Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:20   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

There is an interesting article on the Cartier event in the March 09 issue of "The Automobile".

It mentiones that the green Lancia Dilambda was once the property of the Raja of Gonda

It says that this is a 1930 seven seater tourer with body by Viotti. It further states that within months of this car being imported into India the wire wheels had broken and after many replacements the Raja then approached Dunlop in England and ordered specail wheels and tyres which are still on the vehicle.

This means that these wheels are period accessories and not truck wheels as debated in this thread.

Also the fact that they are of the center lock type shows that they didn't come off a truck as the one for trucks were bolt on. There doesn't look like there are any wheel nut holes on these rims.

Would love to hear form our esteemed members on this angle.

The article also has a picture of a large Daimler and attributes its ownership to Earl Mountbatten.

Does anyone have pics and info on this car.The current owner is said to be a MR Tarik Gore.

Also can anyone who attended the event post a complete list of cars that participated ? Do we have pics of all the cars present for the event on this thread ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:26   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It further states that within months of this car being imported into India the wire wheels had broken and after many replacements the Raja then approached Dunlop in England and ordered specail wheels and tyres which are still on the vehicle.

This means that these wheels are period accessories and not truck wheels as debated in this thread.
Well that hopefully settles it. BTW an aunt is from Gonda, I should ask her about the car.

Quote:
Also can anyone who attended the event post a complete list of cars that participated ? Do we have pics of all the cars present for the event on this thread ?
Wasif I should think all cars were captured in pictures here. Infact you can tell the sequence of how they were arranged by the pictures

Last edited by DKG : 3rd March 2009 at 17:28.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:54   #78
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There is an interesting article on the Cartier event in the March 09 issue of "The Automobile".

It mentiones that the green Lancia Dilambda was once the property of the Raja of Gonda

It says that this is a 1930 seven seater tourer with body by Viotti. It further states that within months of this car being imported into India the wire wheels had broken and after many replacements the Raja then approached Dunlop in England and ordered specail wheels and tyres which are still on the vehicle.

This means that these wheels are period accessories and not truck wheels as debated in this thread.

Also the fact that they are of the center lock type shows that they didn't come off a truck as the one for trucks were bolt on. There doesn't look like there are any wheel nut holes on these rims.

Would love to hear form our esteemed members on this angle.

The article also has a picture of a large Daimler and attributes its ownership to Earl Mountbatten.

Does anyone have pics and info on this car.The current owner is said to be a Mr Tarik Gore.

Also can anyone who attended the event post a complete list of cars that participated ? Do we have pics of all the cars present for the event on this thread ?
Hi Wasif

You beat me to this.
I got the issue 3 days ago and have been doing some research to give a fitting reply. Why fitting? Because there are many inaccuracies in this article. And if one repeats an inaccurracy many times it somehow becomes the truth.
By the way, all the cars which were invited to the Cartier show are already pictured in this thread.
The Lancia is ex Gonda. The wheels are not original, I got this from the guy who put them on! I have not been in touch with him for 8 to 10 years, he was so shocked to hear that the car won a prize that he called me. And reconfirmed that its a story! ( About special wheels for desert use)
My Lancia of a very similar period and used for RACING!! has its original wheels, and this one of Gonda broke several times within months? And do Maharaja's approach a wheel maker? The owner sold his story very well and the judges swallowed it.
Then the story about the Daimler. This had been seen in the Mumbai Vintage scene since many years, particularly in the 1970's & 80's, again recently with many gaps inbetween. It belonged to Mr. Gore all along. It was the last Viceroy's car, who happened to have been Lord Mountbatten. Unfortunatley the car suffered, someone removed the original power steering. I understand that this has not yet been put back in original condition.
The author, Mr. Peter Stevens who was a judge is a friend of Mr Gore. He lobbied to get the car invited for the Cartier event. Attempt were made to contact Mr. Gore, but he never responded. I know, I got his number, tried to call him and sent SMS.
The article is called 'Cars of the Maharajas' so how did the Daimler fit in? A favour to a friend? As far as I know the Viceroy was not a Maharaja, nor was Mr. Gore.
He comments on the colour scheme of the Delage, labels it 'challenging'. But research was done, amongst others by Mr. Manvendra Singh and it was found that the Maharaja of Gwalior got her painted in gold and black. It is not specified which shade of gold, and there was a discussion with the judges. And it was here there was a goof up, to be blamed on the owner himself, the Delage should have got the resurrection prize, not the Bentley. The Delage was truly a resurrection in terms of the meaning of the word.
The article starts with black & white photographs taken from Manvendra Barwani's book and duly acknowledged. There are also photographs taken at the advent.
About winners, he only mentions the Delahaye, it would have been gracious if he had mentioned the Healey Westland of Mr. Asher. That car was a Maharaja car, and would have got 2 prizes if rules permitted.

The reason of being a little extra harsh on this article is the following para which I reproduce from The Automobile March 2009 issue:

'Having recently worked in Mumbai I was delighted to return to one of my favourite cities, although November is not the best time of year for an outdoor event here, as it is both hot and humid. The concours was staged on the lawns of the Turf Club, a location associated with horse racing since the time of the Raj. The calm of the venue contrasts with life on the streets of Mumbai where it is hot, humid, crowded, vibrant - a cosmopolitan hubbub. Roads are teeming with traffic, people, COWS, cops, and ELEPHANTS, yet pollution is low due to extensive use of LPG. Car culture is different in India. People tend to drive something that works and is easy to fix, so elegant old cars are rare and treasured.'

Capitals on cows & elephants are put by me to highlight what I felt is not required to be put in an article on Maharaja cars.

And now Cheers for the Maharajas and their Cars!

Last edited by harit : 3rd March 2009 at 17:58.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:44   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Wow this site really keeps me buzzing. Great people who have the widest of knowledge and love to share it.

Harith.

Thanks for the clarification on the Lancia Wheels. One wonders if this is so then why would the owner, who has obviously spent a ton of money restoting this car, couldnot or didnot want to go the extra mile and get the correct wheels imported.

The whole restoration is marred by thei one glaring detail that is not addressed.

If the wheels are not genuine then how did they manage to get the things to fit on the splined hub and fix the spinners on ?

The article is a little on the crazy side for sure, too many prejedices are showing

So waht is the story on the Earls Daimler. Is it a double six or a straight eight and i m surprised to hear it had power steering. It looks like it is from the 1920 so power steering ???
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:10   #80
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 4,281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Wasif

He comments on the colour scheme of the Delage, labels it 'challenging'. But research was done, amongst others by Mr. Manvendra Singh and it was found that the Maharaja of Gwalior got her painted in gold and black. It is not specified which shade of gold, and there was a discussion with the judges. And it was here there was a goof up, to be blamed on the owner himself, the Delage should have got the resurrection prize, not the Bentley. The Delage was truly a resurrection in terms of the meaning of the word.
Is the Delage an ex-Gwalior or ex-Holkar (Indore) car ? Cheers
travancore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 09:07   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Apparently there was a Gondia too which had a Raja. I think Gonda just had a zamindar family
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 09:29   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,624
Thanked: 8,066 Times
Default

The Tariq Gore car is pictured in this link, BMX 707. It was also used in the movie Gandhi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/779875-post17.html
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 09:51   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Tariq Gore car is pictured in this link, BMX 707. It was also used in the movie Gandhi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/779875-post17.html

What is it thought a double twelve or stratght eight and did it have power steering.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:04   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,624
Thanked: 8,066 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What is it thought a double twelve or stratght eight and did it have power steering.
Wow, a double twelve!


I think it was a straight eight, but not sure. Dont know too many details, though it did win prizes regularly. Even without the large central speedo in the dash!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:10   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

OOPS. I goofed up it should have read Double Six
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:59   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Is the Delage an ex-Gwalior or ex-Holkar (Indore) car ? Cheers
It is ex-Gwalior as per the owner.

Harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:04   #87
BHPian
 
MustangMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi/Indore
Posts: 230
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
It is ex-Gwalior as per the owner.

Harit
Its an ex-Indore car ie Holkar.
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:08   #88
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Its an ex-Indore car ie Holkar.
This was my understanding too, but since Harit spoke so confidently I felt perhaps he knew better !!

I feel there may also be some confusion about Gonda or Gondia. Perhaps someone could clarify the history of the Lancia too and about the wheels.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:41   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This was my understanding too, but since Harit spoke so confidently I felt perhaps he knew better !!

I feel there may also be some confusion about Gonda or Gondia. Perhaps someone could clarify the history of the Lancia too and about the wheels.

Sometimes, but only sometimes I do make mistakes, and this is the second time that I have mixed up Holkar and Gwalior. They are too near to each other. These things happen, so earlier I had mentioned that all I post is always subject to correction.

About the Lancia, the owner in his post of 22/02/09 has himself mentioned Gonda.

About the wheels I have commented, I rely on the statement to me of a former owner and who knows, this could also be subject to correction. Let us see what comes up.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:20   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Is there an official website for this event where one can get details on all the cars entered ?

Was there a Chrysler roadster also entered from Gondol ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 39 16th December 2015 00:57
2010 Rodeo Drive Concours D’Elegance, Beverly Hills kraft.wagen Beyond Borders 49 9th August 2011 03:28
Kuwait Concours d' Elegance Report peeve Beyond Borders 8 25th January 2010 14:16
Pre-Event discussion: India’s First International Concours D’Elegance ajmat Vintage Cars & Classics in India 45 5th November 2008 17:15
Greenwich Concours D'Elegance EDIT : Pictures added! vcash The International Automotive Scene 12 7th June 2007 10:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:28.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks