Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st July 2012, 21:41   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
Another type of number found on an old picture, Navsari 132.
Was not aware that Navsari also had a separate set of registration.
So we have Kutch, Jamnagar and Navsari. Saurashtra also had the SSV series. Any more?

Cheers harit
Very interesting should check with a few friends on this bit ?

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:53   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Here is a CP registered car, Central Provinces, covering MP and surrounding area.
The headlight looks damaged because the boys head is blocking the view.
Attached Images

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:56   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a MN registered car, which I feel was issued in south India, Ooty region.
The car is described as a Holkar car, should have had a HS registration number.
Can Cedric share some info here, please?

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2012, 20:25   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

The car number is BGM 134. The Stoewer G 4 (?) car is from Midnapore, W.B. as is stated on the number plate. BG should stand for Bengal and M for Midnapore.

Name:  DSC06541.JPG
Views: 1429
Size:  133.5 KB
(sorry for the picture quality - my camera played truant)
The best thing I like here s that the Government of W.B. still allows such registrations to flourish. Hats off to them for allowing us to preserve history!

More about Stoewer and its products:-

Gebrüder Stoewer

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2012 at 20:49.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 13:48   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a MN registered car, which I feel was issued in south India, Ooty region.
The car is described as a Holkar car, should have had a HS registration number.
Can Cedric share some info here, please?

Cheers harit

Harit,
The only pre 1939 MN series I have is Nilgiris in the Madras Presidency. Post 1939 it became Manipur. The car certainly looks like it should be a pre war registration so I can only guess it had arrived from Nilgiris registered already - maybe a second hand purchse?
Best I can do on that
Cheers
Cedric

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 4th July 2012 at 13:51.
sabinesnubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 19:45   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a CP registered car, Central Provinces, covering MP and surrounding area.....
Any comments Cedric, which period was this registration valid? This is just CP, later we again had CP in combination with a third letter like CPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car number is BGM 134. .....(sorry for the picture quality - my camera played truant)
The best thing I like here s that the Government of W.B. still allows such registrations to flourish. ....
That picture hurts the eyes
I don't think that the Government officially allows this old number. You have to change it when you transfer the car.
I believe that there are two Stoewer's in India, the second was for sale many years ago. Or...

Here is another odd one, seen for the first time by me. BYO or BYD, as the plate is white it would be commercial, or temporary? Cedric, over to you.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2012, 20:24   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

This is Netaji Subhas Bose's car on display at Netaji Bhavan, Kolkata. Its original number plate is intact. The paint coat is of a later date I am told but all else is original.

Early registration numbers in India-copy-2-dsc00148.jpg
Old 7th July 2012, 11:38   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Is that a 170 V ?

Cheers

Quote:
This is Netaji Subhas Bose's car on display at Netaji Bhavan, Kolkata. Its original number plate is intact. The paint coat is of a later date I am told but all else is original.

Attachment 952331
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:39   #504
BHPian

Harit,
CP on it own is just a wee bit of a problem. We know it existed in the pre-war series and was for most of Central Provinces and Berar EXCEPT that we believe the following were seperately registered:
BTR Bastar
CKN Chhiukadan
JPR Jashpur
KGH Khairagarh
KNK Kankar
KOR Korea
KW Kawardha
NDG Nandgoan
RGR Raigarh
UDR Udaipur
This is a photo of a definitely pre war CP
Whether any of the CPB, CPO, etc existed pre war is unknown at present but the registrations do exist on pre war cars. I am assuming that they were reregistered as everything was for the 1939/1940 series

We believe the CP alone series continued in 1939 (but I cannot absolutely guarantee that) and was joined by CPJ - Jabalpur, CPP - police and CPZ for government owned vehicles. I have photos of CPB, D, F, H, M, O, R, S and U but I do not know which places they are. Anyone know?

Is your photo of CP 3282 a post war car? I am guessing it is.

BYD 1032 (I believe it is BYD) is a 1939 series for Bombay (state not city). The registrations are by vehicle class I am pretty sure not by place with D, P, U, X, Y being known to be commercial vehicles. I have photos of most of the letters on private vehicles except for E, I, M, O, Q, R, S, T, V and W that have not been seen by me. The series carried on until 1962.
You are doing a great job with these old photos!

Cheers
Cedric
Attached Images

sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 12:11   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are the books upto date? Doubtful, as BL series gave way to WB series and all cars were reregistered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is that a 170 V ? Cheers
No, a German car marque called Wanderer. Wanderer also made bikes. They were a part of Auto Union but the plants found themselves in East Germany and never restarted production. Maybe there is a Wanderer bike in India, but I don't know of another car. Someone took close up photos and posted on this forum before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Harit,
...........Is your photo of CP 3282 a post war car? I am guessing it is.

BYD 1032 (I believe it is BYD) is a 1939 series for Bombay (state not city). The registrations are by vehicle class I am pretty sure not by place with D, P, U, X, Y being known to be commercial vehicles. I have photos of most of the letters on private vehicles except for E, I, M, O, Q, R, S, T, V and W that have not been seen by me. The series carried on until 1962.
You are doing a great job with these old photos! Cheers Cedric
Thanks. Both the CP photos are cars of the 1930's. That Ford A with the Leopard is my photo posted on prewarcar.com. It could be a 1928 model also, having been modified.

Cheers harit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 7th July 2012 at 15:58. Reason: On request
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 13:54   #506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Lets give the BY series an update then.

BYA - Bombay State, part that is now in Gujarat, probably Ahmedabad. These numbers were all reregistered in the 1960s to GJx series. I have 12 numbers from old photos, including BYA 6000, my uncle's Austin. Now not valid.

BYB - Probably same as above, seen in old photos, but not seen anymore so probably Gujarat, maybe Baroda? Probably now not valid. I have BYB 1484, a 1954/56 Fiat in an old photo from the forum.

BYC - Same as above. BYC 6217 was the Nawanagar/Pratapgarh Lanchester which later became GJY 4756, registered with the Rajkot RTO. Probably now not valid.

BYD - seen for first time in Harit's photo, probably now confirmed as a commercial series. My guess would be this too was present day Gujarat, as we have not seen any survivors.

BYE - I have seen one bike in Pune with this series, again I would think it to be a Gujarat series, now not valid.

BYF - still valid, prvate car/bike. Pune and maybe Kolhapur. Replaced by BYH around 1953/54.

BYG - still valid, private car/bike. Probably Aurangabad or thereabouts.

BYH - still valid, private car/bike. Pune, 1954 onwards till 1961/62. My 1960 Standard Pennant is registered Dec 1960. A Standard Herald, MHP 245, was registered Feb 1962.

BYI - no record

BYJ - Still valid, private car/bike. Nagpur, Amravati and that region.

BYK - Still valid, private car/bike. No idea where in Bombay State.

BYL - commercial series, still valid, I have seen trucks, fire engines and taxis in Pune and Satara region.

BYM - mentioned somewhere on the forum as the old number of a Rolls (new number MRJ), which came orginally from Gujarat. So probably correct, but now not valid.

BYN - Still valid, private car/bike. Maybe in the Nashik vicinity, not sure.

BYO - no record

BYP - seen in old photos on trucks. No idea on present validity. (Could be Gujarat or Bombay State).

BYQ - no record

BYR - no record

BYS - no record

BYT - no record

BYU - Commerical and taxi series, still valid. Probably Aurangabad.

BYV - no record

BYW - Still valid, commerical series. I've seen a few in Pune.

BYX - still valid, commerical (I have seen taxis as a child).

BYY - commerical, seen at events on a truck in Nagpur.

BYZ - still valid, private car/bike.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 14:17   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lets give the BY series an update then.
BYM - mentioned somewhere on the forum as the old number of a Rolls (new number MRJ), which came orginally from Gujarat. So probably correct, but now not valid.
I would place BYM to be Surat and surroundings.

Cheers harit
Old 7th July 2012, 14:22   #508
BHPian

Kasli, Netaji's car has been previously identified to be a wanderer if I remember, on this forum itself. Of course I may have got my wires mixed up so please search and confirm.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 19:50   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are the books upto date? Doubtful, as BL series gave way to WB series and all cars were reregistered.
No, a German car marque called Wanderer. Wanderer also made bikes. They were a part of Auto Union but the plants found themselves in East Germany and never restarted production. Maybe there is a Wanderer bike in India, but I don't know of another car. Someone took close up photos and posted on this forum before.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Kasli, Netaji's car has been previously identified to be a wanderer if I remember, on this forum itself. Of course I may have got my wires mixed up so please search and confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is that a 170 V ?

Cheers
Yes in fact this is a Wanderer. We have identified the car earlier when I had posted many more pictures, in the "Vintage and Classic Cars on Display" thread. Its here at post# 2

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...y-india-7.html (Vintage and Classic Cars on Display in India)

harit, in fact I am not sure whether the RC/TC books are upto date. The car is now a heritage property and to preserve history, this number is going to be preserved forever.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th July 2012 at 20:03.
Old 7th July 2012, 19:54   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Here are two more of the Wanderer.

The first picture is courtesy of ibnlive.com and the second has been posted before:

Name:  SubashChandra Bose Wanderer Frt 3Q.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  38.5 KB

Early registration numbers in India-subashchandra-bose-wanderer-side.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote