Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 18:18   #556
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
well badge on its rear says 200D
hehe I have seen 220D's allso the local industry is experts at graftings D's after removing S
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 19:08   #557
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Mole, Sometimes the S are available very cheap, even though they are very much restorable. Heres one that may surprise you in USA.
Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series:eBay Motors (item 250551236654 end time Dec-26-09 13:44:28 PST) at Dirt cheap.
And this one ready in all respects!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
But a converted cabrio, though a RHD!!

Last edited by scooby05 : 27th December 2009 at 19:11.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 23:12   #558
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Mole, Sometimes the S are available very cheap, even though they are very much restorable. Heres one that may surprise you in USA.
Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series:eBay Motors (item 250551236654 end time Dec-26-09 13:44:28 PST) at Dirt cheap.
And this one ready in all respects!
Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series:eBay Motors (item 130353588059 end time Dec-26-09 23:57:58 PST)
But a converted cabrio, though a RHD!!
Oh I agree since the recession hit the US prices of classics specially unrestored ones has dropped dramatically. Now if only we could somehow import these beauties.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 03:51   #559
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,446
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
oh ok, thanks for correcting me v16 sir and star-man, are spares becoming difficult to source for the vintage mercs?

a few pics of a 180 ponton i spotted a while back:
The 180 Ponton is awsome , I remember the Ponton which was used by Arch Bishop of thrissur
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:40   #560
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 86
Thanked: 20 Times
Default 110/200d

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Again there was no 200D only 190D in the fintype series so check whether the engine is original, Believe it or not I have even come accross dieselised 220S's where the owners were arguing with me how diesel engines were original to the 6 cylinder bodytypes (sic)
Hai,
sorry don't agree with you sir, the 110/200D(fintail) was produced from 1965 to 1968, engine designation OM615.This was the first diesel engine from Mercedes with five main bearings and was a huge improvement from the 190 D three main bearing engines, very smooth running and comparatively silent.These engines with cyl.head and fuel injection system modifications remained in production till 1985 in the 123 series.The 240D/OM616,300D/OM617 are from the same family of engines.
The KLY fintail in the pics was originally a twin carb/4cyl.petrol/200, used to belong to a coir export company from Shertallay,.In the old days, this was one of the finest fintails around,dark blue black colour and the gleaming chrome used to be a real headturner.Was sold to someone near Trivandrum and was converted with a Mercedes diesel engine.The car was advertised for sale and I did take a look,was not to my taste and I did not make an offer.This car has some 115 interior parts, must be the last of the fintails.A friends father had a similiar 1968/110/200 with the same fittings and was an original floor shift.
Cheers,
SG
sunilgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 01:10   #561
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 916 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Again there was no 200D only 190D in the fintype series so check whether the engine is original, Believe it or not I have even come accross dieselised 220S's where the owners were arguing with me how diesel engines were original to the 6 cylinder bodytypes (sic)
Amol there was a W110 200d.
There was the 190 c and 190 D c from 1961-1965.
The 200 and 200 D from 1965-1968
The 230 and 230 S also from 1965-1968.

Refered from the Book Mercedes-Benz Personenwagen 1886 to 1986 by Werner Oswald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
Hai,
sorry don't agree with you sir, the 110/200D(fintail) was produced from 1965 to 1968, engine designation OM615.This was the first diesel engine from Mercedes with five main bearings and was a huge improvement from the 190 D three main bearing engines, very smooth running and comparatively silent.These engines with cyl.head and fuel injection system modifications remained in production till 1985 in the 123 series.The 240D/OM616,300D/OM617 are from the same family of engines.
The KLY fintail in the pics was originally a twin carb/4cyl.petrol/200, used to belong to a coir export company from Shertallay,.In the old days, this was one of the finest fintails around,dark blue black colour and the gleaming chrome used to be a real headturner.Was sold to someone near Trivandrum and was converted with a Mercedes diesel engine.The car was advertised for sale and I did take a look,was not to my taste and I did not make an offer.This car has some 115 interior parts, must be the last of the fintails.A friends father had a similiar 1968/110/200 with the same fittings and was an original floor shift.
Cheers,
SG
, but the only thing in question is the book states the engine designation for the W110/200D (Fintail) as OM 621 VIII

Refered from the above mentioned book.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:57   #562
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Saw this Merc in my Garage... Fitted with a Bajaj Tempo engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dsc01207.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dsc01208.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:20   #563
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,195
Thanked: 1,308 Times
Default

Arun,
This is an early/mid 70s W115 Merc. Common to find these Dieselised!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 20:34   #564
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

It was a common trend of people to fit these engines from the original petrol engines to make driving the car more economical.But Mercs are know to be very economical cars even with the petrol engines compared to the other cars and specially compared to the american cars.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:52   #565
BHPian
 
calrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: mangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

heres few pics of a fintail
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-image006.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-image009.jpg  

calrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:01   #566
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Nice looking Fintail but more interesting is that big vintage sedan to be seen in the background. Any idea what car it is, also please see if you can get pics of it and post them too.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:58   #567
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,359
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Saw this Merc in my Garage... Fitted with a Bajaj Tempo engine.
OMG 616 engine, the tempo engine is again a copy of a mercedes engine.

Last edited by manishalive : 3rd January 2010 at 13:03.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:32   #568
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice looking Fintail but more interesting is that big vintage sedan to be seen in the background. Any idea what car it is, also please see if you can get pics of it and post them too.
The car behind the Fintail may be a 2CV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
OMG 616 engine, the tempo engine is again a copy of a mercedes engine.
As we all know, Mercedes-Benz formed a joint venture in the 1950's and manufactured commercial vehicles. The collaboration agreement expired, thereafter Mercedes were only a stake holder. The next project was the Tempo Traveller which was set up for Bajaj Tempo and not Telco. For the Traveller they produced this engine many of which found their way into Mercedes passenger cars when these cars were dieselised. You cannot describe these engines as copies, the collaboration or transfer of technology, whatever agreement they had, was official.

BTW, totally , but very very relevant, I am using multiple quotes so as not to increase my number of posts unnecessarily. There must be a distinction between the number of posts and their quality!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:58   #569
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,359
Thanked: 524 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
As we all know, Mercedes-Benz formed a joint venture in the 1950's and manufactured commercial vehicles. The collaboration agreement expired, thereafter Mercedes were only a stake holder. The next project was the Tempo Traveller which was set up for Bajaj Tempo and not Telco. For the Traveller they produced this engine many of which found their way into Mercedes passenger cars when these cars were dieselised. You cannot describe these engines as copies, the collaboration or transfer of technology, whatever agreement they had, was official.
Haritji,

Thanks for correction, I meant the same.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:49   #570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
heres few pics of a fintail
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The car behind the Fintail may be a 2CV.
Harit, I'm afraid that doesn't look like a 2CV, although it's understandable why you think so - the sharply-sloping rear shape could appear 'somewhat similar', although not the proportions, at first glance. To me it appears more like a high-end British marque, maybe a mid to late 40s Bentley.

By the way, there's another car, a real vintage, also next to it.

Happy New Year to you and all!

Last edited by Prabal : 3rd January 2010 at 19:50.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2657 5th December 2016 18:24
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 617 19th September 2016 18:25
Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India bluestraveller Vintage Cars & Classics in India 33 7th April 2015 14:17
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks