Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 19:46   #1006
BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 804
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

You are probably correct , just noticed the name of the town on the bus "Hippomere " which is in Durban, SA
KartikeyaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 22:06   #1007
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,186
Thanked: 1,713 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Guys, any idea how a 'modern' car is sporting a number such as this?

Name:  upload1.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  upload2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  59.4 KB

Spotted in Gurgaon today.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 23:04   #1008
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 628
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, any idea how a 'modern' car is sporting a number such as this?
Must be from Punjab, numbers are transferable


Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I too have very few PJx numbers, but it is also important to keep in mind that in Punjab you can transfer numbers, so often older numbers are reissued to newer cars.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 09:54   #1009
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,186
Thanked: 1,713 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Must be from Punjab, numbers are transferable
I know about this practice in Punjab. But what's confusing is, this number appears to be from Delhi or Kanpur (as brought up earlier in this thread back in 2012). Hence my query.

Can anyone confirm if this is a early Punjab number?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 12:42   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Were there ever "M" registrations in Madras Presidency? I was under the impression that these were "MC" and later expanded to "MCP". Maybe this was spoken about earlier and I have forgotten.
This question came up when I got this pic showing both types of registrations.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:17   #1011
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,563
Thanked: 68,106 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Thanks to Darshan Patel for sharing!

He got a picture of a bicycle registration purchased in 1947 (it's in Gujarati).

Bicycle owner- Vallabh Natha Kanbi
License Issuer - Police Superintendent
Gondal State
Authorized by - In Kingdom of H.H. Maharaja Thakore Shri Sir Bhagwat Singhji Sagramji Sahib Bahadur, Maharaja of Gondal GCSI, GCIE (then only a GCIE)

Early registration numbers in India-img20161107wa0020.jpg

Early registration numbers in India-img20161107wa0018.jpg

Early registration numbers in India-img20161107wa0019.jpg
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:31   #1012
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 6,662 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, any idea how a 'modern' car is sporting a number such as this?


Spotted in Gurgaon today.
Old registration plates are transferable in Punjab and Delhi but IIRC the clauses are slightly different with respect to retaining/scraping the old vehicle.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 21:46   #1013
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 316
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Were there ever "M" registrations in Madras Presidency? I was under the impression that these were "MC" and later expanded to "MCP". Maybe this was spoken about earlier and I have forgotten.
This question came up when I got this pic showing both types of registrations.

Cheers harit
Harit,
The only M alone registrations I have on the list is Mandi in Punjab. I have not seen an M alone from Madras.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:10   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Harit,
The only M alone registrations I have on the list is Mandi in Punjab. I have not seen an M alone from Madras.
Cheers
Cedric
Hey Cedric,

In the meanwhile I got it.
It is Malacca.
Seems our Indian folks also migrated to those eastern shores even in the 1920's.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 04:09   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 3,253 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Early registration numbers in India-standard-mcp8306.jpg

Somewhere in the Madras Presidency I assume.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 00:44   #1016
BHPian
 
Jag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I know about this practice in Punjab. But what's confusing is, this number appears to be from Delhi or Kanpur (as brought up earlier in this thread back in 2012). Hence my query.

Can anyone confirm if this is a early Punjab number?
This is a Delhi number. Old numbers are very much transferable in delhi.

For reference, have a look at this :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3409906 (Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car)

Edit: Sorry for going slightly OT.
Jag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 12:05   #1017
BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 804
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

cross posting , this could be from Rangoon, then a part of British India as per the quoted post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
RC-9 is Rangoon (Burma). R, RA and RB were issued when it was still part of British India but in 1937, Burma was split off and administered separately.
Cheers
Cedric

Early registration numbers in India-ind.jpg

Early registration numbers in India-ind-1.jpg
KartikeyaL is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 15:30   #1018
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 316
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
cross posting , this could be from Rangoon, then a part of British India as per the quoted post below.
Kartikeyal,
I am sorry but I don't actually think it is R for Rangoon.
When I blow it up I think it looks like P or F.nnnn and my best guess is P.8900.
It is an early car (20s at the latest I guess) and to me, the location looks more tropical than India. However the style of the registration is very much British India rather than anything else.
Although there was P for Punjab and P.8399 was photographed in the 20s, it could be from Pinang (Penang) in the Straits Settlements close to Singapore. It was actually pretty rare for code letters to be duplicated around the British Empire back in those days although, unfortunately, the Malay unfederated states and the straits Settlements were duplicated a lot with British India.
I don't know of any tropical F registrations although I guess there were some in the colonies in Africa.

Is it possible it is Punjab?
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Images
  
sabinesnubbing is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 15:39   #1019
BHPian
 
KartikeyaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 804
Thanked: 2,376 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Kartikeyal,
I am sorry but I don't actually think it is R for Rangoon.
When I blow it up I think it looks like P or F.nnnn and my best guess is P.8900.
It is an early car (20s at the latest I guess) and to me, the location looks more tropical than India. However the style of the registration is very much British India rather than anything else.
Although there was P for Punjab and P.8399 was photographed in the 20s, it could be from Pinang (Penang) in the Straits Settlements close to Singapore. It was actually pretty rare for code letters to be duplicated around the British Empire back in those days although, unfortunately, the Malay unfederated states and the straits Settlements were duplicated a lot with British India.
I don't know of any tropical F registrations although I guess there were some in the colonies in Africa.

Is it possible it is Punjab?
Cheers
Cedric
You are right it looks more like P, if you look at this other picture the people look like from India, looking at the architecture of the house, I somehow feel it could not be from Punjab.

Early registration numbers in India-.jpg
KartikeyaL is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 15:59   #1020
BHPian
 
sabinesnubbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 316
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
You are right it looks more like P, if you look at this other picture the people look like from India, looking at the architecture of the house, I somehow feel it could not be from Punjab.
Kartikeyal,
I agree the architecture does not look typically Indian to me......mind you, I am not an Indian and have never been in Punjab. The roof on that other photo reminds me of old, old British railway station roofs!
We know from many other photos and records that people from British India moved around the Empire and we have a few photos from Africa and the Malay area of Indian people.
I have just checked and the registration is much, much too high for Penang so that is out now. Two Penang photos attached both in non-B.I. style and both very much later.
I think I have to put my money on a very strange house design in Punjab.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-malss_p3338_jpvb.jpg  

Attached Images
 
sabinesnubbing is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beware: Fake registration numbers on Imported Cars (proof on Pg 3) v12 The Indian Car Scene 102 9th November 2016 12:15
Transfering from Company registration to Individual registration joshi_pravin The Indian Car Scene 11 5th September 2016 10:11
Delhi: Online auction of fancy car registration numbers sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 5 9th March 2016 13:23
Numerology - Vehicle registration numbers totalling to eight banned in Tamilnadu RTO Murugan The Indian Car Scene 81 11th January 2014 04:19
Personal or Special Registration Numbers? (eg. HYH 4) ezee Shifting gears 6 2nd June 2012 22:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks