Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 10:51   #316
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Cedric

I don't think AIB is from Hyderanad or AP as I grew up there and never say any cars with an AI reg.

AIS is from Assam so I feel AIB is also from Assam
AIA, AIB, AIS are positively Andhra Pradesh registrations, possibly Hyderabad. Case is point Gogi's 1956 Fiat was AIA registered from Hyderabad, originaly UP, re-registered in the 80s. Stanher also owned a Fiat AIS registered in Hyderabad.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 10:59   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,932
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
AIA, AIB, AIS are positively Andhra Pradesh registrations, possibly Hyderabad. Case is point Gogi's 1956 Fiat was AIA registered from Hyderabad, originaly UP, re-registered in the 80s. Stanher also owned a Fiat AIS registered in Hyderabad.
Thats strange cause I have seen pics of an Assam regestered car bearing the AIS plate.

AIA is Hyderabad from the eighties also AHA but I have never seen AIB out there.

Also I don't think thre was any 3.4 Mark 2 out there
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 13:36   #318
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
AIA, AIB, AIS are positively Andhra Pradesh registrations, possibly Hyderabad. Case is point Gogi's 1956 Fiat was AIA registered from Hyderabad, originaly UP, re-registered in the 80s. Stanher also owned a Fiat AIS registered in Hyderabad.
Exactly! Gogi's fiat AIA was registered thus in Secunderabad though.

You'll remember that I also earlier owned a Pennant with AIS regn....plus I also used to see a black mk3 (4-door) Herald in my old colony AIS 7225, around a decade ago!
No pics. of it I'm afraid though! 'never seen that car around again either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Thats strange cause I have seen pics of an Assam regestered car bearing the AIS plate.
AIA is Hyderabad from the eighties also AHA but I have never seen AIB out there.
AIB is very much a Hyd. regn., I've seen many post '85 vehicles with that regns. So is AIS, as karl said, and even AHS.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 14:08   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

Also I don't think thre was any 3.4 Mark 2 out there
- Does out there reffer to being there in Andhra or what ? Kindly specify.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 14:56   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,932
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Exactly! Gogi's fiat AIA was registered thus in Secunderabad though.

You'll remember that I also earlier owned a Pennant with AIS regn....plus I also used to see a black mk3 (4-door) Herald in my old colony AIS 7225, around a decade ago!
No pics. of it I'm afraid though! 'never seen that car around again either.


AIB is very much a Hyd. regn., I've seen many post '85 vehicles with that regns. So is AIS, as karl said, and even AHS.

Oh then this Jag must be the Sahaneys car that was in a factory in Secbad forever.

That was the only Jag in Hyderabad that I never got to see personally
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 15:13   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

AIS is from Assam so I feel AIB is also from Assam
Which year was this series in commission ? Assam also had ASE which i have seen on a Ford consul.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:18   #322
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default

It is unlikely that the same exact series would serve in 2 states in India simultaneously. I have seen both AIB and AIS used in AP (Hyd.) only, so it is ruled out that these 2 belong to Assam.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:38   #323
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Cedric - any idea where the BMA series were issued? It is obviously part of the erstwhile Bombay Presidency, and BMC, BMF, BML etc are still valid. Never seen BMA, BMB cars recently, only in old photos. I assume they were issued in what is now Gujarat state (Ahmedabad, Surat, Baroda etc).

In a similar fashion, BYH, BYK, BYF etc were and still are vaild for parts of Maharasthra, and BYC, BYB etc were probably issued in Gujarat.
Karl,
I have not seen any photos of BMA or BMB! I have pictures of most of the rest of BM but I had assumed A and B were never issued.
From what I can work out, BMT was issued as public transport (buses and taxis) in Bombay city in 1939 and BMW and then BMX were similarly for private vehicles. When the 1947 series started, I think they issued most of the rest of the BM series but I have no pictures of BMA, B, D, E, G, I, J, K, M, N, O or V. I would guess some were commercials only but if anyone has any photos they can share of these missing ones, that would be great.

On BY, the only ones I have listed are
BYA Ahmedabad
BYF, H Poona private
BYJ Nagpur private
BYL Poona commercial
BYY Nagpur commercial

I guess if BYA was Ahmedabad, logically (can we apply logic to these old plate series??) BMA might have been also. Maybe. If we then stretch logic to breaking point........BMB and BYB could have been Baroda.
Can anyone add to or correct these wild assumptions?
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:11   #324
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Karl,
I have not seen any photos of BMA or BMB! I have pictures of most of the rest of BM but I had assumed A and B were never issued.
From what I can work out, BMT was issued as public transport (buses and taxis) in Bombay city in 1939 and BMW and then BMX were similarly for private vehicles. When the 1947 series started, I think they issued most of the rest of the BM series but I have no pictures of BMA, B, D, E, G, I, J, K, M, N, O or V. I would guess some were commercials only but if anyone has any photos they can share of these missing ones, that would be great.

On BY, the only ones I have listed are
BYA Ahmedabad
BYF, H Poona private
BYJ Nagpur private
BYL Poona commercial
BYY Nagpur commercial

I guess if BYA was Ahmedabad, logically (can we apply logic to these old plate series??) BMA might have been also. Maybe. If we then stretch logic to breaking point........BMB and BYB could have been Baroda.
Can anyone add to or correct these wild assumptions?
Cheers
Cedric
BMA and BMB vehicles were seen in the Richard Attenborough classic flick 'Gandhi'. (BMA 204 - Morris 8 cabrio and BMB 210 Ford Model A bus). Being a movie, the registrations may not necessarily be authentic.

Also I have seen a photo from the 70s/80s of a BMA registered Ford Model A. A BMV registered Jawa motorcycle was recently posted by Harit.

I also have somewhere a relatively recent photo of some british bike (partly visible) with the registration BMN 1228

Also another strange one was BYE 6*** that I saw recently on a british bike in Pune.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 18:13   #325
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Karl,
I have always wondered about those Ghandi film vehicles. I have discounted them to be honest as I don't think anyone knows if they are real numbers. Does anyone know where they film makers got the vehicles from?
I saw the picture of Harit's BMV and Harit thought it was probably a 1940s photo which might mean that BMW, BMX and BMV were issued between 1939 and 1947.
Harit, you will have to go out and find more of the great old vehicle photos you seem to manage to unearth and we will keep our fingers crossed for some BMA and BMB photos eventually.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 19:23   #326
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,923
Thanked: 2,570 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
BMA and BMB vehicles were seen in the Richard Attenborough classic flick 'Gandhi'. (BMA 204 - Morris 8 cabrio and BMB 210 Ford Model A bus). Being a movie, the registrations may not necessarily be authentic.

Also I have seen a photo from the 70s/80s of a BMA registered Ford Model A. A BMV registered Jawa motorcycle was recently posted by Harit.

I also have somewhere a relatively recent photo of some british bike (partly visible) with the registration BMN 1228

Also another strange one was BYE 6*** that I saw recently on a british bike in Pune.
I am doubtful that BMA & BMB existed. Because there is no real proof. If we have a old black + white photos of several vehicles showing such series, then we can accept that these existed. If a car is seen with such a number today, then I would like to see the registration book.
That one pic of BMV is genuine, there are several pictures, but only of one bike. I would like to see this registration series on other vehicles too.
I remember seeing BMN as temporary registration numbers on Ambassador cars in Mumbai in the 1970's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Karl,
I have always wondered about those Ghandi film vehicles. I have discounted them to be honest as I don't think anyone knows if they are real numbers. Does anyone know where they film makers got the vehicles from?
I saw the picture of Harit's BMV and Harit thought it was probably a 1940s photo which might mean that BMW, BMX and BMV were issued between 1939 and 1947.
Harit, you will have to go out and find more of the great old vehicle photos you seem to manage to unearth and we will keep our fingers crossed for some BMA and BMB photos eventually.
Cheers
Cedric
Yes, I keep looking for pics, shall post when I find these series.
I still feel that it went like BMW, BMX. BMY, BMZ, BMC, BMF, BML and last BMU for non commercial vehicles. Where did BMV fit in? I am not sure, but a Jawa bike of the late 1950's with a BMV as the last BM series would fit.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 19:35   #327
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,428
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Also another strange one was BYE 6*** that I saw recently on a british bike in Pune.
The brand new Fiats from Kurla Mumbai had the yellow with red alphanumericals BYE number plates even after Maharashtra was formed.
Ambassadors had the WGK yellow plates.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 17:07   #328
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Gents,
I have been really stupid! They way I file my photos, I have the temporary and dealer plates at the end. On looking in there, I find photos of......
dealer (white on red with a letter at the end (nearly always)):
BMN 156B
temporary (red on yellow)
BMB 234

Stupid boy that I am sometimes.

Interesting to see anjan_c2007 comments on BYE and WGK being temporary series also.
Excellent; together we can actually get to the truth it seems.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Images
  
sabinesnubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 20:45   #329
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,428
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The brand new Fiats from Kurla Mumbai had the yellow with red alphanumericals BYE number plates even after Maharashtra was formed.
Ambassadors had the WGK yellow plates.

Interesting to see anjan_c2007 comments on BYE and WGK being temporary series also.
Excellent; together we can actually get to the truth it seems.
Cheers
Cedric
And the Mahindra Jeeps (also the Jeep and Willys) had the temporary MRB plates (yellow plate with red alphanumericals).

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th June 2010 at 20:47.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 00:32   #330
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,512
Thanked: 918 Times
Default

a slight OT question - is it possible to transfer old bike vip reg. no. to new bike or car?

BTW i live in maharashtra.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware: Fake registration numbers on Imported Cars (proof on Pg 3) v12 The Indian Car Scene 102 9th November 2016 12:15
Transfering from Company registration to Individual registration joshi_pravin The Indian Car Scene 11 5th September 2016 10:11
Delhi: Online auction of fancy car registration numbers sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 5 9th March 2016 13:23
Numerology - Vehicle registration numbers totalling to eight banned in Tamilnadu RTO Murugan The Indian Car Scene 81 11th January 2014 04:19
Personal or Special Registration Numbers? (eg. HYH 4) ezee Shifting gears 6 2nd June 2012 22:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks