Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th August 2009, 01:16   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Lets agree to disagree on the underbonnet fire extinguisher thing for now till someone who has actually seen one decides to post about it or I find the time to trawl the net looking for it.
I too agree to disagree on it , Sir!

Last edited by gotzuk : 29th August 2009 at 01:19. Reason: General Incompetence
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 18:05   #302
BHPian

Quote:
The under bonnet extinguisher was on the left side of the bonnet when standing in front pointed at the carb. It used to have a glass bubble filled with alcohol in it that would blow at a certain temprature to set off teh extinguisher. This is apart from the normal brass extinguisher to be found on the side of the drivers left leg.
This is really interesting. I have never heard of something like before and I think you might have got a wrong info. I hope you are aware of the Decontaminator(First two in the picture below) that was used on the Jeep and placed on the fenders.

Quote:
The gas tank had a funnel built into the mouth that could be pulled up to help you pour gas from a Jerry can ever seen one ?
Are you talking about the Spout? I got hold of one recently. Below pictured is not the one I got.

Quote:
One thing I still don't know what it was for was a small rectangular box on the inside body under teh passenger seat which had a pipe with cables coming out of it. This box bolted to the body side with four bolts and can be seen on APR 33 and some others.
I am not sure about this but your info, here is the picture on the tire pump under the rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Had a very good look at APR 33 last Tuesday. In country-side surroundings. All the bolts on this Jeep had original "F" (Ford) marked heads. This and the one in Bangalore show one what a Jeep is meant to be.
Cheers harit
Can you let me know who owns this Jeep and can I have the phone number of the owner. Need help with my GPW. Also guys do you know if the winch on this Jeep is a WWII Capstan Winch like the one pictured below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I beg to differ here, Sir.
The only things to have been attached under the hood as OE were
the grease gun and the lubrication chart holder.
Yes, Vaibhav is correct and the one thing that was available under the hood was a lubrication chart and holder along with the grease gun.
Grease Gun with Bracket

Lube Guide Bracket

Lube Chart for the Jeep

Lube Chart for the Trailer

Kind Regards
Rejo Jacob
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 20:38   #303
Senior - BHPian

What I am talking about is a fire extinguisher topped with a glass cylindrical cap which has alcohol or something similar in it that expands on heating up.

It was designed in such a way that if the temprature in the engine bay went up beyond a certain point the glass would shatter and the extinguisher would activate.

I am in the process of getting the pics and mainfacturer details on this from a noted jeep historian in the US and will share them with you all shrtly.

Meanwhile can Harit or anyone else who have seen this on APR 33 or any other Jeep please coroborate what I am saying.

The mouth of the gas tank is very wide and if you look in you will see a cylindrical pipe that can be pulled up and locked in place to let you pour gas from a jerry can.

It locks similar to how a light bulb locks in the holder.

The pipe can after filling be unlocked and pushed back into the tank and the cap is replaced.

That capstan winch is the correct type that came on these Jeeps.

Last edited by wasif : 30th August 2009 at 20:42.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:14   #304
BHPian

Quote:
What I am talking about is a fire extinguisher topped with a glass cylindrical cap which has alcohol or something similar in it that expands on heating up.

It was designed in such a way that if the temprature in the engine bay went up beyond a certain point the glass would shatter and the extinguisher would activate.
It is not listed in the ORD 7 or any G-503 TM. Besides the GId would have never wasted alcohol

Quote:
I am in the process of getting the pics and mainfacturer details on this from a noted jeep historian in the US and will share them with you all shrtly.
Thanks, we will wait for your reply.

Quote:
The mouth of the gas tank is very wide and if you look in you will see a cylindrical pipe that can be pulled up and locked in place to let you pour gas from a jerry can.

It locks similar to how a light bulb locks in the holder.

The pipe can after filling be unlocked and pushed back into the tank and the cap is replaced.
Once again Wasif, I am not sure about this. Would you have pictures of this? Where did you get info on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Oye Paaji they did assembled low bonnet. I will scan the manual for the benifit of community.
Any chance if we can get a copy/scan of the manual? Never heard Mahindra making LB Jeeps back then
Old 31st August 2009, 15:35   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Any chance if we can get a copy/scan of the manual? Never heard Mahindra making LB Jeeps back then
I believe they assembled those jeeps, subjected to correction. I will scan and upload those manuals.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 17:36   #306
Senior - BHPian

I have restored a couple of Jeeps inmy times and have taken teh trouble to meet ike minded people and learn from them. Also used to visit many owners with original Jeeps and this is the source of some of the info I have and the rest id from books and the net.

Regarding the fuel filler neck this can be seen on any relatively original jeep. The filler is accessed by lifting the drivers seat cushion. Open the lid which is quiet large compared to a regular car and peep in. You will see a long pipe going down the same diameter as the fuel cap. This is in a cage kind of an affair that holds this pipe in place and can be pulled up and locked in place to facilitate pouring of gas from a Jerry can.

Last edited by wasif : 31st August 2009 at 17:38.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:21   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I believe they assembled those jeeps, subjected to correction. I will scan and upload those manuals.
Quote:
I have restored a couple of Jeeps inmy times and have taken teh trouble to meet ike minded people and learn from them. Also used to visit many owners with original Jeeps and this is the source of some of the info I have and the rest id from books and the net.
Guys I not doubting your intentions or your expertise but the information you have provided is mind boggling and if proven can be a big learning curve for lots of Jeepers. Will wait for you guys to shed more light on these topics with appropriate documents and pictures.
Thanks
Rejo
Old 31st August 2009, 23:30   #308
Senior - BHPian

Guys here goes. This is a start on the Jeep originality series. Attached pics are of the Radio Supression Box that always facinated me. How many of you have this on your Jeep or have seen one ? This is to be found under the passenger seat mounted on the side of the body.

Manish. Mahindra didn't ever assemble these Jeeps their colaboration with Jeep started with teh CJ series.
Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 31st August 2009 at 23:31.
Old 1st September 2009, 00:21   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Guys here goes. This is a start on the Jeep originality series. Attached pics are of the Radio Supression Box that always facinated me.
Super point to bring up, Wasif.
From what little I have seen, it the often the most overlooked aspect in many otherwise nice restorations.

A part of the Type II radio suppression system, it worked in conjuction with mutiple filtrettes attached to the the coil, regulator, starter switch, dynamo etc.
The S on the hood before the serial number was painted on the jeeps equipped with the radio suppression system.

Cheers
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 18:14   #310
BHPian

May I try and throw a little light on this discussion on the 'correct restoration and oe fittings on ford or willy's jeeps'! first off, to the best of my knowledge, you had both the grease gun and the oil can under the bonnet and on the firewall on the drivers side of the jeep, as OE. therewere fire extuingishers, as described by Wasif, under the bonnet, but I beleive those were only fitted on some jeeps that saw action in Africa, not OE! The funnel in the gas tank is exactly as described by Wasif, OE. The supressor box too. As also the box on the firewall below the glovebox. The foot pump is all that came below the passenger, folding seat in the back, as also the original cranking handle on the wall behind the seat. The winch is a capstan on APR 33, which again found on some jeeps only, depending on where and for what used, during the war, not OE. There is something else, that most miss out on, is the 'split rims', very, very important, to have! I would be very happy to,help anyone with any queries, the best I can, as also put up any detailed pictures of APR 33, that you might want or need. Good luck!
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 18:19   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Super point to bring up, Wasif.
From what little I have seen, it the often the most overlooked aspect in many otherwise nice restorations.

A part of the Type II radio suppression system, it worked in conjuction with mutiple filtrettes attached to the the coil, regulator, starter switch, dynamo etc.
The S on the hood before the serial number was painted on the jeeps equipped with the radio suppression system.

Cheers
As also the 'correct' antenae, not what we see on most jeeps, today !

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 1st September 2009 at 18:21.
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:01   #312
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samir.

Thanks for your posts below coroborating my little inputs on the OE items on Jeeps. I totally agree with all you have said. On further research it does turn out that not all Jeeps had the underbonnet extinguisher.

Am still looking for pics of this to post here for the benefit of all.

Also regarding APR 33, are you the current owner. It would be very educational if you could post detailed pics of its interiors, engine bay, the gas tank filler neck in both extended and retracted positions and the underdash rectangular electrical box.

That Jeep was with a gent in Sec Bad behind the Club for long time and I used to spend days studying it. At that time it did have the under bonnet extinguisher, the first aid box and the map reading torch among other very intersting accessories. any idea what happened to the extinguisher and why was it removed.

Also since you are in Bangalore I assume you are aware of the Jeep wihich was with Girish Naidu. Does he still have it and if so can you post some pics of this too.

Last but not the least how can anyone forget the split rims, an OE item on all such Jeeps, very hard to find and practically impossible to find with correct fastners that have not been welded on.

One thing I never got to do was to unbolt the wheels and drive the Jeep on a railway line like it was designed to.

Looking forward to your pics and contributions.

Wasif
Old 2nd September 2009, 02:07   #313
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures of how a well restored Jeep should look and some facets from unrestored Jeeps
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-ford-gpw-head.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2009, 02:14   #314
Senior - BHPian

Here are more pics of various aspects of original Jeeps
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2009, 16:49   #315
BHPian

Hi!

Apr33 changed hands once in hyderabad and is now located in Poona . The person you mentioned, behind the S'bad club, I think was a young muslim gentleman? who I think had another American jeep from the 50's as also a chevy fleetmaster '48 ??? I really do not know who removed the extuingisher and the field telephone ! all other accessories seem to still be on her . Will try to post some detailed photograghs as soon as possible . She now, also has an absolutely original 'bantam' trailer in tow.

Samir,