Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 9th January 2014, 16:59   #706
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While I haven't seen the movie, I'm told a lot of period footage was incorporated into the film. Perhaps this is one such scene?
No Sir, this is one scene towards the end when Milkha Singh goes to Pakistan for the race and the President of Pakistan is shown to arrive in this car. It wasn't a file footage.
//M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:14   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
No Sir, this is one scene towards the end when Milkha Singh goes to Pakistan for the race and the President of Pakistan is shown to arrive in this car. It wasn't a file footage.
Quite anachronistic though, for that kind of car to have been used as the Paki President's car considering it was after 1947, when that car would've been made much before Pak was formed!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 20:57   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohammed Rafi's Premier still now with the family at Bandra, Mumbai- we have seen the first picture earlier, but here is a new one below it:

Name:  GAADI MEIN NIKLI APNI SAWAARI..RAFI SAABS CAR.JPG
Views: 4958
Size:  33.0 KB

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mohd-rafis-premier.jpg

Appears that the car was done up recently. MMU is a pre- 1980 registration, but the minus quarter glass on the fromnt window shows that it has been given a post - 1987 look. Quarter glasses in Premiers disappeared in 1987 for this model.

(FB posting)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th January 2014 at 21:00.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 23:11   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Shammi Kapoor with his Buick Super Eight (registration number: BMU 3009)

Name:  gal124.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  115.0 KB

(from the actor's website)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 09:33   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Quite anachronistic though, for that kind of car to have been used as the Paki President's car considering it was after 1947, when that car would've been made much before Pak was formed!
That's not the only anachronism in the movie. When the Indian delegation goes to Pakistan, they are ferried in a brand new Ambassador Nova. The year portrayed is 1960, while the Nova didn't arrive till 1989! A Mark 1 would have been more appropriate.

Also, when Milkha visits his ancestral village, he rides a Royal Enfield Desert Storm, a 2012 model! Not only is it anachronistic, RE tom-tommed it by giving away the keys to the bike in a public conference!

http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...1-1096678.aspx
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 23:36   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

The story of Shri Anand Bakshi's LUCKY 1964 Fiat Super Select as posted on his FB page by his son Shri Rakesh Bakshi :

[quote]
"You don't have to conform to the world around you."

"When my Dad went to purchase his first car, a FIAT 1964 model, a second hand car, the seller agreed to sell his car to my Dad at a discount, because my Dad said he was not a rich man and he had just began to get work in films as a song writer, and had asked the seller to lower the price a bit. Naturally, my Dad was excited he was finally going to buy his FIRST car! But...."

"When the seller agreed to sell his second hand car at a discounted price, my Dad said he will buy the car for sure but he will buy it only the next day, because he needs to think about his decision for just a night. He confessed, he is unable to decide if he should spend so much money on a car, even though its second hand, because his career had yet to take off!"

"The seller told him, "Listen man, if you buy my car tomorrow, the price will be a higher. I am not going to give you the discount I agreed to if you buy it tomorrow. The special price i have kindly agreed to is only because you are just starting in your career, but the discounted price is only valid if you buy the car today! Also, if i get another and better offer today, I will not wait for you until tomorrow! So take it or leave it!"

"Dad told the seller ".... by offering me a discount that is valid only for today, you cannot possibly force me to buy the car right away!; and if that is your condition, then i am willing to buy the car at a higher price, but I will buy it only after this day and night have passed. It may not be a big decision for you to sell your car, but its a huge decision for me to buy one, and for that I must think about it again, and for that I need a night! Whatever be the cost of my decision! Goodbye!""

""The very next day, my Dad purchased the same car, his first vehicle, this second hand FIAT car, at the higher price, without the discount! He never regretted buying it on his terms, even though there was a possibility it could have not been available the next day, having been sold to another buyer over night! He made this purchase sometime in 1966-69; My father believed, this FIAT car proved lucky for him!!!, because he was flooded with work from that year onwards, until the day he passed way in 2002, 650 films!!! .... 3500 songs!!! ,,,, we still have the car in our family, it was gifted to my sister Kavita in 2002.

"My father told me this story, and added - '...so don't let the world ever rush you for their needs alone; if you have to be rushed, rush yourself for your needs alone, or that of your family's...Believe in your values, believe in yourself." [unquote]

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-anandbakshi1964fiat.jpg

Shri Anand Bakshi seen alongside his car

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th January 2014 at 23:44.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 20:30   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Poet and film lyricist (also a singer) Shri Anand Bakshi Sahab's love sublime for his Fiat, in a poem:

Name:  ABFiatpoem.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  109.3 KB

(contributed by his son Shri Rakesh Bakshi on his FB page)
Old 24th January 2014, 20:47   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Kishore Kumar having tea with singer actor Sulakshana Pandit. What car is it? The rear quarter glass is a bit distorted at the lower right corner. Or else, we could have easily jumped to the conclusion that it is an Ambassador.
Even otherwise, please notice the upholstery between the two - quite Ambassador like - the original fabric sans any seat cover.

Name:  KKSulakshnaPandit.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  55.5 KB

(picture posted by Mr Gautam Dey on FB)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th January 2014 at 20:51.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 10:49   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Kishore Kumar having tea with singer actor Sulakshana Pandit. What car is it? The rear quarter glass is a bit distorted at the lower right corner. Or else, we could have easily jumped to the conclusion that it is an Ambassador.
Even otherwise, please notice the upholstery between the two - quite Ambassador like - the original fabric sans any seat cover.

Attachment 1195990

(picture posted by Mr Gautam Dey on FB)
In all likelihood it is an Amby, the original image may have been folded and this being a picture of the hard copy, also shows the distortion.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 18:44   #715
BHPian

The legendary Bengali actress Suchitra Sen passed away recently and The Telegraph newspaper printed a special feature on her on the 18th of January, 2014. It included this photo from a film shoot with Victoria Memorial in the background.

Both cars bear Bombay registrations. Do both survive and are they covered on this forum?

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-suchitrasenscars.jpg
mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 21:11   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Two prominent stars of yester-years:

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-mmu1067.jpg

A recent picture of Shri Mohammed Rafi's Premier MMU 1067 outside his residence Rafi Mansion, Bandra. His fan Shri Manoj Kumar Agrawal of Bangalore poses alongside the car.
(picture from his FB page)

Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars-ntramby.jpg

Shri N.T. Rama Rao posing for the picture with the children and an Ambassador.
(picture from the Telegu Desam party FB page)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th January 2014 at 21:15.
Old 9th March 2014, 12:02   #717
Senior - BHPian

how I wish I also had such assistance when my fintail stops on the road !

I loved this number as a kid! lovely convertible !

vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 20:17   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Thespian Shri Ashok Kumar, his wife (she predeceased him) and Shri Rajesh Khanna (then superstar)

Name:  DadamoniwifeRajeshkhanna.jpg
Views: 5392
Size:  46.1 KB

We have identified all the personalities, but haven't been able to identify the black car parked there.

Any guesses?

(picture by Mr Sadasivan K.M.)
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 21:24   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thespian Shri Ashok Kumar, his wife (she predeceased him) and Shri Rajesh Khanna (then superstar)

Attachment 1218566

We have identified all the personalities, but haven't been able to identify the black car parked there.

Any guesses?

(picture by Mr Sadasivan K.M.)
A Brit! A Hillman Minx possibly? Perchance, a Vauxhall Velox OR Wyvern?

Could be an American? A smaller DeSoto or Dodge, perhaps?

Cheers!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 18:13   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

An old picture featuring Ilayaraaja (on center) with elder brother Baskar and younger brother Gangai Amaran (sitting behind).

Name:  BaskarIllyarajaGangai Amaran.jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  40.9 KB

Another picture of Ilayaraja with his brothers.

Name:  BaskarIllyaraja younger bro.jpg
Views: 3197
Size:  37.2 KB

(Imprints and Images of Indian Film Music FB page)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th March 2014 at 18:16.