Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd September 2008, 12:30   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Sorry you are wrong. 9958 was a direct import convertablle from England by the founder chairman of Standard Motors. I know for sure because I worked in the group. My Vanguard is in the picture by girish and the triumph was there too, along with my dark green1935 Series I morris 8 & maroon minor.
@Mr.Ananth :Vanguard, triumph,morris 8 & morris minor great cars and well maintained too.You had been with Standard Motors.Can you write on the Standard Motors company during the period you were with them? Just curious for first hand information.

@Nickatnite.Nice pictures.Thank you.
stampro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good?? Understatement!

Anwyays, I was more than thrilled to see MYB 6890, one of my favourite Heralds!! Its an early (61/62) mk1, one of THE most pristine examples of this model year!
'wish there were more pic.s of it though.

MDC 6600 looks like an early rover to me?
i'm sorry, its amazing. like you, i'm a huge fan of the heralds/vitesses (though not a standard or gazel fan) but there was a white/grey combo mark 1 in the rally. that is the greatest mark 1 i've ever seen. amazing.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
i'm sorry, its amazing. like you, i'm a huge fan of the heralds/vitesses (though not a standard or gazel fan) but there was a white/grey combo mark 1 in the rally. that is the greatest mark 1 i've ever seen. amazing.
Sorry if I'd offended you!

I too am not much into Gazels or the later heralds ('was, but now like the mk1 more)- BTW the mk1 heralds are the same as Triumph ones, barring engine options.

The grey & white herald in this rally you talk of is an imported Triumph Herald 12/50 "skylight" (so called as it originally came with a sunroof- this car's was however, welded shut by the previous owner) with a 1200cc twin-carb engine.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 13:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harry what were the differences between the SS100 and the 2 1/2 litre SS tourer? Shorter wheelbase? Uprated engine? Do share such details as it would make for interesting reading.
Basically the SS 100 was a development on the SS 90 which was loosely based on the SS1 / SS2 saloons with the Standard side valve engines.
The chassis were also made by Standard . SS Cars then took the Standard engines to Harry Weslake who transformed them from side valve to OHV cross flow & probably with changes to the compression & cam timing boosted power from @ 70 BHP to 104 BHP. At the same time SS cars
got Standard to develop an improved Chassis . The SS100 basically used
a modified SS90 Chassis with the new OHV 2 1/2 L engine ( later also the 3 1/2 ) . SS Cars introduced all new chassis & engines in their saloons in '35/'36. The SS Jaguar 2 1/2 L Tourer as I said before was a mix of the left over SS1 Tourer bodies on to the new Chassis/ engine combination.
But you could call it a 4 seat version of the SS100 & in recent times the Tourer is catching up with the 100 in value as it seats 4 people & rides better. But against @ 400 - 500 SS100s made plus another few 100 converted from saloons only 105 SS Jaguar Tourers were made & probably less than 20 survive. The Australian " Jaguar Magazine" had the Tourer on the cover in 2005 where they called it the " First Jaguar" meaning the first model of SS Cars to be called " Jaguar' the name to which the companys was changed after the war for the Nazi connotation of SS!
HarryWeslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 13:47   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWeslake View Post
Basically the SS 100 was a development on the....
Very interesting. Thanks Harry. So in terms of the wheelbase the SS100 and the Tourer were identical? I guess the extra length of the additional seats gets eaten up by the longer bonnet of the SS100? Is it fair to say that except for the steering position both cars are identical mechanically?

You obviously seem to be a fan of Harry Weslake who as you say modified the sidevalve engine to a OHV unit. A little more on this gentleman's background if you please
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 14:08   #51
BHPian

Dear Stampro,
I was NOT with Standard Motors, but in the same Group-UCAL
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 12:14   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Very interesting. Thanks Harry. So in terms of the wheelbase the SS100 and the Tourer were identical? I guess the extra length of the additional seats gets eaten up by the longer bonnet of the SS100? Is it fair to say that except for the steering position both cars are identical mechanically?

You obviously seem to be a fan of Harry Weslake who as you say modified the sidevalve engine to a OHV unit. A little more on this gentleman's background if you please
No the SS100 shared similar or modified wheelbase with the SS 90 . THe SS Jaguar
2 1/2 Tourer sits on a saloon chasssis. The bonnet lenghts I'm sure are similar. On the 100 it looks longer because the rest of the car is short.
Mecanically the drive train is identical but on the 100 you have an extra set of friction dampers ( Andre Hartford) in front. Will refresh my memory
on Harry Weslake and post soon.
HarryWeslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 12:34   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I gather Mr. TT Raghu took special interest in doing up the car and on many aspects worked on it himself! Have you had a chance to go for a drive in it? Could we do a photo essay on the car's restoration? That should be an awesome record, because the end result no doubt is stunning.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote