Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 16th December 2010, 11:38   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Everyone, Took this 1961 220S .............. May do some work on it, especially the body. The car is generally complete though. Regards Prithvi
Hi Prithvi,

This car has a clean bodyline. You will have to do some tin work, suggest that you personally be there when they touch the rear fenders. Many many such cars, even 114's and 115's have been ruined because the rear fender was not done properly and sloped down towards the rear. Take care of this.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 11:59   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes Indeed the car looks quite original, are you sure this is the first series fintype 1961 220S though and not a 220. We hope to see a restoration thread on this soon.

Amol,

The non "S" 220 & 230 didn't come with the long headlamps and extra chrome trim like the double bumpers, as far as I know. The car's chassis plate confirms it to be a 1961 220Sb.

Harit,

I was wondering, aren't fintail rear quarter panels actually supposed to curve in and slop back slightly when you view them from the front or back? How do I take care of this (if it's an issue) during the body work?

Regards
Prithvi

Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 16th December 2010 at 12:05. Reason: response to another post
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:01   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The non "S" 220 & 230 didn't come with the long headlamps and extra chrome trim like the double bumpers, as far as I know.
Prithvi as far as the headlights go only 200and 190 had round headlights, I am not sure if there was a difference in the external trim. I will post photos from my reference.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:12   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Prithvi,

This car has a clean bodyline. You will have to do some tin work, suggest that you personally be there when they touch the rear fenders. Many many such cars, even 114's and 115's have been ruined because the rear fender was not done properly and sloped down towards the rear. Take care of this.

Cheers harit
Hi All,

I've been having a problem with the 220S while driving. After she warms up, in 3rd and 4th gears, the engine starts to misfire and though the engine revs rise, the speed of the car falls. I have put in a new clutch but very little improvement. If I then go back to neutral and then back into gear, she runs ok for a while. Any idea what the problem could be? Fuel starvation maybe? My mechanic tells me that it's due to very low compression and that the engine needs a rebuild.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 16th December 2010, 16:18   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi as far as the headlights go only 200and 190 had round headlights, I am not sure if there was a difference in the external trim. I will post photos from my reference.
Amol,

According to this Heckflosse site The 220, 220S and 220SE models, the 220 and 230 had single headlamps and came minus the extra chrome trim. The tail lamps are also simpler, plus the bonnet length was shorter than the "S" models.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 16th December 2010, 16:25   #996

Hi there,

I have a 61 Finnie which has been stuck for quite some time in Bangalore. Can anybody recommend a good workshop where I could restore the Finnie in Bangalore? Perhaps even Mysore?

thanks!
Boban
wilkie366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 18:10   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amol,

The non "S" 220 & 230 didn't come with the long headlamps and extra chrome trim like the double bumpers, as far as I know.

Regards
Prithvi
You are right and wrong, to the best of my meager knowledge

Right because the 230 did come with the round headlights like in the 190/200, for a very very short while, in fact it was an underspec 220 with a rear like the 190/200

Wrong because the 220 never came with anything but straight long headlights. I will stand corrected on basis of strict proof.

Even the 220 came with a straight six as in the 230.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 18:23   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You are right and wrong, to the best of my meager knowledge

Right because the 230 did come with the round headlights like in the 190/200, for a very very short while, in fact it was an underspec 220 with a rear like the 190/200

Wrong because the 220 never came with anything but straight long headlights. I will stand corrected on basis of strict proof.

Even the 220 came with a straight six as in the 230.
Hmmm. I suspect your right. Maybe the 220 had long headlamps. What about my running problem with the 220S? Any idea about what it could be?
Old 16th December 2010, 18:47   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I've been having a problem with the 220S while driving. After she warms up, in 3rd and 4th gears, the engine starts to misfire and though the engine revs rise, the speed of the car falls. I have put in a new clutch but very little improvement. If I then go back to neutral and then back into gear, she runs ok for a while. Any idea what the problem could be? Fuel starvation maybe? My mechanic tells me that it's due to very low compression and that the engine needs a rebuild.

Regards
Prithvi

Prithvi, this could be a very simple problem of the distributor condenser. and/or point. Its a small part and is probably available too.

Im surprised that your mechanic recommended you to change the clutch for misfiring. Further on he goes to say that the engine needs a rebuild, maybe it does but these symptoms do not in any way reflect that.

What i would do? Id check the carburetor, (if its an "S" it should have twin carbs) then the condenser and the ignition timing and change my mechanic asap.

No way an engine rebuild.

Last edited by V-16 : 16th December 2010 at 18:49.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:56   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi, this could be a very simple problem of the distributor condenser. and/or point. Its a small part and is probably available too.

Im surprised that your mechanic recommended you to change the clutch for misfiring. Further on he goes to say that the engine needs a rebuild, maybe it does but these symptoms do not in any way reflect that.

What i would do? Id check the carburetor, (if its an "S" it should have twin carbs) then the condenser and the ignition timing and change my mechanic asap.

No way an engine rebuild.
The mechanic who started the car up indeed has not enough experience to tackle problems for this car.

Are you sure he has checked the timing of the engine properly and given the required gaps in points and the plugs? Don't think he knows how much gap to give. Also ask him to see if all the plugs are firing and get the firing order correct.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:39   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The mechanic who started the car up indeed has not enough experience to tackle problems for this car.

Are you sure he has checked the timing of the engine properly and given the required gaps in points and the plugs? Don't think he knows how much gap to give. Also ask him to see if all the plugs are firing and get the firing order correct.
Hi Indrojit,

This mechanic is very experienced when it comes to old cars. Over his career, he has rebuilt engines of my Austin 8 Tourer, Morris Minor, Standard 2000 and Jaguars, Studebakers, Fords and Chevrolets and Dodges. Will check on the distributor and gaps. Plugs are ok, and the condensor is new. The twin Solexs have been rebuilt, but the car overheats quite badly. Am going for an engine rebuild.

Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 17th December 2010 at 11:39. Reason: Spelling error
Old 17th December 2010, 12:33   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the car overheats quite badly. Am going for an engine rebuild.
Prithvi as Gogi put it, all may not have been lost! Check the head Gasket first if that has been blown? Is she firing on all cylinders? generally loss of compression would mean that the car may be firing on less than 6cylinders. Is there traces of engine oil inside your radiator water? Avoid running the car in this condition you may crack the head!
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 13:43   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Indrojit,
The twin Solexs have been rebuilt, but the car overheats quite badly. Am going for an engine rebuild.
Hmmmm. you didn't point out that the car was overheating badly. Anyways as you are bent on rebuilding the engine i would suggest you rule out all the possibilities that could lead to the problems that are arising.

As i said earlier, maybe your engine does need a rebuild, but still the symptoms mentioned above by you do not point in that way necessarily.

I have had a Holly carburetor rebuild by a legend who got it all wrong, we had to rebuild it thrice before it was any good, what im saying is dismiss the other smaller possibilities first. Easiest, get a compression test done on the engine. Dont expect factory ratings as the car is really aged but it will tell you if the car does need an engine rebuild that much.

Check the timing and gaps as Indrojit said, check for oil on the plugs and the condition of the gasket and finally the compression test. Only when you are confident of a rebuild being the only option then open your engine but before that gather all the parts you will need, rings/pistons, gaskets etc etc.

I hope its just a small issue and not a rebuild situation.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:36   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Indeed the car looks quite original, are you sure this is the first series fintype 1961 220S though and not a 220. We hope to see a restoration thread on this soon.
Amol, You asking this? See the extra chrome on the rear and the big lights in the front and its a sure 220S na.
Sorry I got this message too late, its already discussed

Last edited by scooby05 : 17th December 2010 at 14:41. Reason: was late, saw the 2nd page and replied.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 15:11   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm. you didn't point out that the car was overheating badly. Anyways as you are bent on rebuilding the engine i would suggest you rule out all the possibilities that could lead to the problems that are arising.

As i said earlier, maybe your engine does need a rebuild, but still the symptoms mentioned above by you do not point in that way necessarily.

I have had a Holly carburetor rebuild by a legend who got it all wrong, we had to rebuild it thrice before it was any good, what im saying is dismiss the other smaller possibilities first. Easiest, get a compression test done on the engine. Dont expect factory ratings as the car is really aged but it will tell you if the car does need an engine rebuild that much.

Check the timing and gaps as Indrojit said, check for oil on the plugs and the condition of the gasket and finally the compression test. Only when you are confident of a rebuild being the only option then open your engine but before that gather all the parts you will need, rings/pistons, gaskets etc etc.

I hope its just a small issue and not a rebuild situation.

Hi Gogi,

Yes the car overheats in 15 minutes of driving it. She leaks engine oil from all over, and the first few times I drove it she was running on 5 cylinders. After advancing the timing, she started working on all 6 cylinders. Whitish smoke when hot. She also has a socket on No.1 cylinder, as I suspect that the spark plug was getting oil. No oil in the radiator water though. Even checked for the inbuilt thermostat valve, but this is already missing, so that's ruled out. Of course rebuilding is the last option, especially since parts are going to cost approx 50k just for the engine rebuild

Regards
Prithvi