I dimly remember a movie by the name of Ginny and Johnny starring the late comedian Mehmood. It had a fantastic sports car driven by him but i don't remember the exact model. Anyone recalls the car or the movie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
The red one, a convertible? If I recollect right, from publications of that time that my mother subscribed to, like Screen for one, I think you're remembering a 1963-64 Chevy Corvette! I faintly remember a write-up mentioning that the car in the film belonged to Mehmood himself (he was said to be a car-buff too), and probably the kid, or kids, acting in the film were his own children as well - or something like that.
True, and that car is now in a Bombay collection.

Name:  65.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  14.3 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 12:42   #486
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
True, and that car is now in a Bombay collection
There you are! That's a scene from the movie, or the car in her regular avatar?
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 15:49   #487
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
There you are! That's a scene from the movie, or the car in her regular avatar?
Well it should be 99% unlikely that its from a movie! In which case the car wouldnt be shot all alone!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 20:51   #488
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,562 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
There you are! That's a scene from the movie, or the car in her regular avatar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well it should be 99% unlikely that its from a movie! In which case the car wouldnt be shot all alone!
Plus would've had a black number plate

This picture I think is from a BSM shoot when they featured the car.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 23:39   #489
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Couple of cars from the movie Guddi *ing Jaya Bhaduri (Bachan), I thimnk her debut film?

A patina-ised 50s Opel Rekord and a nice Fiat Millecento (same colour as our amol's Elegant? )
The rear bumper seems to be coated with grease to protect the chrome from rusting, which I was told was common in Bombay those days?

I think they used the same car throughout the movie, except that in the scene showing the left front, the front bumper seems to be greased as well!

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9958.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9959.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9961.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9962.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9964.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9968.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_9971.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_0500.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_0502.jpg

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-img_0503.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 00:07   #490
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well it should be 99% unlikely that its from a movie! In which case the car wouldnt be shot all alone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Plus would've had a black number plate

This picture I think is from a BSM shoot when they featured the car.
Right you guys are, I need to learn a trick or two about the movies, and the white plates should've told me about the temporal factor too. Btw, rather coincidentally the movie was on the telly day before while I was surfing, and I stuck to the channel to catch the car; and she was without the hubcaps/wheelcovers in every frame I could catch. Looked in fine nick otherwise, although in one scene I thought I saw a bit of black exhaust as Mehmood accelerated away, indicating either poor fuel or a rich-mixture.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 10:23   #491
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,151
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
a nice Fiat Millecento (same colour as our amol's Elegant? )
The rear bumper seems to be coated with grease to protect the chrome from rusting, which I was told was common in Bombay those days?

I think they used the same car throughout the movie, except that in the scene showing the left front, the front bumper seems to be greased as well!
yes the colour is identical, though i am not sure if she could be in original paint, it could be because the number plate indicates she is a 1956 so probably just before the elegant came in at the end of 56. if indeed the colour is original then it would be 15yrs old at the time of the movie shoot, there is a lot to learn especially in the treatment of rims which are body coloured. Also do notice the additional turning indicator that has been put on the fender like an elegant, retaining the old one near the grill. You learn so much from these old movies. thanks for the pics

Last edited by the mole : 15th March 2012 at 10:24.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 13:26   #492
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
yes the colour is identical, though i am not sure if she could be in original paint. Also do notice the additional turning indicator that has been put on the fender like an elegant, retaining the old one near the grill
Remember Amol, we had a conversation regarding the blue colour when you were deciding for your car? I still seem to recollect a tad bit of green more in this metallic blue (say a small drop in 200ml!!) - the last pic in Shyam's screenshots seems to veer towards that, but still not quite. However, I do also make a lot of mistakes increasingly nowadays!!

Regarding the parking lights- they appear larger than the 103 Millecento's original size and shape (with a small, flatter lense in the body). And the fender lights on the Elegant were placed above the beading, and the wheel arch, if I'm not mistaken again.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:05   #493
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

A nice Fiat 1100 I just saw in a late 60s Tamil movie. Sorry these are mobile ph. pics., didnt want to come upstairs to get my camera lest I miss the car!

Now its a bit confusing at first but looking closely I'm more inclined to think this car is a select with a couple of superselect fittings, namely the grille, side indicators and I think the side-trim?

The rest of the features are all select.

It has an MSW regn.

'hope I get to see this car again as well as more cars in the movie as its still going on.

Name:  Photo0235.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  Photo237.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  Photo0237.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  Photo0238.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  63.5 KB
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 16:49   #494
BHPian
 
cmdalvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 142
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

You guys are talking about old movies, i was channel surfing the other day and had the bad luck of catching the sad excuse of a movie - Golmaal 3 on one of the channels.

They have destroyed a lot of classics in that movie. cars flying through the sky and what not, landing in a heap of junk, and there were a lot of them, i believe.
Crazy stuff, there were a lot of classics destroyed in the 80s also in the movies, all car chasing sequences would have classics dashing against each other for whatever reason
but golmaal really made my heart sigh, now that there are so many enthusiasts looking for good classics, seeeing them smashed up like that was like AHHHH


Last edited by cmdalvi : 26th April 2012 at 16:53. Reason: adding pics
cmdalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 17:38   #495
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 2,618 Times
Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
You guys are talking about old movies, i was channel surfing the other day and had the bad luck of catching the sad excuse of a movie - Golmaal 3 on one of the channels.

They have destroyed a lot of classics in that movie.......
Our movie wallahs have been destroying cars all along, do you remember Ashok Kumar crashing a convertible pre-war Buick? They even wanted to but my Custom Royal to.... Only they could not afford it.
Today they still blast classic cars, and the remains sell for a high price. Engines are definitely recycled. And they crash Civics, Contessa's, 118NE's. They also create cars, and do computer generation.
They even make fake grills, panels like doors which they damage in accidents.
But in the movies the cars have to crash.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bollywood Stars and their Cars ajmat Super-Cars & Imports in India 2681 23rd July 2017 15:49
Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 109 12th September 2015 16:09
Vintage & Classic cars seen in International films predatorwheelz Beyond Borders 30 8th January 2011 10:29
Best car chases in films rangaraj Int'l Motorsport 4 10th January 2006 10:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks