Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd October 2008, 19:50   #31
BHPian

My wife's family had a lovely 1952 Fleetmaster; BMU 2511 They sold it & at that time I did not bother. It was finally used by bootleggers & scrapped from Matunga Police Station
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Our cars were BMC9291 (select 1960), BMC8582 (standard 10 1960), BMC9008 (standard 10 1960) and BMC1158 (standard super 10 1958) so BMC was ending in 1960. Ravi, you are correct. I think BMC was one of the best series.

But you know they did something silly in Mumbai in 1989. They introduced BLI (Tardeo RTO), BLO (Andheri RTO) and MAX (Ghatkopar RTO) and they converted many BMCs and BMFs to these series. Our good friend Commander Vatcha's blue 1960 select used to be BMC, it got converted to BLI1116.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
That explains - I've seen a couple of selects some years ago, with a BLI number, and wondered what they were.. This is really silly, and now I'm beginning to get worried about by beloved MRX 6839's number when she finally gets transferred .
Any suggestions on how I can take pre emptive measures to avoid her number getting changed ?!? Our friend Deodhar (who came for the recent meet minus his 57 elegant) actually wrote to the transport commissioner, and somehow prevailed on the mandarins at tardeo to stop his BML from being converted to a BLI.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wasn't MSQ Mysore. My Heckflosse is MSQ
I had a Datsun owner earlier by the Actor Balaji which was registered as MEV 5901.
V16, MSQ is Tamilnadu which was called state of Madras.

ME and MY series are Karnataka (formerly state of Mysore). ME is for Bangalore city eg:MES xxxx and MY is for rest of Karnataka, eg. MYZ 1184 ...which happened to be my dad's second car, a 70s model MkII Ambassador.

Similarly MS series was Chennai city and MD series was rest of Tamilnadu.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd October 2008 at 06:26.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend has a 1960 BSA registerd under PJR thats is basically for city of Rohtak and then Punjab the registration still stays the same though after 1966 the city of Rohtak went into the State or Haryana on its formation
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:02   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
That explains - I've seen a couple of selects some years ago, with a BLI number, and wondered what they were.. This is really silly, and now I'm beginning to get worried about by beloved MRX 6839's number when she finally gets transferred .
Any suggestions on how I can take pre emptive measures to avoid her number getting changed ?!? Our friend Deodhar (who came for the recent meet minus his 57 elegant) actually wrote to the transport commissioner, and somehow prevailed on the mandarins at tardeo to stop his BML from being converted to a BLI.
Not to worry, your Bombay regd car is being transferred in Bombay itself, the number will be retained. Go ahead and make a neat "castingwalla" plate.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 00:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karl.
I'd almost ordered the "casting walla" number plate, but chickened out thinking my number will change. I'll now go ahead and do it stat. !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:51   #37
Team-BHP Support

The other day I was in a bookshop and came across a book "Delhi - Then and now" or something like that. I sneaked in this picture of what appears to be a Hanomag driving through the rains, the caption I think was "a rainy day in Delhi, 1937/39". The car is registered D 4607, black letters on a white plate. Does it add up?

Early registration numbers in India-01.jpg

OT - A similar looking (though hardtop) car made an appearence at the 1989 Delhi Statesman rally. Picture courtesy xoticars. Initally I thought the car to be a Horch, with the H logo, but Harit corrected me that it was a Hanomag. Any more surviving?
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2008, 15:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The other day I was in a bookshop and came across a book "Delhi - Then and now" or something like that. I sneaked in this picture of what appears to be a Hanomag driving through the rains, the caption I think was "a rainy day in Delhi, 1937/39". The car is registered D 4607, black letters on a white plate. Does it add up?

Attachment 65084

OT - A similar looking (though hardtop) car made an appearence at the 1989 Delhi Statesman rally. Picture courtesy xoticars. Initally I thought the car to be a Horch, with the H logo, but Harit corrected me that it was a Hanomag. Any more surviving?
This is neither a Horch, nor Hanomag; she's a Hansa (probably the 1700). The brand was owned by your namesake, with a different spelling - Carl Borgward.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 15:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
This is neither a Horch, nor Hanomag; she's a Hansa (probably the 1700). The brand was owned by your namesake, with a different spelling - Carl Borgward.
Thanks Prabal
Hmm, the same Borgward of Isabella fame? If he was German he should have been Karl, not Carl.

I believe that Jasdanwalla has a small Hansa in his collection. Never seen it though.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:17   #40
Team-BHP Support

Julian shared a couple of pics of cars from the movie Gandhi elsewhere on the forum. One appears to be a BMA regd Morris, the other a BMB regd Ford bus. Firstly are the numbers genuine or put on just for the movie? (A Fiat used in the same movie is on original plates BMW 7237). I was under the impression that BMA and BMB would be a commercial vehicle. BMB adds up, but what about the Morris?

I now have my doubts on the authenticity of the plates as both appear to be made in the same style and script, possibly for the movie.
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2008, 21:13   #41
BHPian

Gents,
Regarding the D 4607 plate, this should be a 1920s number at the latest from what we believe. However we also believe that the black on white plates for commercially used vehicles was not introduced until the 1939 system. Maybe an older number was then repainted to reflect the commercial usage?? Can anyone put a date to the car? I am notoriously bad at dating old cars! Mind you it is a strange car to be using as a taxi!

As for BMA and BMB, I would have to say that they are probably fakes for the film. I have no other pictures of either series so cannot say for certain, but if it is a 1939 series BMB number, it should be black on white for a commercially used vehicle. They certainly look like much later made plates with the letters the same size as the numbers. They actually look like they could have been made in the UK to be honest. Just about every genuine early plate we see has the letters smaller than the numbers - a standrad Indian trait. The Ford bus must be a 1920s vehicle surely and it would not have had a BMB plate originally. Can anyone date the two vehicles?

Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:12   #42
BHPian

Gentleman,
I spent some time today sorting out the last weeks pictures and information that I had and I have realized that D4607 (being black on white) is the same as D2 (photo 2-38 Delhi CinC Br army) and D6 (photo Deputy Commissioner Delhi 1937) that are both black on white. I believe that D4607 was taken around 1937-9 so that all of them are before the introduction of white commercial use plates.
I am beginning to wonder if white plates during the 1930s were for government officials or some other class of dignitory?
Anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers
Cedric
Old 7th February 2009, 21:07   #43
Team-BHP Support

An early Rudge motorcycle with regn CO3 spotted in Coimbatore here

Coimbatore vizha - Page 3
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2009, 17:51   #44
BHPian

Gents,
I have recently learnt that the first confirmed regular use of a car in Madras was in 1901 and that registration MC 1 (Madras City) definitely existed in 1904 and probably dates from 1902 or 1903. These were two different cars also.
This pushes back the date of first registrations considerably.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 4th May 2009, 12:40   #45
Team-BHP Support

Cedric and others, I have a queiry.

My 1956 Beetle was originally imported from Africa. It is unclear whether it came to India in 56 or 67. My regn. book gives all details only from 67 onwards, when it was registered in Pune as MHJ 5443. There is a little scribble in the book "Old Number MZY 966". Now MZ series was Maharashtra, in the 80s. Is it possibly the original Africa regn number?