Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 02:44   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

yeah nitin you got it right. so wanted to get the gun as well to maintain the originality of the jeep. army guys would'nt part with it.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 21:59   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

A 60s(?) Willys LHD I spotted at a jeep-specialist garage in Hyderabad. Note the lovely 'shikar' light cum rear view mirror on the left side....I'm given to understand that several old fiats/Ambys/Landmasters & even Standard 10s had these! Unfortunately this is all I can manage to upload for now...having a terrible time with my net today, unable to upload images anywhere!


Last edited by Stanher : 11th August 2007 at 22:03.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 01:40   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

its lovely picture stanher. i am told the best place to get the jeep restored as close to original is in hyderabad. i have a jeep and am going to start work on it but was haveing second thoughts of sending it to your city to get done up.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 02:01   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
sorry karlos it not a anti tank carrier, but an anti tank gun carrier. dont have photo's on me, im in delhi currently as soon as i get to bom i shall post the pics.
I think I know what you have Speedy. Its a CJ3B Jeep, like in the picture below, which, when in the army, had been equipped to carry a 106mm recoilless gun, with a split windshield. Note the cut in the windshield to fit the gun.



In the picture below, note the dashboard-mounted support for the barrel of the gun, and the shell mounting brackets and blackout tail lights in the rear. These specially equipped vehicles also had a chaff screen, brush guards for lights, grab handles all around, extra set of coil springs at the rear (for obvious reasons as the damn gun was too heavy), jerrycan holders, shovel and axe holders, reinforcements at the rear of the body tub (also for obvious reasons), and spare tyre mounted above the left rear wheel.





Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
yeah nitin you got it right. so wanted to get the gun as well to maintain the originality of the jeep. army guys would'nt part with it.
That they wont part with, besides its not the allowed calibre for civilians. I would have loved to see that army guys face when you made the request.

Last edited by V-16 : 12th August 2007 at 02:04. Reason: add
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 02:18   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I think I know what you have Speedy. Its a CJ3B Jeep, like in the picture below, which, when in the army, had been equipped to carry a 106mm recoilless gun, with a split windshield. Note the cut in the windshield to fit the gun.



In the picture below, note the dashboard-mounted support for the barrel of the gun, and the shell mounting brackets and blackout tail lights in the rear. These specially equipped vehicles also had a chaff screen, brush guards for lights, grab handles all around, extra set of coil springs at the rear (for obvious reasons as the damn gun was too heavy), jerrycan holders, shovel and axe holders, reinforcements at the rear of the body tub (also for obvious reasons), and spare tyre mounted above the left rear wheel.







That they wont part with, besides its not the allowed calibre for civilians. I would have loved to see that army guys face when you made the request.
when did you take these pictures. this is my very own jeep. V-16. thank you for the pictures, had lost all my pictures. trust me their faces were jaw dropped thinking i wanted to blast some important buildings or something.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 10:04   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
its lovely picture stanher. i am told the best place to get the jeep restored as close to original is in hyderabad. i have a jeep and am going to start work on it but was haveing second thoughts of sending it to your city to get done up.
Thanks! Yes Hyd. is very popular for these jeeps.....the garage where I took these pics. is run by one such jeep specialist....exuberant though his prices may seem, the job he does is absoultely fabulous!
Btw, I just dig your jeep too!

Finally able to upload pics.....although slowly! :(

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 14:34   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

stanher thanks man she still has a long way to go. in the earlier picture you had posted there is a yellow jeep in the background. which one is that. it has a roll cage and new seats. the priceswould be at par with bom i guess. but frankly when you want to restore the cars price seems secondary compared to seeing the car in full glory once again. its worth the effort and the money spent.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 16:11   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,567
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
when did you take these pictures. this is my very own jeep. V-16. thank you for the pictures, had lost all my pictures. trust me their faces were jaw dropped thinking i wanted to blast some important buildings or something.
You're kidding... are you serious that these are pics of your jeep?
Well i didnt take them someone else did. What a coincidence.
So how does it look now? Post some pics man!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 16:35   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You're kidding... are you serious that these are pics of your jeep?
Well i didnt take them someone else did. What a coincidence.
So how does it look now? Post some pics man!!
the jeep is in pretty much the same condition except everything includeing the engine is off the car. had started work on it had the pata's dont know the other name for it done and the brakes, then another car came in and my brother had the work stopped on the jeep. i'm not in town as soon as i get back will take fresh pictures and post them. guess i have a rough idea who would have taken the pictures. the pictures you have are at vashi. my bawa friend or another friend from shivaji park.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 18:06   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 459 Times
Default

fabulous job stanher.the M 606 is a good example. remember to take lot of pictures of the 15th August event in Hyderabad. also pictures of the sketch artist from colombo who will display his paintings.will try to see you there
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 21:08   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
stanher thanks man she still has a long way to go. in the earlier picture you had posted there is a yellow jeep in the background. which one is that. it has a roll cage and new seats.
Uh, I'm afraid I'll have to admit I'm still a novice on jeeps!
Btw, the garage owner has a nice 1970 US Jeep, that was one of 3 given to the Indian Army back then & thus converted to RHD too. Unfortunately they eventually didnt like them & 2 got scrapped, from what I remember being told, this remaining one having been bought at an auction in Delhi then brought down to Hyd. & getting restored.

Quote:
but frankly when you want to restore the cars price seems secondary compared to seeing the car in full glory once again. its worth the effort and the money spent.
You can say that again!
I'm in the process of ordering a bunch of spares for my Herald from the UK, although only which I fialed in getting here.
I decided not to go for engine parts though as the cost of just things comprising of valves, guides & rocker comes upto a whopping 10k!
I decided for that price I might as well find a reasonably decent engine here & pick it up! Oops...'seem to be going off-topic!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 01:40   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

stanher some of the parts for the jeep too are not available here four cylinder overhead camshaft petrol. i have searched high and low but am not able to get some of the parts. and the people who do my cars are a little tied up with new projects. most of the parts are imported and i feel it is safer as the life of the car increases. part of the reason why the restoration of the jeep keeps getting delayed and now the car stands waiting its turn. there was a time too when i thought of selling it, but something about it keeps me holding on.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 22:29   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
fabulous job stanher.the M 606 is a good example. remember to take lot of pictures of the 15th August event in Hyderabad. also pictures of the sketch artist from colombo who will display his paintings.will try to see you there
Thanks! M 606- the yellow jeep?

No need to remind me bout taking pics. at the event!

Interesting to know about the artist as well, will definitely check out his paintings. And yes, definitely hope to see you there.
BTw, that makes me ask- arent there similar events conducted on the same occasions in Bangalore? I remember seeing reports of a massive rally there on TV once.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 00:15   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 917 Times
Default

whats M 606 stanher? take pictures of the event. would like to see the cars. espesially your saved fiat. whats the progress on her.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 00:32   #90
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,226
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

Well to be honest speedy, I was asking the same question about the M 606! :P
Fiat- progress is still at a halt! :(
Nothing done after the "trial" coat of paint, blame going to the weather! I unfortunately wont be able to get her ready for the rally this time! 'dont have any other classic ready either! Maybe Suren's fiat if we could get the clutch plate (plus a few other original parts!) fixed in a day tomorrow!

Last edited by Stanher : 14th August 2007 at 00:39.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Willys Jeep Wheels dinya Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 11th February 2010 14:18
2009 Jeep J8 Multipurpose 4WD.....return of the WILLYS JEEP!!! amit V8 The International Automotive Scene 14 27th July 2009 01:12
gypsy or willys or kaiser jeep or conti or 207(budjet 1lakh ) D.V.R SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 17 15th September 2007 04:13
Willys Jeep Engine & Gearbox Swap dinya Modifications & Accessories 5 17th November 2005 10:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks