Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:32   #316
BHPian
 
mathewJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kochi
Posts: 97
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys here goes. This is a start on the Jeep originality series. Attached pics are of the Radio Supression Box that always facinated me. How many of you have this on your Jeep or have seen one ? This is to be found under the passenger seat mounted on the side of the body.

Manish. Mahindra didn't ever assemble these Jeeps their colaboration with Jeep started with teh CJ series.
Wasif I have to ask about the picture of the FE under the passenger seat. Hope it’s not yours cause the FE does not look correct. It’s a mix between a Decontaminator and FE with the color & label of a Decon on a Pyrene FE and bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
first off, to the best of my knowledge, you had both the grease gun and the oil can under the bonnet and on the firewall on the drivers side of the jeep, as OE.
Correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
therewere fire extuingishers, as described by Wasif, under the bonnet, but I beleive those were only fitted on some jeeps that saw action in Africa, not OE!
The fact that it’s not OE is for sure and if proven it would be like the “Desert Coolers” or the “Radiator Surge Tank Assy” that were fitted on Jeep. (see attachment below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Hi!

Apr33 changed hands once in hyderabad and is now located in Poona . The person you mentioned, behind the S'bad club, I think was a young muslim gentleman? who I think had another American jeep from the 50's as also a chevy fleetmaster '48 ??? I really do not know who removed the extuingisher and the field telephone ! all other accessories seem to still be on her . Will try to post some detailed photograghs as soon as possible . She now, also has an absolutely original 'bantam' trailer in tow.

Samir,
I am really waiting to see more pictures of this jeep. Any chance if you can get the contact details of the current owner or the previous owner.
Thanks
Attached Images
   
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:46   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

That pic and others posted are for illustration purposes only sourced from various sources on the internet.

I don't have any of the FE stuff on my Jeep just the holder. Its one of the few items I am missing along with the insides of the box that mounts on the firewall in the passenger compartment.

The previous owner said his mechanic took off the stuff and sold it for its metal value and just put the cover back on.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:50   #318
BHPian
 
mathewJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kochi
Posts: 97
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That pic and others posted are for illustration purposes only sourced from various sources on the internet.

I don't have any of the FE stuff on my Jeep just the holder. Its one of the few items I am missing along with the insides of the box that mounts on the firewall in the passenger compartment.

The previous owner said his mechanic took off the stuff and sold it for its metal value and just put the cover back on.
I have extra Quick Aid FE. Let me know if you are interested and I can probably help you out. Will get you some pictures if need be.
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:45   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
I have extra Quick Aid FE. Let me know if you are interested and I can probably help you out. Will get you some pictures if need be.
Sure do send some pics. Also why don't you put up some pics of your GPW for us to see ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:04   #320
BHPian
 
Samir Taheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London & Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Wasif, I would really appreciate a clarification, on who I think was the first owner of APR 33 in S'bad. thank you,

samir
Samir Taheer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:45   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Wasif, I would really appreciate a clarification, on who I think was the first owner of APR 33 in S'bad. thank you,

samir
When I first saw APR 33 it was with a collector behind the Club.This gent was not muslim as you have mentioned but hindu, the name slips my mind, it was Sridhar Reddy or something similar.. He also had the Chevy you mentioned.

The young muslim gent you mentioned is Mohammed Bhai from Mudfort. They had a few old cars and were die hard Jeep Fans much into hunting etc. They had some good jeeps from the fifties, the Kaiser Corp era.

Mohd bhai and the Reddy gent were well aquainted.

The Jeep was rarely used and they had aquired that Bantam trailer for it around late 1998.

Prior to this I am not sure who owned this Jeep. It was said that the Reddy gent was the one who was responsible for its restoration. What does the RC book say about the owners ?

Apart from this there were a few more very original Jeeps in Hyd. One belonged to Rasul, one of the brothers who owned Moghul Darbar Cafe near Liberty. It had an APY reg but was in a very distressed condition but all original.

Rashid nawab also has around three to four Jeeps in various states of originality apart from one of the two Austin Champ Jeeps in Hyderabad.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 08:49   #322
BHPian
 
Samir Taheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London & Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Thank you!
Apr 33 belonged to Mr Yadi { Vijayananda] Reddy, then to Mr Vara Prasad Rao, who, I beleive, was responsible for the restoration. He also aquired Rasul's jeep,Apy 515, which he still owns and has been beautifully restored! Rashid Qayuum has also added a Ford GPA. I was very fortunate to see his collection, as also Mr Pestonjee's cars, very impressive !
The Bantam trailer, did not come with Apr33, another has been aquired.
Anyways, 33 is now stabled along with another very original GPW and a !941 Willy's with the tubular cross member in front which was discontinued in february 1942 .

cheers !
Samir Taheer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 13:19   #323
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Yes I had seen APR 33 when it was with Mr. Vara Prasad Rao. It then has the underbonnet Fire Extinguisher on it.

Is it possible to post pics sourced from him of the FE. My claim to have seen this on APR 33 or the facrt that this kind of FE featured on amy such Jeeps is being considered as not true by some people.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:07   #324
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes I had seen APR 33 when it was with Mr. Vara Prasad Rao. It then has the underbonnet Fire Extinguisher on it.

Is it possible to post pics sourced from him of the FE. My claim to have seen this on APR 33 or the facrt that this kind of FE featured on amy such Jeeps is being considered as not true by some people.
Wasif, The underbonnet FE was certainly not an OE. It may perhaps have been fitted when the Jeeps were despatched to units due to special requirements. The Radio supression unit came in the firewall on the passenger side and the Radio connector box under the passenger seat.
I am also an avid enthusiast of the WW2 jeep and am posting some pics of my 1942 GPW and '43 Bantam T3 Trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-ford-gpw-antenna-base-005.jpg  

Attached Images
       
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:35   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

That is a vey good looking Jeep you have there. I see you have gone in for a Solex carb in place of the Carter and those vacuum wipers.

Did you notice how the pick up is dramatically reduced with the Solex compared to the Carter ? Also your light switch has a peculiar looking item next to it.

One of the rear lights is also not what it should be but that antenna looks great as does the ford script.You need an original Jerry can too.

The plates are looking good also the axe / showel combo and the wheels are grest.

Could you post pics of the fuel tank mouth with the funnel for illustration to other members.

Last edited by wasif : 6th September 2009 at 17:37.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 19:11   #326
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That is a vey good looking Jeep you have there. I see you have gone in for a Solex carb in place of the Carter and those vacuum wipers.

Did you notice how the pick up is dramatically reduced with the Solex compared to the Carter ? Also your light switch has a peculiar looking item next to it.

One of the rear lights is also not what it should be but that antenna looks great as does the ford script.You need an original Jerry can too.

The plates are looking good also the axe / showel combo and the wheels are grest.

Could you post pics of the fuel tank mouth with the funnel for illustration to other members.
Thanks Wasif, I have a Carter too but use the Solex for normal running.
The switch next to the light switch is an indicator switch. The indicators have been added for safe traffic usage as the vehicle is a left hand drive and in todays traffic especially during nights an indicator is almost mandatory. The same goes for the rear light too. Although I have the two slotted light for one side, I have put the light with the red lense for safety in todays traffic. The Jerry can, although is not the wide mouth one ,is an original British War Department 1945 can. I shall post close up pictures with the markings in the can. The wheels are original Combat Split Rims. I have the First aid Box, FE and Radio suppression box, Oil Can bracket and grease gun bracket also. I also have the Hull compass which is in the last picture.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:47   #327
BHPian
 
Samir Taheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London & Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Hi!

That is. a nice looking jeep ! but apart from what Wasim has allready pointed out,I think you should try and get yourself an original shovel. As also, original reflectors. The original jerrycan, you should get in either Bhopal or Hyderabad.
Samir Taheer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:58   #328
BHPian
 
Samir Taheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London & Pune
Posts: 387
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Sorry !!!!! But the Ford Willys script, is not, mean't to be present on either vehicle, as of february 1942 ! Actually a little before that ! ?

I would love to see some more pictures of the trailor. Does it have the drain hole with original plug? And the hand brake lever and land leg deseign could give a very fair idea, of actual year of manufacture.

good luck!
Samir Taheer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 23:51   #329
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Hi!

That is. a nice looking jeep ! but apart from what Wasim has allready pointed out,I think you should try and get yourself an original shovel. As also, original reflectors. The original jerrycan, you should get in either Bhopal or Hyderabad.
My friend samir, While I agree on your feedback, please understand that most parts of my GPW are original.Let me clarify,that due to practicality, some have been fitted, which is certainly allowed in any International forum. The reflectors are original "F" scripted. the Jerrycan is original. This is a British GPW which was inherited by the Indian army. My Jerry can is a War Department 1945 Jerrycan. This may be an American Jeep but was inherited by the Indian Army,from th British, perhaps used in the Burma Theatre. The wide mouth jerrycan did predominantly come for water.
Please see " My Garage ". I am an avid Vintage car enthusiast, you can see my other vehicles there. I dont leave any stone unturned for originality.
Anyway, your feedback is well taken.
The Script did come in The first half of 1942 after which the US Quartermaster did imply that since it is a Govt. design which was contracted, neither Willys or Ford should have their name in the vehicle.
Athough this was stipulated, Ford had their "F" marking in almost every part of the GPW including Bolts apart from the other differences between the GPW and the MB.

Last edited by Dussey : 6th September 2009 at 23:59.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 00:13   #330
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Sorry !!!!! But the Ford Willys script, is not, mean't to be present on either vehicle, as of february 1942 ! Actually a little before that ! ?

I would love to see some more pictures of the trailor. Does it have the drain hole with original plug? And the hand brake lever and land leg deseign could give a very fair idea, of actual year of manufacture.

good luck!
The '41 Willys did not have a dashboard cubbyhole with a door.
The Bantam Trailer has the spring loaded drainplug and the handbrake lever ,as also the electrical switch, but the leg seems to have been removed. The lever for reclining the leg is there. I have the original data plate in the trailer, which you can see in the pic of the trailer, on the right hand side below the tarp, which has the number as well as the date ,which is 1943. Shall try to post close up pics of the trailer after taking them as I have only long shots .

Last edited by Dussey : 7th September 2009 at 00:22.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Willys Jeep Wheels dinya Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 11th February 2010 14:18
2009 Jeep J8 Multipurpose 4WD.....return of the WILLYS JEEP!!! amit V8 The International Automotive Scene 14 27th July 2009 01:12
gypsy or willys or kaiser jeep or conti or 207(budjet 1lakh ) D.V.R SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 17 15th September 2007 04:13
Willys Jeep Engine & Gearbox Swap dinya Modifications & Accessories 5 17th November 2005 10:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks