Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 11:14   #1666
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

While going through my mail archive I came across some pictures of this Mercedes W115 Binz ambulance which came up for sale in 2007 or so. I wonder what happened to the car. The complete pictures of the car I had posted many years ago here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1419422 (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India)

Here are some more pictures of the rear
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-005.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-010.jpg  

the mole is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 15:33   #1667
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,766
Thanked: 1,806 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Was this a local conversion ? anyone has an idea where this car is today

Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
While going through my mail archive I came across some pictures of this Mercedes W115 Binz ambulance which came up for sale in 2007 or so. I wonder what happened to the car. The complete pictures of the car I had posted many years ago here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1419422 (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India)

Here are some more pictures of the rear
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 15:54   #1668
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Was this a local conversion ? anyone has an idea where this car is today

Cheers
This is an absolutely 100% original Mercedes 115 Ambulance made by the German body builder "Binz" see the photo of a dinky car of the same model.
This car was somewhere around Udupi. Now I have no idea where its gone. But a nice car to have if anyone's collecting W115s.
Attached Images
 
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 18:20   #1669
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is an absolutely 100% original Mercedes 115 Ambulance made by the German body builder "Binz" see the photo of a dinky car of the same model.
This car was somewhere around Udupi. Now I have no idea where its gone. But a nice car to have if anyone's collecting W115s.
Hey Mole, If you take a close look and compare the 2 pics its seems to be a decent effort at a replica and not the original binz. Going under the knife for terminal plastic surgery may be possible but improbable = seems like a local or international copy

Last edited by canonball : 4th July 2014 at 18:45.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 18:42   #1670
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hey Mole, If you take a close look and compare the 2 pics its seems to be a decent effort at a replica and not the original bins. Going under the knife for terminal plastic surgery may be possible but improbable = seems like a local or inter nation copy
It may be a desi replica. But look at the inside partition area where the spare wheel is stored etc. They are die pressed. Not sure a local job would go through the effort. But a interesting car nevertheless.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 16:25   #1671
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 484
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
While going through my mail archive I came across some pictures of this Mercedes W115 Binz ambulance which came up for sale in 2007 or so. I wonder what happened to the car. The complete pictures of the car I had posted many years ago here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1419422 (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India)

Here are some more pictures of the rear
There is one of these at M Block Market, GK1 here in Delhi. I haven't been there in a while, but I can take a picture the next time I see it. It was in a state of disrepair the last time I saw it.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 19:11   #1672
Senior - BHPian
 
vinay kamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MUMBAIBANGALORE
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,207 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

an early w123
http://pune.olx.in/mercedes-benz-iid-674547035
Attached Images
 
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 22:26   #1673
Senior - BHPian
 
vinay kamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MUMBAIBANGALORE
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,207 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

"This is a '54 Mercedes-Benz Ponton, the only mercedes body style (ponton) to have a 3 segment body assembly.
This particular car belonged to HRH The Princess Of Nepal and has had it's engine completely overhauled after which has travelled only 1000 Kms.
The car has brand new upholstered seats and new Tires.
The car even has the two factory full size spares that it came with.
It comes with a column shifter and a 1.8L Petrol engine producing 50 Bhp.
Life Time tax paid."


the link: http://kolkata.olx.in/1954-mercedesb...-iid-679048102
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-06.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-01.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-03.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-05.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-04.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w120-07.jpg  

Attached Images
 
vinay kamath is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 22:36   #1674
Senior - BHPian
 
vinay kamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MUMBAIBANGALORE
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,207 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

"30 year old rare Mercedes Benz 240 diesel (3.0L)
Grand, luxurious saloon that is one of a kind. #1 choice to impress!!
Only 1 owner. Model w123 3.0L diesel purchased in and imported from Germany by Indian high commissioner Extremely spacious, sturdy limousine with wooden trims, canvas headlining, leather seats, climate control and Radio Fully original parts.
Will only accept reasonable offers for this majestic car Regularly serviced. Seldom driven."

THE LINK: http://noida-uttarpradesh.olx.in/rar...-iid-678979843
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w123-03.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w123-04.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w123-02.jpg  

Attached Images
 
vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 00:18   #1675
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
"30 year old rare Mercedes Benz 240 diesel (3.0L)
Grand, luxurious saloon that is one of a kind. #1 choice to impress!!
Only 1 owner. Model w123 3.0L diesel purchased in and imported from Germany by Indian high commissioner Extremely spacious, sturdy limousine with wooden trims, canvas headlining, leather seats, climate control and Radio Fully original parts.
Will only accept reasonable offers for this majestic car Regularly serviced. Seldom driven."

THE LINK: http://noida-uttarpradesh.olx.in/rar...-iid-678979843
Never heard of a 240D having a 3.0 motor ! Please clarify
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 11:54   #1676
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
"This is a '54 Mercedes-Benz Ponton, the only mercedes body style (ponton) to have a 3 segment body assembly.
This particular car belonged to HRH The Princess Of Nepal and has had it's engine completely overhauled after which has travelled only 1000 Kms.
The car has brand new upholstered seats and new Tires.
The car even has the two factory full size spares that it came with.
It comes with a column shifter and a 1.8L Petrol engine producing 50 Bhp.
Life Time tax paid."


the link: http://kolkata.olx.in/1954-mercedesb...-iid-679048102
This car was on sale more than a year ago and advertized in Auto India etc but probably did not sell. I spoke to the owner. Remember him telling something to the effect that there were no papers for the car...probably why its not finding a home :(
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 10:42   #1677
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
"This is a '54 Mercedes-Benz Ponton, the only mercedes body style (ponton) to have a 3 segment body assembly.
This particular car belonged to HRH The Princess Of Nepal and has had it's engine completely overhauled after which has travelled only 1000 Kms.
The car has brand new upholstered seats and new Tires.
The car even has the two factory full size spares that it came with.
It comes with a column shifter and a 1.8L Petrol engine producing 50 Bhp.
Life Time tax paid."


the link: http://kolkata.olx.in/1954-mercedesb...-iid-679048102
This car was bought and restored by a well known Calcutta car collector and a friend of my father's. A commendable restoration of the body since it was in a really sorry state when the owner acquired it. This car has the first series side valve 1.8 litre engine in it, a carryover from the 170 series.

It had a lot of interior bits missing and I gave uncle a spare speedo cluster that I had which is in this car. The hubcaps were made by him from originals that I loaned for reference.

I hope the next owner can source the correct bumper guards for the car.
mbz180 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 10:54   #1678
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
It had a lot of interior bits missing and I gave uncle a spare speedo cluster that I had which is in this car. The hubcaps were made by him from originals that I loaned for reference.
The hubcaps for an earlier Ponton like this should have the smaller logo on the hubcaps, right? Either ways, a pleasing looking car, a great addition to any collection, especially since it is such an early car.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 11:35   #1679
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The hubcaps for an earlier Ponton like this should have the smaller logo on the hubcaps, right? Either ways, a pleasing looking car, a great addition to any collection, especially since it is such an early car.
You're absolutely right, they should be the smaller logo type like on Amol's car. But the owner could not source them. There are a lot of bits in the interior which are not correct; hopefully the new owner car attend to all of this.
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 02:44   #1680
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,692
Thanked: 3,097 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Here is how cars (some also without a Tri-Star) trek to Nepal. The National Geographic picture has been posted before.

Name:  Nepal Car Carrying.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  Nepal Mercedes.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  Nepal Mercedes2.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  29.5 KB

If you really want to see how they travel, watch this:


Last edited by travancore : 23rd July 2014 at 02:48.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2657 5th December 2016 18:24
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 617 19th September 2016 18:25
Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India bluestraveller Vintage Cars & Classics in India 33 7th April 2015 14:17
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks