Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 7th September 2009, 17:53   #331
BHPian

@ Wassif,

The Decontaminator for refernce :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Rashid Qayuum has also added a Ford GPA. I was very fortunate to see his collection, as also Mr Pestonjee's cars, very impressive !
cheers !
Wow Samir... A GPA? That's a rare Jeep here in India. Any chance you have photos of it and is it restored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Sorry !!!!! But the Ford Willys script, is not, mean't to be present on either vehicle, as of February 1942 ! Actually a little before that ! ?
The Script Ford and Willys were made till mid July 1942 I belive and after that the government did not want Ford/Willys to advertise their name in the G503 contracted Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
This is a British GPW which was inherited by the Indian army. My Jerry can is a War Department 1945 Jerry can. This may be an American Jeep but was inherited by the Indian Army, from th British, perhaps used in the Burma Theatre. The wide mouth jerry can did predominantly come for water.
Hello Mr. Srivardhan,
I always admired your GPW and Trailer. You have got yourself an excellent Jeep. Can you please list the GPW# of your Jeep and does is correspond with your engine number i.e. is your GPW have all the matching number aka Holy Grail.

Now with regards to your Jerry can please note that script GPW/MB never had Jerry Can installed on them. They were mounted on the Jeep after Ford/Willys discontinued scripting their Jeeps. Also I have to ask about your Hull Compass. Is it Black bakelite or Mahogany and is it from Hull Streamline (mostly yes).

Also find below Ray Cowdery's list from All American Wonder for your reference.

Rejo
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-raycowderylistpg4.jpg  

Last edited by mathewJ : 7th September 2009 at 17:57.
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:06   #332
Senior - BHPian

MathewJ please do post some pics of your pride and joy for us to enjoy
wasif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:41   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
@ Wassif,

The Decontaminator for refernce :

Wow Samir... A GPA? That's a rare Jeep here in India. Any chance you have photos of it and is it restored?

The Script Ford and Willys were made till mid July 1942 I belive and after that the government did not want Ford/Willys to advertise their name in the G503 contracted Jeeps.

Hello Mr. Srivardhan,
I always admired your GPW and Trailer. You have got yourself an excellent Jeep. Can you please list the GPW# of your Jeep and does is correspond with your engine number i.e. is your GPW have all the matching number aka Holy Grail.

Now with regards to your Jerry can please note that script GPW/MB never had Jerry Can installed on them. They were mounted on the Jeep after Ford/Willys discontinued scripting their Jeeps. Also I have to ask about your Hull Compass. Is it Black bakelite or Mahogany and is it from Hull Streamline (mostly yes).

Also find below Ray Cowdery's list from All American Wonder for your reference.

Rejo
Thanks for the compliment, Rejo. You are right,the early GPWs did not have a jerrycan nor did it have the trailer electrical socket. The jerry can holder perhaps was a later fitment in my GPW,but it is an original holder with the 'F'. The Hull compass is manufactured by Hull Mfg Co., Warren, Ohio, USA.
My GPW # is 27773, should be sometime in May 42 as per Ray Cowdery's 'All American Wonder ' Part 2.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 19:01   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
MathewJ please do post some pics of your pride and joy for us to enjoy
It's still under restoration with Mr.UBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Rejo. You are right,the early GPWs did not have a jerrycan nor did it have the trailer electrical socket. The jerry can holder perhaps was a later fitment in my GPW,but it is an original holder with the 'F'. The Hull compass is manufactured by Hull Mfg Co., Warren, Ohio, USA.
My GPW # is 27773, should be sometime in May 42 as per Ray Cowdery's 'All American Wonder ' Part 2.
Thanks for the number. How about the engine number? Is it the same or do you have a replacement engine?
Old 8th September 2009, 10:21   #335
Senior - BHPian

Under restoration pics would be even better than the restored ones will give people a glimpse of what it takes to restore a Jeep.

Please do oblige.

BTW my Willys is from late 42 but the engine has been changed at some point so the numbers don't match but it doesn't matter to me as its still the correct Willys engine with the timing chain and not the later engine with the timing gear and that border on the top of the head
Old 8th September 2009, 17:43   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Willys is from late 42 but the engine has been changed at some point so the numbers don't match but it doesn't matter to me as its still the correct Willys engine with the timing chain and not the later engine with the timing gear and that border on the top of the head
Can you tell me your chasis number and your engine number?
Old 8th September 2009, 18:40   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Can you tell me your chasis number and your engine number?
Don't remember them off hand but will look and let you know.
Old 8th September 2009, 19:26   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Don't remember them off hand but will look and let you know.
Thanks.. Just wanted to know your engine is GPW or replacement engine.

P.S - Are you able to see the FE pictures I pm'd you?
Old 8th September 2009, 23:48   #339
Senior - BHPian

Its not the original engine that came with my jeep for sure its a replacment engine as when I bought the thing it had the later cam gear type of engine and I sourced the correct engine with the timing gear out of a Ford and my Jeep is a Willys.

I will check the pics now and let you know have been a little tied up lately.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2009, 20:53   #340
BHPian

Angry 6 Wd Jeep

Found this JEEP inside a court premises!!
It had 4 wheels at the rear....totally 6 wheels, it had an extra gear box also,with UJ connection also, dunno how the stuff works (ed)
Sorry, for the poor quality of photography !!
ps: Mods ,please shift this to appropriate thread, if you feel this a "wacky weird modification "of that jeep
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-sdc12082.jpg  

Jeep Willys-sdc12083.jpg  

powertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 07:12   #341
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Found this JEEP inside a court premises!!
It had 4 wheels at the rear....totally 6 wheels, it had an extra gear box also,with UJ connection also, dunno how the stuff works (ed)
Sorry, for the poor quality of photography !!
ps: Mods ,please shift this to appropriate thread, if you feel this a "wacky weird modification "of that jeep
1) Wow powertwin ! Nice find.

2) Looks like a purpose built modification by a competent professional.
Modifying the brake drum and full-floating hub of a Willys/Mahindra Jeep
to accept is no small feat by a cosmetic modder.

3) Obviously the modification is to carry extra weight in the rear and get additional traction at the same time.
Long ago there was a Willys FC-170 4x4 that came from the factory with a 1-ton rated rear axle and dualie wheels in the rear. Its rear axle and hub could be reused if located in some wrecking yard in rural USA.
(Mahindra introduced their Forward Control Jeeps in India as "Jeep truck". I distinctly remember their Akashwani radio ads in Hindi and can sing that jingle )

4) The extra gear box with universal joint connection could be the power take-off (commonly called PTO by Willys Jeep people). This was supplied as an extra cost option. Had mentioned this PTO three and a half years ago, here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post189153 (Jeep Willys)

5) It would be useful if you could provide more pics of this U-joint and gearbox.

Again powertwin Nice and extremely unusual find !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 17:07   #342
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of a Ford GPW from PakWheels The Air cleaner has an interesting additionon it any idea what it could be ? Never seen an air cleaner like this on one of these Jeeps

Engine looks like a later Willys replacment
Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 17th September 2009 at 17:08.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:28   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics of a Ford GPW from PakWheels The Air cleaner has an interesting additionon it any idea what it could be ? Never seen an air cleaner like this on one of these Jeeps

Engine looks like a later Willys replacment
The added piece looks like a hood (Kind of a rain cap + to filter out dry leaves etc.) used mainly on vertical openings like on Tractor (called precleaner also), what it is doing here I do not know, there is no need for it.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 09:08   #344

Hi!
First off, the front bumper say's, this is a willy's and not a ford!? The aircleaner I cannot figure out ? The mirrors HAVE come of a truck ?

Would hate to comment as photograghs can be very deceptive!
tipu taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 13:39   #345
Senior - BHPian

I guess ita an amalgum of parts from the Willys and the Ford Jeeps.

The chassis is clearly a Ford as can bee seen from the front cross member.

That mod to the air cleaner is very interesting. Also it looks like its stilling running a 6v setup but not sure as I have seen Jeeps sporting teh big Autolite cutout which actually had been hollowed out and fitted with a modern 12 V version and further the battery looks like ita a 12v affair