Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 26th August 2009, 21:40   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Most people are not aware of what came OE on these Jeeps and end up with something that is far from original.

Does your jeep have the auto fire extinguisher that fits on the inside of the bonnet pointed at the carb?
Wow Wasif, thats news to me. I never even knew of something like that. Can you please tell us what are the accessories that are getting difficult or even impossible to find. Can you back it up with pics so that we know what you are talking about. I say this coz im following up a Ford WW-II MB which i have come to know of. I don't know whether i will succeed in getting it but still. Also just for knowledge or curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I have got the Owners manual for Low bonnet Willys left hand drive Jeep (says willy's overland inc.) I think that is of early one that were sold by Mahindra.
Did Mahindra sell Low bonnets?? I think not Manish.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 21:42   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Aye aye chief!

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but would this be a WW2 jeep??
Yes it is a WW-II Jeep and "Aye Aye" mat karr. Jaldi karr, late ho gaya toh Hai Hai na karna pad jayega.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 22:33   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oye Paaji they did assembled low bonnet. I will scan the manual for the benifit of community.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 23:45   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is a WW-II Jeep and "Aye Aye" mat karr. Jaldi karr, late ho gaya toh Hai Hai na karna pad jayega.
Sirji, aap jab mereku $pon$or karne ku tayyar hain, mein jab ka jab-ich gaadi ku uTha lethoon!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 20:02   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow Wasif, thats news to me. I never even knew of something like that. Can you please tell us what are the accessories that are getting difficult or even impossible to find. Can you back it up with pics so that we know what you are talking about. I say this coz im following up a Ford WW-II MB which i have come to know of. I don't know whether i will succeed in getting it but still. Also just for knowledge or curiosity.

Sir.

You will indeed be surprised as to what the Ford GPW's / Willys MB's came equiped with.

I have done a good bit of research on these and trust me its well nigh Impossible to do a complete restoration on a Ford GPW. You could get away with it on a Willys MB but not on a Ford as each and every part would have to have the stylised "F" monogram on it to make it original.

There was one jeep in Hyd which was lmost there APR 33. There are pics of it on this website somewhere and Dominator can tell more on it. One of the most original Jeeps I have ever seen in India.

The under bonnet extinguisher was on the left side of the bonnet when standing in front pointed at the carb. It used to have a glass bubble filled with alcohol in it that would blow at a certain temprature to set off teh extinguisher. This is apart from the normal brass extinguisher to be found on the side of the drivers left leg.

Try finding these or for that matter the steering bellcrank with the needle bearings, the "C"shackles on the leafsprings or the helper spring on teh front drivers side today.

The gas tank had a funnel built into the mouth that could be pulled up to help you pour gas from a Jerry can ever seen one ?

Then we come to teh earthing straps that were used on each part of the car to supress radio interference, how many Jeeps still have them or how many people know about them or about the rectangular radio supressors mounted under a cover on the firewall behind the dash.

How about the starps with the hooks that went in place of the doors and would latch onto the eye ring on the edges of the dash.

There should be three big plates on the glove box with the specs etc, a smaller plate near the handbrake handle and a round plate behind the headlamp swith indicating the various positions. How many Jeeps have these.

I could go on and on. How about the push button locks on the rear storage compartments on the rear wheelarches, the axe and shovel on the drivers side, the map reading light that mounts on ther steering column etc etc etc....

One thing I still don't know what it was for was a small rectangular box on the inside body under teh passenger seat which had a pipe with cables coming out of it. This box bolted to the body side with four bolts and can be seen on APR 33 and some others.

Will search the net for pics of these and post shortly.
wasif is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 22:29   #291
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sir.

You will indeed be surprised as to what the Ford GPW's / Willys MB's came equiped with.

I have done a good bit of research on these and trust me its well nigh Impossible to do a complete restoration on a Ford GPW. You could get away with it on a Willys MB but not on a Ford as each and every part would have to have the stylised "F" monogram on it to make it original.

Try finding these or for that matter the steering bellcrank with the needle bearings, the "C"shackles on the leafsprings or the helper spring on teh front ...........
One thing I still don't know what it was for was a small rectangular box on the inside body under teh passenger seat which had a pipe with cables coming out of it. This box bolted to the body side with four bolts and can be seen on APR 33 and some others.

Will search the net for pics of these and post shortly.
The number of original feature's are interesting. I would like to think APR33 is probably one of two of the most original Jeeps in India. The other being a Jeep in Bangalore.

I believe APR33 used to have the under bonnet extinguisher, but it was removed before it left hyd. As for the other features i think APR33 has -
- The 'C' shackles on the leaf springs and the helper spring, the gas tank funnel, the earthing straps (not sure abot the radio supressor), the 'door' straps, which i think are NOS parts, glove box plates and headlight switch plates. But its missing the handbrake plate which i hav never seen before, push button locks, axe shovel, etc and the map light mounted on the steering wheel. Now as far i know these are all originals.

In Addition to this the Jeep also has the original cranking handle (mounted behind the rear seat), the original foot pump, working plug and socket with a bantam trailer and foot starter. Another addition is the flexible/collapsible radio antenna with the original cermaic mounts. There's a couple of other bits on there wich were mostly accersories depending on areas in which the Jeeps served.

Here's the only picture of APR33 i could find. Will look for others.
Attached Images

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 27th August 2009 at 22:30.
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 23:05   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
The number of original feature's are interesting. I would like to think APR33 is probably one of two of the most original Jeeps in India. The other being a Jeep in Bangalore.

I believe APR33 used to have the under bonnet extinguisher, but it was removed before it left hyd. As for the other features i think APR33 has -
- The 'C' shackles on the leaf springs and the helper spring, the gas tank funnel, the earthing straps (not sure abot the radio supressor), the 'door' straps, which i think are NOS parts, glove box plates and headlight switch plates. But its missing the handbrake plate which i hav never seen before, push button locks, axe shovel, etc and the map light mounted on the steering wheel. Now as far i know these are all originals.

In Addition to this the Jeep also has the original cranking handle (mounted behind the rear seat), the original foot pump, working plug and socket with a bantam trailer and foot starter. Another addition is the flexible/collapsible radio antenna with the original cermaic mounts. There's a couple of other bits on there wich were mostly accersories depending on areas in which the Jeeps served.

Here's the only picture of APR33 i could find. Will look for others.
Had a very good look at APR 33 last Tuesday. In country-side surroundings. All the bolts on this Jeep had original "F" (Ford) marked heads. This and the one in Bangalore show one what a Jeep is meant to be.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 00:34   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Does your jeep have the auto fire extinguisher that fits on the inside of the bonnet pointed at the carb?
Sir,
That is first time I have heard about such a device.
Fascinating indeed!!
But are you sure it was a standard fitment, since none of the manuals covering the Willys MB/ Ford GPW or the Field Manuals (FM's) covering the standard and special equipment mention any such extinguisher.

Cheers
Vaibhav
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 00:46   #294
Senior - BHPian

Indeed the extinguisher was a OE fitting. That Jeep APR 33 needs to be photographed thoroughly and posted for others to understand the significance.

I say again its practically impossible today to do a 100 point restoration on a Ford MB.

This the other Bangalore Jeep and one more in Hyd ( used to be APY something with Rasul of Moghul Darbar) are worth a fortune today.

APR 33 even had a field telephone with it at one time.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 01:00   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed the extinguisher was a OE fitting.
I beg to differ here, Sir.
The only things to have been attached under the hood as OE were
the grease gun and the lubrication chart holder.

Cheers
Vaibhav
Old 28th August 2009, 01:22   #296
Senior - BHPian

where did the grease gun fit. and if the extinguisher was not OE then why do most jeeps have the mounting bracket holes on them.
Old 28th August 2009, 01:54   #297
BHPian

Quote:
where did the grease gun fit. and if the extinguisher was not OE then why do most jeeps have the mounting bracket holes on them.
The grease gun fit under the hood on the left corner.
I did not say the fire extinguisher was not OE.
Just that it never came mounted under the hood and definitely
never of the automated discharge type.
The following picture shows the location of the grease gun bracket.
Also present is the lubrication chart holder.

The second photograph shows the usual placement of the fire extinguisher.

Cheers

Pics taken from G503.com archives.
Name:  P7080087.JPG
Views: 6038
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  Fire_Extinguisher_006.jpg
Views: 5666
Size:  45.3 KB
Old 28th August 2009, 13:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

Boss thats all Ok but there are cars that came with the underbonnet fire extinguisher too. That grease gun bracket you refer to is actually the bracket that held the extinguisher.

If i remember correct the grease gun actually fitted under the rear passenger seat along with the air pump etc. The engine bay had a small oil squirt can in a holder on the firewall.

You need to search the net for info on this. These Jeeps had a overflow problem from the carbs that would set the engine on fire and this device was in place to protect the car from blowing up.

I have actually seen three jeeps with these two extinguishers in place.

BTW in the first pic below the bonnet is missing the rectangular air deflector that mounts in front parallet to the radiator.

There is a gent called Girish Naidu in Bangalore who has much more detailed info on these jeeps.

I had a Willys APJ 214 and it even had the Willys script on the back below the Jerry Can holder. This is the only Willys which I ever saw with the on it. Have also seen a couple of Ford GPW's that had "Ford" stamped into the metal on this spot.

Last edited by wasif : 28th August 2009 at 13:18.
Old 29th August 2009, 01:06   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Boss thats all Ok but there are cars that came with the underbonnet fire extinguisher too. That grease gun bracket you refer to is actually the bracket that held the extinguisher.

If i remember correct the grease gun actually fitted under the rear passenger seat along with the air pump etc. The engine bay had a small oil squirt can in a holder on the firewall.
The grease gun was never stowed under the rear seat, only the tyre pump.

The accessory, equipment and tool lists for the Willys MB/ Ford GPW are documented in detail by US Army manuals and packing lists. None of them has any mention of a second fire extinguisher under the hood.

Quote:
You need to search the net for info on this. These Jeeps had a overflow problem from the carbs that would set the engine on fire and this device was in place to protect the car from blowing up.

I have actually seen three jeeps with these two extinguishers in place.
One thing to remember is that the jeeps took on a lot of equipment during their use in the field. A lot of things are considered to be original to the jeep just because they are there and period correct.
If the original Sparton horn broke down in the field during the war, the G.I. would just grab and fit whatever horn was available with the Ordinance without caring for originality. So, probably an Autolite unit used in the Dodge would be fitted in the Jeep.
Does that make it original 50 years down the line because a couple of jeeps have it?
Period correct. Yes
Original (as in factory fitted or OEM). No.

Quote:
BTW in the first pic below the bonnet is missing the rectangular air deflector that mounts in front parallet to the radiator.
AFAIK the air deflectors were present on all Willys MB before ACM started making composite bodies. Ford GPW's did not have the air deflector/ hood stiffener until late 1943 when FoMoCo started using Type I ACM bodies.
When both Willys MB/ Ford GPW started using the ACM built composite bodies, the air deflector was dropped but the tool markings for the air deflector mounting holes remained on the hood.
Anyways, that pic was just to show the grease gun mounting location.

Quote:
I had a Willys APJ 214 and it even had the Willys script on the back below the Jerry Can holder. This is the only Willys which I ever saw with the on it. Have also seen a couple of Ford GPW's that had "Ford" stamped into the metal on this spot.
Wow!! The rare script jeeps. Uday Bhan Singh also has an early script Willys MB. To me they are the most desirable WWII Jeeps after the GP and MA.
Please do share any pics you might have of the script Willys.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2009, 01:11   #300
Senior - BHPian

Dear Sir.

Lets agree to disagree on the underbonnet fire extinguisher thing for now till someone who has actually seen one decides to post about it or I find the time to trawl the net looking for it.

BTW I still own the Jeep that was APJ 214 but without the said reg no. No pics at hand of this as of now. Will post them in Dec 09.

Are you aware of the purpose of thet small rectangular box with a pipe for wiring that fitted on the inside under the passenger seat. There are four nuts/ bolts holding it to the body.

I see you have a CJ2A. Is it an all whell drive kind ?

Last edited by wasif : 29th August 2009 at 01:15.