Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 21:09   #991
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

I found UBF 37XX listed in an RC book as the previous registration of a car that has moved states in the 1980s.
I don't recall seeing any pics of UBF cars.
Was UBF an Uttar Pradesh series? For which years?
Or is the UBF a typo ? Perhaps it could be WBF ?

Name:  image1 6.JPG
Views: 696
Size:  90.7 KB

Last edited by thebulletboy : 6th July 2016 at 21:12.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 16:02   #992
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
I found UBF 37XX listed in an RC book as the previous registration of a car that has moved states in the 1980s.
I don't recall seeing any pics of UBF cars.
Was UBF an Uttar Pradesh series? For which years?
Or is the UBF a typo ? Perhaps it could be WBF ?
Bulletboy,
I have no UBx series on my 1947 series list. If it was WBF, it would be a West Bengal pre 1973 series number. Is that possible and do you know which state it was moving from?
UBx could be an early 1930s registration from Leeds in the UK so that would be unlikely or a 1950s/60s series from Uganda, Kabarole - a small place in Western Uganda so I think that is unlikely also.

UPF would be a Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh) registration from 1950-73. Is that more likely?

Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 16:18   #993
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Bulletboy,
If it was WBF, it would be a West Bengal pre 1973 series number. Is that possible and do you know which state it was moving from?

UPF would be a Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh) registration from 1950-73. Is that more likely?
The car in question is a 1964 Hindustan Mark 2 Ambassador. I think we can safely rule out UK and Uganda.

Unfortunately the book does not mention the home state. Just a handwritten registration and a 7/12/64 date, which I assume is the date of first registration in the home state. The car moved to Karnataka in 1986 and acquired a CAY series number.

So I guess it must be either WBF or UPF then (with WBF being the more likely candidate, I think).

Last edited by thebulletboy : 7th July 2016 at 16:20.
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 17:51   #994
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
The car in question is a 1964 Hindustan Mark 2 Ambassador. I think we can safely rule out UK and Uganda.

Unfortunately the book does not mention the home state. Just a handwritten registration and a 7/12/64 date, which I assume is the date of first registration in the home state. The car moved to Karnataka in 1986 and acquired a CAY series number.

So I guess it must be either WBF or UPF then (with WBF being the more likely candidate, I think).
I would guess it to be UPF because 8 years after series started and number is only 3700 plus.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 22:00   #995
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 3,531 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Does anyone know when the Calcutta / Bengal numerical registration numbers (no alphabets / prefix/suffix) started ?



The first number is "1" and approximately "25500" by 1929.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 00:23   #996
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Does anyone know when the Calcutta / Bengal numerical registration numbers (no alphabets / prefix/suffix) started ?
Travancore,
I believe that 21 was an Oakland. According to Wikipedia, the Oakland car company started production in 1908. I would therefore suggest 1908 could be the first registration. 893 was photographed in what is claimed to be 1908 also.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 11:22   #997
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Here is a 1980s Bajaj scooter for sale. I have never see TLx series before, I assume Tamil Nadu.

Name:  tlb.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  68.1 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 00:55   #998
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a 1980s Bajaj scooter for sale. I have never see TLx series before, I assume Tamil Nadu.
Karl,
I have TLx as being Tamil Nadu 1979-
I have no idea where in Tamil Nadu TLB was.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 17:30   #999
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,923
Thanked: 2,570 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

This is a part of a photo of Grand Hotel Calcutta. In front of the hotel is a line of cars which appear to be taxi's. Lovely Buick here.
The registration is T 231.
This appears to be a series for Taxi's as otherwise 231 was the registration of a Swift.

The question is, are we aware that there was a "T" series for taxi's in Calcutta? From the car it appears to be mid 1920's.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 24th August 2016 at 17:32.
harit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 17:36   #1000
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a part of a photo of Grand Hotel Calcutta. In front of the hotel is a line of cars which appear to be taxi's. Lovely Buick here.
The registration is T 231.
This appears to be a series for Taxi's as otherwise 231 was the registration of a Swift.

The question is, are we aware that there was a "T" series for taxi's in Calcutta? From the car it appears to be mid 1920's.

Cheers harit
Indeed Calcutta had a Taxi series with 'T', this particular car is a Buick registered to Kapur Singh, 113, Lake Road, Tollygunge. It is noteworthy that most of the taxies / public conveyance vehicles were registered to Sikh names even in the 20s.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 13:20   #1001
Senior - BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 3,254 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a part of a photo of Grand Hotel Calcutta. In front of the hotel is a line of cars which appear to be taxi's. Lovely Buick here.
The registration is T 231.
This appears to be a series for Taxi's as otherwise 231 was the registration of a Swift.

Cheers harit
Please post the entire picture !


Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Indeed Calcutta had a Taxi series with 'T', this particular car is a Buick registered to Kapur Singh, 113, Lake Road, Tollygunge. It is noteworthy that most of the taxies / public conveyance vehicles were registered to Sikh names even in the 20s.
Talking about Sikh's being in the taxi business forever, here are couple of pictures/painting from Calcutta, the first one is a native scene, you can notice couple of cars driven by what seem like Sikh drivers, the green tourer in the middle of the scene even sports a meter.

Early registration numbers in India-native-scene-calcutta.jpg

This picture below is from around 1945, and shows a taxi with a meter and of course Sikh Gentlemen in the drivers seat !

Name:  Calcutta 1945 14.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  78.4 KB

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 26th August 2016 at 13:37.
KartikeyaL is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 03:30   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 3,531 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Early registration numbers in India-calcutta-d-miller-jewellers-192x.jpg


Here is another version of the same photo. The large building is The Grand Hotel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  Calcutta 1929 TBHP.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  114.7 KB

"T-1610" is a 6 cylinder 5-Seat Essex belonging to Saliq Ram Sarma
"943" is described as a 4 cylinder, 2-Seat Oldsmobile belonging to Mr. Marchinston. Looks like a 1920 stake truck, sans headlamps.

Last edited by travancore : 27th August 2016 at 03:37.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 11:58   #1003
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,408 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Came across this image the other day of what is supposedly a bus plying in Kerala. The registration ND 15381 is unknown to me.

Name:  IMG_1681.JPG
Views: 405
Size:  67.0 KB
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 12:28   #1004
Senior - BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 3,254 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Came across this image the other day of what is supposedly a bus plying in Kerala. The registration ND 15381 is unknown to me.

Attachment 1556874
More about this picture

Quote:
Picture was taken in 1955 shows a typical Indian-owned bus, This example is a 1946 model AEC Regent III bus belonging to Lakeview Passenger Transport which was owned by Mr Ramroop
source :
http://keralasnostalgia.blogspot.in/...955-shows.html

Some information about the present series in Kerala is given on the blogspot below, maybe ND was also on these lines

http://www.ksrtcblog.com/specials/st...or-ksrtc-buses

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 21st September 2016 at 12:34.
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 19:37   #1005
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
More about this picture

source :
http://keralasnostalgia.blogspot.in/...955-shows.html

Some information about the present series in Kerala is given on the blogspot below, maybe ND was also on these lines

http://www.ksrtcblog.com/specials/st...or-ksrtc-buses
I doubt whether this Bus is from Kerala at all for 3 reasons, The fleet owners name is definitely not south indian and the background doesnt look a kerala landscape.
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware: Fake registration numbers on Imported Cars (proof on Pg 3) v12 The Indian Car Scene 102 9th November 2016 12:15
Transfering from Company registration to Individual registration joshi_pravin The Indian Car Scene 11 5th September 2016 10:11
Delhi: Online auction of fancy car registration numbers sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 5 9th March 2016 13:23
Numerology - Vehicle registration numbers totalling to eight banned in Tamilnadu RTO Murugan The Indian Car Scene 81 11th January 2014 04:19
Personal or Special Registration Numbers? (eg. HYH 4) ezee Shifting gears 6 2nd June 2012 22:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks