Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

a Vintage car rally before the Grand Prix
Attached Images

vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 21:15   #1697
Senior - BHPian

what is the background of this Mercedes? & with unusual registration number..'MXT' series. American Spec headlights. but RHD !
Attached Images

Last edited by vinay kamath : 25th August 2014 at 21:17.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:58   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
what is the background of this Mercedes? & with unusual registration number..'MXT' series. American Spec headlights. but RHD !
If you do some research, this car was resurrected from near scrap. I thing I saw it in an article in the Hindu some time back. MXT is an old bombay reg.

The lights are not necessarily american spec. As a schoolboy in the UK, there was an industrialist Mr Ward near my house who used to change his Merc every year. He had a lime green one with these lights, next car was a w114 where the light reflectors were designed for halogens. (as an aside, he had a stunning wife (former secretary) but alas a ghastly daughter!)

The US version had twin sealed beams. Federal regulation were anal about the dimension of the headlight. Witness how the Citroens and Peugeots , W114 front ends were butchered to accommodate those lights. The Euro version normally incorporated a headlight and a foglight. The pseudo US version that you see picture was the long distance driving package and contained a headlight and a supplementary driving light. I remember seeing this in the Mercedes options brochure (man, that was a thick book!)
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 11:17   #1699
Team-BHP Support

When trawling for more details on the above w108, I found a nice article on Gundu Rao's w116 Merc 280SE.

Where is it now?

http://www.thehindu.com/lf/2005/04/2...2901280200.htm

Last edited by ajmat : 26th August 2014 at 11:45.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 20:17   #1700
Senior - BHPian

an elegant 1960 Ponton in Kerala .

http://kozhikode.olx.in/1960-mercede...-iid-698520923

"1960 Mercedes Benz Ponton 190D Diesel

Right Hand Drive.
Steering Column Gear shifter
Runs in Good Condition (hardly any smoke)
All Gauges and Meters working fine.
Diesel
approx 14 km as max mileage
approx max speed 110 kmph
Air Conditioned.
Floor Mats in position.
* 4 Original Wheel Cups (not in the photograph)
* Front Emblem (not in the photograph)"
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p3.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p4.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p5.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p6.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p7.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p8.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p9.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-p10.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 26th August 2014 at 20:18.
vinay kamath is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 20:23   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
When trawling for more details on the above w108, I found a nice article on Gundu Rao's w116 Merc 280SE.

Where is it now?

http://www.thehindu.com/lf/2005/04/2...2901280200.htm
the car is with Gundu Rao's son's family at Bangalore. original piece.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:04   #1702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

""
While the bodywork is immaculate, Pontons did not have any indicator lights below the headlights. The interiors are not original and are from a a new model.

32L is a bit too high that too if one needs to source the original interiors

Quote:
the car is with Gundu Rao's son's family at Bangalore. original piece.
Am not surprised. GR was very sentimental about the car. The number 9 was his birth number
Old 27th August 2014, 09:25   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
While the bodywork is immaculate, Pontons did not have any indicator lights below the headlights.
That's incorrect; as far as I can remember, some Pontons did sport side lights/indicator lights below the headlights. Although they were oval (and domed/conical in profile), unlike these in the pic above.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 10:21   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Prabal & Ajmat bhai ,

in the early past, my friends, the Ramans' beige 200 fintail (1964) in Jayamahal had these indicators lights below the headlights.

but, my fintail 190 (1963 & 1965) did not.

most probably, the seats in the Ponton are actually of w123.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:21   #1705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
That's incorrect; as far as I can remember, some Pontons did sport side lights/indicator lights below the headlights. Although they were oval (and domed/conical in profile), unlike these in the pic above.
Only some of the later 220's had these and not the humble 190 but again different countries had their own regulations.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:26   #1706
Senior - BHPian

like this one !

link:http://www.quoka.de/auto-specials/ol...964-mit-h.html
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2014, 15:37   #1707
BHPian

Quote:

"1960 Mercedes Benz Ponton 190D Diesel
Quote:
While the bodywork is immaculate, Pontons did not have any indicator lights below the headlights. The interiors are not original and are from a new model.
I presume the owner must be quite passionate about the car, seeing the almost totally non-original wood interiors (the steering wheel, gear selector and speedo cluster are original). From the parts in the photo that are visible, the bakelite panels seem to have been replaced with wood. The seats are from cars of 3 or 4 generations later, but not likely from a Merc. Those lights under the headlamps are from a Fintail 190 or 200. However, all US spec Pontons did have indicators under the headlamps of a much different type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Quite right, all US spec Pontons had turn signals (indicators) under the headlamps which were, as you describe them, conical in shape. They are referred to as "beehive" lenses.

Quote:
Only some of the later 220's had these and not the humble 190 but again different countries had their own regulations.
All Pontons including 180/190 and the 6 cylinders in sedan, coupe and cabrio form, headed to the US, had indicators under the head lamps. Many Pontons in the US were Euro spec cars which were shipped to the US by returning American army officers. They had bought Pontons at discounted rates during the 50s. Later, owners had to install the beehive lenses on these cars as well to comply with US regulations.

BTW, the wipers arms, headlamps and windshield rubber seals are not original. Between these parts, if you were to replace them with new original pieces (they are available from Mercedes and a few other vendors), you're looking at a bill of (trust me, I know) approx...here goes... 60k! You want the entire interior back to original then you're looking at shelling out 15% of the asking price for the car

Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 29th August 2014 at 15:46.
mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:09   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I presume the owner must be quite passionate about the car, seeing the almost totally non-original wood interiors (the steering wheel, gear selector and speedo cluster are original). From the parts in the photo that are visible, the bakelite panels seem to have been replaced with wood.
Prithvi
Dear Prithvi, well explained however I think this is a Left right convert car. 90% of the cars where the original dashboard is missing or tampered are converts. I know of some cars lying around in Bombay which this has happened. As you know its very difficult to source RHD dashboard parts for a Ponton so the quick fix is just make the whole thing in wood. regards Amol

Last edited by the mole : 1st September 2014 at 13:10.
the mole is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:32   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Prithvi, well explained however I think this is a Left right convert car. 90% of the cars where the original dashboard is missing or tampered are converts. I know of some cars lying around in Bombay which this has happened. As you know its very difficult to source RHD dashboard parts for a Ponton so the quick fix is just make the whole thing in wood. regards Amol
Amol,

You may be right about the convert part except for one point that arose from observation on this car-the column mounted gear stick is on the correct side for a RHD car and it is the opposite configuration from the LHD cars. If it is a convert, why would the person take the trouble of moving the gear stick to the correct side instead of leaving it on the right side; after all, it wouldn't have been a problem driving with the stick on the right side and switching sides couldn't have been simple. The other possibility could be that he went to the trouble of switching the entire steering column altogether.

The best way to find out the original configuration of course would be the chassis no. itself !
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 13:48   #1710
BHPian

A very wet Tweety flew in this morning with the news that Mercedes is planning a vintage and classic mercedes drive on the 8th/9th of November in Bombay.

They are reaching out to owners, perhaps the rare occasion when mercedes is running behind owners rather than the other way around, as anyone having dealt with them will confirm

Anyone going?
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote